Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What low profile backpack?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm worried about getting snagged on chair lifts, but I'm trying to avoid the faff of taking it off. Ideally it would have a goggle pocket and diagonal ski carry. It only needs to carry a few bits: Bootle of water
Goggles / Sunglasses (depending on what I'm wearing)
Spare gloves
Hat
Sun cream
Lip salve
Hand warmers
Buff
Skull cap (for under helmet)
Phone charging battery & cable
Chocolate / snack
Keys
Wallet
Also has GoPro mount on strap

I think I've narrowed it down to these:
Technical Backpack Spine Snow Pack 16L Nitrogen Red POC
https://www.glisshop.co.uk/technical_backpack/poc/spine_snow_pack_16l_nitrogen_red-110875.html

BLACK DIAMOND DAWN PATROL 15 DEEP TORCH-BLACK 2017
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/black-diamond-dawn-patrol-15-deep-torch-black-17-p-9-7967.html

MILLET - Steep Pro 17 - Ski touring backpack
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/millet-steep-pro-17-ski-touring-backpack-one-size/

VAUDE - Updraft 18 LW - Ski touring backpack
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/vaude-updraft-18-lw-ski-touring-backpack/

Any others worth considering?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a hydration bladder backpack (ebay) but I don't use the bladder just put in a small bottles of water and it's holds all the above. And you don't need to take it off on chairs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaKine heli pack 12L would do that nicely. I can honestly say that as long as you tie the dangly straps up, it's lift-friendly and simply sits between you and the backrest. It's pretty small but it'd take everything you listed, and it's pretty cheap.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for the DaKine Heli Pack 12L here. It's a superb backpack. It's very thin.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mammut nirvana pro.

Hard to get in the UK and might be slightly larger then your after but to be honest its the most its the most versatile and best backpack I've ever owned (not just for snow sports). It's like a Swiss army knife in it's own right!

http://snowboardmountaineer.com/review-mammut-nirvana-pro-35/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check Ortovox backpacks. They are very well organized and low profile: I have never taken mine off for a lift ride and mine is 24 L. The ones with smaller volume would be even more compact.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an Evoc slope 18 that I like http://www.evocsports.com/products/backpacks/slope-18l. Low profile, sections for avi gear, and ski carry system.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love my Dakine 12L, super comfy to wear all day, low profile for lifts, good strap management system.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Dakine. I have the Heli Pro which can even carry 3 pairs of skis (useful if you're carting the kids stuff somewhere) plus all the other junk I even need for a day (skins, avi kit, lunch, spare clothes). Really well made and comft.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rate the Dakine Heli Pro too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Black Diamond Dawn Patrol packs are good - I find the 25L version very comfortable and low profile, would expect the 15L even more so.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I already have the Dakine Heli Pro II 28 and the lad has the 12l version. Whilst they are low profile ish, there are too many exposed straps and buckles for my liking to feel safe on the chair.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The straps can be buckled and the loose ends tied off, it's dangling buckles that pass through gaps in the chair that seem to cause most problems. If you are really worried try using a waterproof rucksack cover to keep everything contained.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-01-17 17:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BCA are very clean packs and just seem to have the right amount of pockets for me, I have two versions stash and back country I think...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
The straps can be buckled and the loose ends tied off, it's dangling buckles that pass through gaps in the chair that seem to cause most problems. If you are really worried try using a waterproof rucksack cover to keep everything contained.

+1

My first trip out with the Heli Pro I did indeed get stuck in a chair lift which wasn't manned at the top so I was quite lucky that it did budge before I got dragged down the other side.

After that I tied the waist belt off behind the bag (inside the ski holder), and rolled up all the adjustment straps and taped them with PVC electrical tape. They're still taped. Decent PVC tape never comes off.

No more issues with stuff getting stuck in the lift.
latest report
Deuter speedlight 10, The other half has used this for a number of years for carrying my essentials around the piste, very confortable and you can leave on for chairlift use without any disconfort

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/alpine/speed-lite-10/
snow report
Another vote for the Mammut range.... Absolutely bullet proof. Not literally of course...
ski holidays
@ymh, I also use this but when full it does have a larger profile than the Dakine heli pro.
ski holidays
I had a Dakine Heli 12l but was 'noid about the plethora of straps etc and the sweaty patch it created on my back . . .

Have been using a Salomon Trail 10 for all inbounds skiing and carry a similar amount of kit as your list plus either an insulating vest or jacket. Very lightweight and low profile, nothing to snag on lifts and not at as sweaty as its designed for running. Not waterproof, so use an inner drybag thing and also carry s clips to attach my water bottle and helmet when not in use. . . can also take a bladder however I find water bottle just as convenient. Perfect, plus it isn't big enough to carry anyone else's crap that they may try to dump on you cos they don't wear a pack!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy