Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vroom Vroom Phut Phut Kerploink - HHELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just driven down to the Alps and the clutch on my 9 year old BMW 528 auto feels like it may be going - aargh Sad .

Anyone know a good garage which might be able to look at / fix this? I'm currently in the Argentiere area and clutch permitting I'm just about to go to Les Arcs.
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clutch,on an auto,think again!Its actually an expensive chunk of bits called a torque converter.If it fails,not only are you stranded,it will proberbly cost next years ski holiday to fix Shocked Thats the bad news!!
However,there is a good chance it may be low fluid levels in the auto box.Check level when car is warm,after shifting in and out of drive a few times(whilst gently praying)Make sure car is level.Put the dipstick in(and out)quickly,or you may get a false reading as oil splashes onto it.Do not overfill.
Not that familier with BM's however,this may? help pinpoint it.
If,when under load,the engine speed increases but the box does not down shift(like a slipping clutch)that points to the converter.If,however,the box is reluctant to shift(esp on kickdown)and tends to surge when it does;thats prob the fluid level.The reality being that the fluid level is all you can check.If it is the converter,you could be in trouble.The only option then is an exchange unit(in the Alps???)
I hope for your sake its the oil level.I wish you the very best of luck snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SteveD, the only BMW outlet in the Savoie is in Chambéry (about 1.5 hrs from Les Arcs):

EUROPE S.A.
780 RUE PIERRE ET MARIE CURIE
B.P. 29
LA RAVOIRE-CHAMBERY
Tél : 04.79.71.35.35
Fax : 04.79.71.36.45
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Steve

Hope it's not too bad news about the car. I think there's also a BMW dealer in Sallanches, which is about 30km down the valley from Chamonix. Dealer details http://www.bmw.fr/SitesConcessionnaires/f_indexgen2.aspx?ID_CONCESSION=278
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aaaaaarrrgggghhhh... don't talk to me about BMW auto boxes, Still to get th bills for our little adventure....!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowskisnow - thanks for the technical explanation - it was useful background for when the car completely stopped earlier today.

PG / Rob - thanks for details of BMW dealers - it may well have to end up at one of them.

I'm about to find out how good the AA European Breakdown Service is - my car disappeared on a car transporter earlier this evening. Still, so far so good - they have provided me with a pretty little Renault Scenic in the meantime - and on the plus side I've now got a car with the steering wheel on the right (left) side !!

JT - did you get your box in France - if so, I'd be very interested to compare notes when I get a quote from the AA . .

Cheers, Steve
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SteveD, hope it's not too expensive for you Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SteveD, I'm curious.Have the AA removed your car to a dealer for quote/repair.If so,have you an exit stratagy if its real bad(expensive)news?Have the distinct feeling that,if either the box or converter are US,you may have a nasty shock Shocked BTW,I'm not trying to worry you,but the reality is that these repairs aint cheap,esp from a BMW dealer!
Secondly;I'm not trying to 'diss' your car but,realistically,whats a 9yr old 5 series actually worth?Will the AA get you home if its beyond economic repair?Plan for the worst case,then if its good news you will have all angles covered Cool

Anyway,for the moment,you have transport;assume you are in Les Arcs,so enjoy.Look up PG,enjoy the skiing and let the AA do the worrying wink
Looks like you are currently the snowHead 'crash test dummy' so keep us posted wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SteveD,

No, we didn't get the box in France.... Long story, but we got our insurance to tow us to BMW in Lucern. The BMW and Insurance bailed on the deal and we had to get it transported to the UK and hire...
The problem was/is that the auto seemed to freeze in a gear and wouldn't change up/down. Then the box seemed to slip and we were doing silly revs for the speed. BMW in Switzerland said nothing wrong but they didn't really want to know at all.

The thing with this is that it could be oil or a the computer..my suspision- and needs proper diagnostics which is why BMW UK have now got it. My freinds car is a 10yr old 7 series from new and it has done nearly 250,000. He replaced the engine about 6 months ago and they should have replaced the box at the same time....hindsight...!!

Now the quandry, as he has replaced two major components should he carry on or get rid. He might be able to pick up a 5/6/7 yr old for under 10k or so....decisions...!!! If he goes for a second hand box, I'll let you know what it cost..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy