Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At what point do you give in?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

So I arrive in Grandvalria on Sunday and the conditions look challenging.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/El-Tarter-Soldeu/6day/mid

A week ago there was very little snow, now it just is not stopping. We arrive early on Sunday and could ski at least half a day. Holiday starts for real on Monday.

Visibility, high winds not looking the best. At what point do you just call it a day or just not even try?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you open the curtains in the morning?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks amazing to me.... when the lifts close??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roscoeh wrote:
Hi, .... At what point do you just call it a day or just not even try?

At 4pm, if the lifts are still on wind-hold. 😎
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes. Good answers. Can't be any worse than Scotland.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiG wrote:

Wuss - Have you no skins? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your question is what, exactly?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well i think at least a push to the nearest mountain refuge is usually worth it. Then reassess over a snack and beer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it is supposed to be a holiday, so if at any stage during the week you dont quite fancy it, go for a walk instead, or just do something different, you dont have to go skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
compostcorner wrote:
it is supposed to be a holiday, so if at any stage during the week you dont quite fancy it, go for a walk instead, or just do something different, you dont have to go skiing.

Say what?!? 😱😱😱
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my youth, having to 'lucky dip' my hand into 80s style salopettes (the skin tight ones) trying to find the pound that I knew was there, but my fingers were numb to. To pay the nice lady for a hot chocolate. Took many dips and much longer than either of us would have preferred.
Nowadays I'm much more of a woose and quit before my extremities do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When your to drunk to crawl...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Thornyhill, @ulmerhutte, Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
essex wrote:
Well i think at least a push to the nearest mountain refuge is usually worth it. Then reassess over a snack and beer.

Yes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
snow conditions
@musher, have you tried having a sensible debate on the Brexit thread?
snow report
If you do go up keep low use Gondolas if you can and keep warm. I love skiing when it's snowing but the high winds could take the edge off it. There again Tuesday/Wednesday will be fabulous.
snow report
There's no such thing as too bad weather. There's just inappropriate clothing.

Seriously, it really depends on whether you have the clothing to stay warm and comfortable. If the answer is yes, no reason not to. But if you're miserable, and don't want to spent the money to buy more clothes, then by all means head to the nearest bar.

(not much can be done about low vis. Try stay in the tree-lined runs if possible. If not, there's no shame to ride the bar seat)
ski holidays
roscoeh wrote:
At what point do you just call it a day or just not even try?

I don't get much time to read at home. If it is snowing hard then a morning with my nose in a book, followed by a nice lunch, is a perfectly OK way to spend the day. It's a holiday.
latest report
I'd put off buying a pass until Monday after seeing what is open!
snow report
One of my best days of skiing ever was in Grandvalira when it was snowing heavily, myself and some off duty instuctors had the mountain almost to ourselves as everyone else had quit for the day. We were taking the same lift and run back to back but our previous tracks had almost disappeared each run with fine dry powder snow going over our shoulders Very Happy
ski holidays
I've packed in due to very heavy rain, it was just damn unpleasant.

I've also finished a bit early on a foggy day as the visibility was so poor it was dangerous.

Like tango above had a cracking day in heavy snow, think it snowed a metre in the day, with an instructor staying very low and sking in amongst the trees, some on piste, some just off. Fabulous fun and learnt a lot.
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
SkiG wrote:

Wuss - Have you no skins? Toofy Grin

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Like @tangowaggon, one of my best days skiing was up on Solaise in almost whiteout conditions where I had the whole place almost to myself. OTOH, one of the other guys in my hotel was also up there and ended up skiing into a hole and breaking his neck. Took quite a while before anyone found him cos, of course, there was no one else around to see him.
snow conditions
@roscoeh, I hope you get to the resort ok. I think the weather Gods have made your decision for you. Just looked at the resort site and mountains are closed. One webcam is offline, one looks as if it has moved from it's normal view and the one in at the top in Soldeu is reporting 100km+ winds....

They may open up later but at the moment it looks brutal. The rest of the week should be calming down. And Tuesday Wednesday on will be fabulous

Oh btw mobile costs are huge in Andorra as its not in the eu so use wifi and WhatsApp skype etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy