Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help with planning Mrch ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

If this is the wrong forum, please redirect me Smile

My husband and I (30-32, from Israel) want to go skiing in mid March.
We skied twice before- club med Les Arc, and self planned (with the great help of people from this forum) a week in Saalbach Austrai, both were great.

Looking for a ski resort near Geneva, would be happy to find:
1. A comfortable resort which is big enough for us intermediate (or beginers?), doesn't need to have night life.
2. Good chance of snow for mid March
3.ski in/out hotel, doesn't need to be fancy at all.
4. An excellent school.
And, we are on a tight budget. After the flight, we are left with 1100 euros eaxh for all the rest.
Do you think I can find all of the above? Can somone recommend a place he stayed and school he used?

Thank you very very much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will be lots...!!

Two that I've been to (and really liked!) are Avoriaz (Portes du Soleil) and Flaine (Grand Massif). I'd suggest both would have snow, Flaine isn't quite ski in/out (depends where you are), and both can be fairly subdued re: night life.

Not used any schools in either I'm afraid, so nothing to add there.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Budget 250 euros pass, 150 euros ski school, 100 euros equipment leaves 600 euros for accomodation. Ski in/ out may be challenge but would have thought you could secure independent chalet or hotel comfortably within your budget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EarthWindandWater's suggestions make sense - definitely in terms of proximity to Geneva.

I stayed in Morzine (also part of the Portes du Soleil) in mid-March last year, and am going back the same time this year; it was great. Snow was fine and dandy, especially higher up - making Avoriaz perhaps slightly more appealing, though Morzine is nicer as a 'real' town, and the SuperMorzine lift gets you quickly up high from the centre of Morzine to Avoriaz, kind of negating the need for ski in/out if you find somewhere central to stay.

I skied in Flaine in December for the first time last year (when there wasn't a lot of snow). There is ski in/out to be had - we stayed in the higher bit (Flaine Forêt) in the cheapest of the cheap Madame Vacances apartments; had there been enough snow we'd have been within hopping distance of a piste.

I did an instructor course with BASS in Morzine last year, whilst my ski buddy for the trip was having beginner lessons with them. We both found them to be brilliant. Haven't used a school in Flaine I'm afraid, so can't add much there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, I think I'll look into Avoriaz, I already checked out"BASS Morzine".
I saw that Easybus goes to Avoriaz, might be a good idea, very cheap! Haven't been able to find affordable accomodation (through booking.com) yet, I'll keep looking.

Thank again!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@michald depends what you're looking for, i stayed in the self catering Pierre& Vacances partnents towards the top of Avoriaz.

Good rooms and good ski lockers, its a bit of a walk uphill from the bars / restaurants in the evening but no hardship. We found the supermarche to be reasonably priced too.

Otherwise as @UkuleleDave says, plenty options in Morzine, 3 lifts take you straight to the top of Avoriaz to see the Swiss side, or Les Geys the other way. More options for evening food / entertainment too!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 13-01-17 23:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@michald, try the chalets direct solutions room for accommodation.
http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/solution-wizard.asp?fid=1&action=writenew&displaytype=flat
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I already posted on chaletsdirect, thank you so much!
I checked out Pierre& Vacances in Avoriaz, it had very mixed reviews and some nasty looking pictures...are there a few in Avoriaz?

Will you think i'm very confused if I tell you I'm thinking about going to Italy instead?
I read here what people wrote about Livinio and Paso Tonale, and from what I've been researching in the last couple of hours, it seems like it can be cheaper and very nice. Of course this means landing in Milan.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a couple of P&V buildings, but i thought they were pretty much the same...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, now I see there are 4 different ones!
If I book it, I'll definitely check with you which one you stayed in, thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Italy will be cheaper and arguably more pleasant than France. Less crowded and prettier.

If you are flying fromTel Aviv I guess you have limited number of options for cheap flights. You probably want to work that out first - maybe you have hence Geneva and Milan on easy jet I presume - and then resort.

But Passa Tonale is supposed to be a really good resort for beginners and intermediates. Convenient blue slopes near the resort some long cruisey blues and some more challenging stuff to move onto.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@michald, We've stayed at the PV in L'amara a couple of times, going back on the 4th March, and found the accomidation excellent. There's a pool and spa area which is a great way to wind down after a day on the slopes. There are a couple of bars and restaurants in the area and a well stocked supermarket. It also has a Skiset hire shop on site if needed. It's a little way outside the main area of Avoriaz but you can easily book a horse drawn sleigh to take you in to "town" if you fancy a change of scenery. You literally walk out of the ski locker room and you're on the slopes so it's definitely ski in ski out. Enjoy wherever you book.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RedorDead thanks, I checked and they are fully booked, that's ashame because it sounds amazing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy