Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time in Val d'Isere!

Poster: A snowHead
My friends and I will be skiing in Val d'Isere next week for the first time, and I just cannot wait Smile ! Would you mind sharing your recommendations as to the restaurants in the village/on the mountain, apres spots and other attractions that should not be missed while there?

Thank you! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alenchic, you've timed it well, with lots of snow arriving now! On the mountain, two places I've found lunch food good over many years.
Le Signal - near the main gondola base station above La Fornet.
Le Trifollet - just above La Daille.
Enjoy.
Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you ski over to Tignes nice pizzerias at Val Claret.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
might see you there - i'm heading over on Sunday for the week Smile enjoy its a great ski area
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100 wrote:
If you ski over to Tignes nice pizzerias at Val Claret.

Like La Pignatta IIRC
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
love my pizza with an egg on it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not so good on après ski spots, but restaurants.....

There's so many, of so many standards (high and higher). If you are a septic, Peau De Vache half way up Belvard for a real burger snowHead

Trifollet and Signal are great, just be aware Signal has an exquisite full service resto upstairs and a more mundane self serve down. If there's one I never miss it's L'Arolay. It appears to have had a change around this season, but it's worth a look. Couple of hundred yards down the road from the bottom of the Fornet telepherique for lunch, or straight off the bus if you come up from Val for dinner. Great food, great atmosphere. Used to have a fixed price evening menu with unlimited wine (works for me!).

Edelweiss above Fornet regularly appears in the European top ten. I could go on, I'm salivating just thinking about them.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very jealous Val is my favourite resort. Cocorico is my pick for best apres. Its under the solaise lift. Its basically on the Val nursery slope. Live music outdoor always busy. Cafe Face is also ok for apres. Its cheap (for val) if you get in there early.

Restaurant wise it depends if you want cheap and cheerful or fien dining. I think some of the more high end ones have been mentioned. If you ski over to Tignes on a sunny day Tignes Cusine is great. You get burritos and chips for about 10-12euro. Always really busy food is great.

If I was to have one great meal on the mountain id go to the panoramic which is in Val Claret at the bottom of the grand motte glacier gondola.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To kick off apres go to the Folie Douce (top of the la Daille bubble) just to see all the fun. If you ski down the blue run Diebold at about 3.30pm you will hear it before you see it. However don't buy more than one drink because it costs an arm and a leg. Dance about for a bit then head down to Cocorico which is MUCH better.

La Rosee Blanche at the bottom of La Daille on the bridge is nice for a chilled drink in the sun (the restaurant underneath called Le Barillon is nice too). Cafe Face is OK. Moris pub is good for burgers and live bands. Saloon Bar near the ski school meeting point at the Front de Neige is OK.

For the best apres you want La Folie Douce and Cocorico.

Later on it's Cafe Face and Dicks T bar. Maybe Le Petit Danois if you don't mind a bar full of teenage seasonaires and rude staff.

For lunch I like La Peau de Vache on the Face black run, Le Clochetons down in the Manchet valley, Edelweiss over in Fornet, Triffolet - and Coffee and La Pignatta in Tignes.

Val is my fave resort and I'll be back in March. Have an awesome time!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@HoneyBunny has basically posted what I was going to post - Edelweiss stands out for me, particularly on a sunny day. And the Mangard blue is one of my favourites in the EK.

Not sure what standard skier / boarder you are but the biggest attraction in the EK for me is the red Arcelle down to the Manchet valley as well as the black Sache down to Les Brevieres ... if you head that way then the L'Armailly is lovely for lunch.

Only 5 weeks to go ... enjoy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try hitting the 'five points' in a day:- (1) Fornet - (2) top of the Val glacier - (via the 'up & over lift') (3) la Daille - (4) top of the Tignes glacier - (via the 'Eye of the needle') (5) Tignes le Brevieres.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all! I am so excited to try these places Smile. Flying out today...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie wrote:
Try hitting the 'five points' in a day:- (1) Fornet - (2) top of the Val glacier - (via the 'up & over lift') (3) la Daille - (4) top of the Tignes glacier - (via the 'Eye of the needle') (5) Tignes le Brevieres.

We shall be trying something like this but likely in the other direction to make sure we get back to Val! Hopefully all on ifts and no buses involved.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val Despair has good food and nitelife wherever you go.

All Eurocheese pizzas and Eurocheese music.

It is basically Verbier for poor people.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:

Aren't you a ray of sunshine ... wink
snow conditions
If you go with the expectation that Val d'Isere is for poor people you will get a brutal awakening.
There is a lot of overpriced crap there, particularly some on mountain eats.
Trip to Les Brevieres for lunch is often worthwhile with some decent food in the village.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Haha you couldn't be more wrong. It's is absolutely light years ahead of Verbier. The skiing terrain, lift system, apres, nightlife, price, Val wins in every category. If Val is for poor people I'd love to know where you go skiing.
ski holidays
I think he may have been joking there.......
ski holidays
Does anyone know whether you can access the Le Peau de Vache by lift (can you get to it by taking the Bellevarde Express) and, more importantly, whether you can get to the Loyes Express from it after lunch?

Would like to take our kids there but don't want them to leave their lunch on the Face.

Thanks
ski holidays
@franga, the Bellevarde Express gets you there and you're also allowed to ride down on it I think. I'm sure a snowHead based there could confirm.
From the restaurant to the Loyes Express involves traversing across the width of the Face. That may be tricky depending on snow conditions and amount of traffic.
latest report
The traverse is very tame almost flat and not too narrow. You do cross the face but have plenty of sight to see what's coming down. Never seen a problem there
snow report
Brilliant, thanks both.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
To kick off apres go to the Folie Douce (top of the la Daille bubble) just to see all the fun. If you ski down the blue run Diebold at about 3.30pm you will hear it before you see it. However don't buy more than one drink because it costs an arm and a leg. Dance about for a bit then head down to Cocorico which is MUCH better.

I work and Drink in London... so the prices won't be too scary compared to what I'm used to... however... could someone tell me: Does the Folie Douce check the ID of the punters that go in? My daughter (17) has heard that she won't be able to come in with us.. whereas I recon they'll let her in because she is the "carer" for us 40-somethings!
latest report
@jamescollings, I was in Folie last year with my daughter and friend who were both underage (17) and drinking Sol. I got asked by a bouncer if they were with me and, given they were, seemed to be OK.

Cocorica is similar. Dicks Tea bar is probably different, but I'm in bed by then. rolling eyes
snow report
For something more civilised after skiing try the Grand Marnier bar in the centre of town just off the slopes
snow conditions
You don't have to do Le Face, take the Bellevarde chair and then after lunch traverse across to Loyes chair which takes you up to the top of Bellevarde. Never seen anybody asked for ID and have been in Folie Douce with under 18s. Have to say, not my favourite place and have seen all sorts of carnage on the way down to La Daille. There are several good lunch places all over the mountain and in the villages. In Tignes les Boisses there is a place called La Marie which does amazing truffle pasta. The owner's husband died a few years back but she kept it going...hopefully it will still be going. My favourite restaurant for lunch has to be Edelwiess or L'Atalier d'Edmond, both in Le Fornet area. L'Atalier has two Michelin stars and a lunch menu for 55 euros...the food is amazing. Well worth a visit for one lunch stop in the week. In the evenings it can be very pricey. I also agree about The Grand Marnier bar, a few cocktails and the World is so much a better place!
ski holidays
@alenchic, did you have a good time?
ski holidays
Drinking age in France is 16. If it's your first time it's worth checking the folie out. i prefer coco Rico but you can always do that after
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What do people find as the easiest and/or cheapest way to get over to Val d'isere ? I'm flying into Geneva early March and am floating the idea of hiring a car (4 of us, so may be more cost effective than train?)
snow report
train only goes as far as Bourg so you would have to then get from there to val. Cheapest way is the public bus which i think is around 40-60 euros per person both ways? Private transfers are extortionate at about 600 euro+ for a return for a minibus. I haven't ever driven but the drive is fairly straightforward and you can park under the bellevarde lift which is essentially the middle of town.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, yes, I did! We loved Val! Of course, we got incredibly lucky with the snow conditions, as the place got about a foot of snow the day before we arrived. Towards the end of the week things started getting a bit icy on certain slopes, but it was still fun. We had a week of blue skies, sun, really cold temperatures (I had to wear more layers than I care to count) and not a lot of wind- perfect! Skiing-wise, I loved pretty much all the runs down to Les Brevieres. Also the runs down to Val Claret from La Grande Motte area and some of the home runs to Val d'Isere. I thought I'd enjoy La Face- I normally like them steep and groomed,- but the amount of ice on that run was overwhelming, and made for a less-than-pleasant descent.

Thank you everyone for all your dining recommendations! We sampled quite a few of those restaurants and had a really great time doing that. Incredible just how delicious and varied food is in France. Going on a diet now, to make up for all the bread and cheese that I enjoyed while there Smile.
snow report
alenchic wrote:
We loved Val! Of course, we got incredibly lucky with the snow conditions, as the place got about a foot of snow the day before we arrived. Towards the end of the week things started getting a bit icy on certain slopes, but it was still fun. We had a week of blue skies, sun, really cold temperatures (I had to wear more layers than I care to count) and not a lot of wind- perfect! Skiing-wise, I loved pretty much all the runs down to Les Brevieres. Also the runs down to Val Claret from La Grande Motte area and some of the home runs to Val d'Isere. I thought I'd enjoy La Face- I normally like them steep and groomed,- but the amount of ice on that run was overwhelming, and made for a less-than-pleasant descent.

Thank you everyone for all your dining recommendations! We sampled quite a few of those restaurants and had a really great time doing that. Incredible just how delicious and varied food is in France. Going on a diet now, to make up for all the bread and cheese that I enjoyed while there Smile.

I was in Tignes the same week with my daughter and her partner....and that's exactly how it was.

Glad you had as good a time as we did.
latest report
lets get this right cocricco,foilie douce is eurotrash rubbish . food at edelweiss and friutiere is way over rated and service is terrible , avoid both like the plague . tete de la solaise ha sboth superior scoff and friendly swift service . over in tignes alpages has excellent scoff and service .honourable mention to the grizzly bar in val claret forget aboout watching the pennies enjoy the scoff
snow report
@alenchic, glad you enjoyed it! La Face is wonderful when the snow is good, but scary when it isn't. Also it's not the ideal choice for a home run - I always go to La Daille and sometimes Plan/Rhone Alpes down Solaise.

@vipul, La Folie Douce I'll grant you for being overpriced and pretentious, but not Cocorico!! It's not Eurotrash rubbish at all, it has good live bands and the DJ afterwards is great. There are also nicer restaurants than Tete de Solaise.

PS is your shift key broken?
latest report
@HoneyBunny, next time you are in val ,try veal milanese ,seared tuna , cafe gourmand at tete de la solaise puts the warmed up tripe at folie , and shoe leather steaks at edelweiss in context .if only i knew how upload photos to this site
snow report
Quote:

train only goes as far as Bourg so you would have to then get from there to val. Cheapest way is the public bus which i think is around 40-60 euros per person both ways? Private transfers are extortionate at about 600 euro+ for a return for a minibus. I haven't ever driven but the drive is fairly straightforward and you can park under the bellevarde lift which is essentially the middle of town.

Are we talking transfer from Bourg to Val or all the way from the airport?? I have minibus transfer for 8 people plus luggage booked with abctaxis for $126 each way. Details are here:-

https://www.facebook.com/48156879216/photos/a.10151944935329217.1073741826.48156879216/10151944972819217/?type=3&theater
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy