Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow boots - Are they really necessary?

Poster: A snowHead
Walking / climbing boots / approach shoes along with gaiters should snow be deep and you're walking across fields etc to the bars etc

Otherwise driving / clearing snow - Sorrels
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HoneyBunny wrote:
They are essential for looking effortlessly cool whilst swanning around ski resorts* Toofy Grin

These are mine:

*staggering back from the pub

HoneyBunny wins this thread Smile snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, I took OH to a posh hotel in Obergurgl this December as it was a big birthday for him, (in vast contrast with cheap 'n cheerful Mountainsun Tignes chalet where we'd usually go). Most of the women there dressed for dinner in nice frocks and heels. But then they weren't Brits so had probably driven there with a boot full of stuff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it basically comes down to what appearance you're going for...

British middle class one-week-a-year it's-all-about-the-apres
Big boldly coloured moon boots, make sure to tuck trousers inside so whole boot is on display

British middle class one-week-a-year try-and-look-like-you-do-this-more-often
Expensive North Face insulated gore-tex boots with sheepskin round the top; looking like they've been out of the box 10 minutes

British middle class one-week-a-year look-like-a-pro-it-makes-you-ski-better
Expensive Scarpa hiking boots; looking like they've been out of the box 10 minutes

Normal person
Whatever boots you normally wear
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a top tip IF you're going skiing in Japan - many, many places will have hot springs and they use that to keep the streets and footpaths clear... which means slushy or running water - so Uggs would not be a suitable shoe/boot.

anything waterproofey.... wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I only ever wear training shoes when wandering round and my feet haven't fallen off yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@honeybunny I love those boots!

Thinking about questioning the need for boots, obviously when the kids were small we always bought them so they could play in the snow and so have worn them every year due to habit. As the kids are now teens and not having skied last year I suddenly questioned the need for them. Anyway as Pamski suggested I will get those Sorels as they are in sale with about 60% off and will certainly wear them at other times. Everyone else is sorted with some form of suitable footwear. Thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a set of snow boots from Decathlon bought several years ago. Whilst it's not life or death having them in the resort it does make a couple of things more pleasant. They are warm and slip on and off easily without laces, so when I get in/out of the car at the carpark at the chairlift and put on/off ski boots it's less fuffing about than 10 hole Dr Martins. When you are out and about in town and put your foot in 6" of slush it doesn't fill your shoes with icey water. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dp, I've tried (20 years ago) wearing my 'Whatever boots you normally wear' and I can confirm that Le Chameau wellies are certainly warm and give good grip, but they do get a bit sweaty sitting in restaurants. You also get some funny looks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
coops1967 wrote:
so Uggs would not be a suitable shoe/boot.

Nothing else needed in this post. NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weekend away in chalet hand luggage only, wear £12 in sale decathlon snow boots, no other outdoor footwear needed. Hotel for week, will take some more casual shoes or trainers.

A family in our hotel last year came to dinner every night in moonboots😀
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
duplicate

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-01-17 13:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just use my walking boots. In fact I wear them in UK in the winter most days, too. But I've noticed that all the tradesmen who come to my Swiss apartment wear boots with velcro closures. Not hugely stylish, but much easier if you are going in and out of people's homes. I've been meaning to get some, but in the last eight years of Swiss property ownership, my walking boots have not worn out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
one pair trainers, one pair timberlands, https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en/tbl-uk/men-footwear-boots/tbc-A18OX001 done. Pretty much does me back home as well. Can get Timberland at half price via a mate who works for something to do with them, usefull.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always pack my ski jacket in my hold luggage, so if I don't wear snow-boots, how will the riff-raff at the airport know I'm going skiing?!?? Laughing
latest report
I wear a pair of approach shoes i.e. like trainers but a bit more water-resistant and with a Vibram-type sole. I've not found any need for boots. I guess if you have to shovel snow you might but that isn't part of my ski holiday.
snow report
Pretty much nothing is necessary. Some people would get by with plimsoles in carrier bags with spikes on the bottom. For others boots such as the Sorels are absolutely fab. You pay your money and make your choice. Though I would recommend a bag for life if going the plimsole route.
ski holidays
-30degC in the town a few years back in Canada. A (what we thought were a) decent pair of boots had the soles disintegrate as it was too cold as we walked down the street one afternoon. It was a trip into the local outdoor wear shop to buy something that was built for those type of temperatures!!!
snow report
Legend. wrote:
Pretty much nothing is necessary. Some people would get by with plimsoles in carrier bags with spikes on the bottom. For others boots such as the Sorels are absolutely fab. You pay your money and make your choice. Though I would recommend a bag for life if going the plimsole route.

Actually, having played frequent tennis on frost covered courts I can strongly recommend the following for dramatically improved grip when wearing trainers.

1. Remove trainers
2. Remove socks
3. Replace trainers
4. Replace socks on top of trainers.

Very Happy It's exactly like a 'snow sock' for your tyre except you use a ..... sock
latest report
mini_mo wrote:
Sounds like you lot don't get suckered into online marketing! I was looking at Sorels, which have the rubberised soles and lower part of the boot and then waterproof leather uppers. Some of these answers have made me laugh. Right so the unanimous answer is no! Thanks! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I have a lovely new pairs of Sorels, they are to replace my last pair which suffered from rubber perishing after circa 20years of use and literally just fell apart in use. First one went, liberal application of duct tape and carry on, then within an hour the other failed, it was like something out of a black and white slapstick.

I bought them as I spend a chunk of time each year just stood about on snow doing demos (indoors being worse than on the mountain) if it wasn't for that I wouldn't even consider them unless I was moving to Canada or Siberia or something (despite spending about 2 months of every winter in the Alps).

So yes, definately, it's no!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy