Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee pain, Knee Support advice please.

Poster: A snowHead
I wondered if anyone has experience of using a knee brace? I've been looking at a couple of manufacturers 1) "Shock Doctor" Ultra Hinged and
2) "McDavid" 429X. Both about £60 on Amazon and both seem similar in design.

I have tenderness on inside of my knee, but in particular pain if my foot is turned outwards at all, that movement of the foot twists my knee and even a little it causes considerable discomfort.

So Im hoping a Knee Brace will help prevent my Foot/Knee from being easily manipulated in that side ways twisting motion?? It seems unlikely to me especially with a Ski on the end of my Foot!

I'm also considering Kinesiology Tape instead or in conjunction.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very much appreciated. I haven't consulted a Physio yet, to see what they would recommend.

Thanks
Richard
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski with a brace, not certain if it really helps or my knee is just currently behaving. It's quite heavy duty Before you get yourself any braces or even see a physio, you should see a doctor and get your knee pain diagnosed as it can be caused by various things, and it will useful for a physio to know before he gives you any exercises. Braces vary by level of support and knee problems they are supposed to assist with, so don't spend any money before you know why your knee is hurting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Burning Luv, definitely see a Physio first. They will be able to advise type of brace if needed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@never summer, Thank you for the advice much appreciated
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, Thank you, yes I will. I've had some disappointinf experiences with Physios but when I had a severe Back problem years ago, I turned to an Osteopath in desperation and he was fantastic. The only person who told me what was wrong....in detail.....and explained how he was going to fix it.....and he did. Before him I was in the Hands of a Physio!
I'd be interested to hear from others if they have similar stories.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Burning Luv, I have had some very poor physio via Nhs. One good physio via NHS, and used several private physios who have all been really good. Including getting me from non weight bearing for more than 1 month before the operation to skiing 7 months later!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Burning Luv, that kind of pain is most likely a medial ligament strain/tear or possibly a medial meniscus tear. Those braces will do squat for it (I own one of them). You need to see an Orthopaedist and treat the root of the problem, not a Physio. Blunt but spoken from experience... wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Raceplate, Thank you. I wasn't sure at all that a brace would help my symptoms and you've confirmed it. I would imagine it more or less impossible for a knee brace to prevent or counteract my foot from rotating outwards, which is the worst scenario! I guess the strapping couldn't be tight enough around soft tissue of skin and muscle?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Burning Luv (my daughter has some skis called after you!)
So sorry to hear about your knee problem. I can sympathize as I'm just getting over a knee injury.

If you search for posts by "Jonathan Bell" you'll find his posts are all about knees and how to solve it.
He even has a blog page on it.
See
http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/blog

I've been exercising like mad and they consider it good to go now.
I will be taking a brace with me .. a hinged one I got from Snow & Rock 35 years ago!

But I'll also be wearing the Ski Mo-Jo's but not that they fix a knee except for worn out ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn, Thank you. I'm worried because I'm on the PreBash and the Bash straight after! So fly out on 28th Jan.
I can walk fine and could run if I wanted to with discomfort. So my issue is probably mild. Nothing has torn or snapped, well maybe torn slightly? It's simply rotation of my foot that would twist the knee outwards that would hurt. Twisting inwards would hurt!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, so pleased to hear you're mending! Happy skiing.

And good luck@Burning Luv, hope you get to the root of the problem.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Burning Luv wrote:
@Raceplate, I would imagine it more or less impossible for a knee brace to prevent or counteract my foot from rotating outwards, which is the worst scenario! I guess the strapping couldn't be tight enough around soft tissue of skin and muscle?

Exactly. Strapping may give psychological help but it'll do little physically against the leverage of a 160cm ish ski (I'm guessing you're female from your K2 username). The only brace I've ever rated was a French one manufactured by Pharnea that had Velcro attached cross strapping on top and around a standard hinged type brace like the ones you mentioned. With the straps on it was great, without them, rubbish. I can't find it online, sorry. Last time I saw one in a French pharmacy it was about €150.

Honestly, IMO (for the internet police), if you don't have time to fix the root of the problem you'd be better off getting a Diclofenac or similar prescription for your holiday and then treat it properly over the summer. Adrenaline masks a lot of issues, short term wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Maireadoconnor, Thank you
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Burning Luv wrote:
@DrLawn, So my issue is probably mild. Nothing has torn or snapped, well maybe torn slightly? It's simply rotation of my foot that would twist the knee outwards that would hurt. Twisting inwards would hurt!

It's not mild, something's fcukd. Just do what every other nutcase ski fanatic does. Get Industrial painkillers short term and find a good surgeon in the summer. wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wot @Raceplate said! Just say 'yes' to drugs wink
ski holidays
@Raceplate, No not female, my name was given to me by other Snowheads about 5 years ago in Arabba and admin changed my name on the forum.....without my knowledge. I can't remember why exactly, but it was something to do with a rather attractive Waitress in the Hotel.
I'm going to play around with Tape also....see if I can attempt to restrain the movement. Perhaps use a brace also?
latest report
@Burning Luv, ha ha, unlucky. Now I know why I've never been on a bash wink

Tape will do fcuk all. A brace may stop it getting any worse but not the level of brace you're looking at. Proper ones are £400+. Just suck it up, take the painkillers and see a surgeon when you get home. If it's a strained medial ligament, your chances of tearing it completely are slim(ish) unless you have a serious (ACL-tearing type) fall. I skied for 2-3 years with the same issue and basically just ignored it (with Diclofenac wink ) I've had PRP treatment over the summer and now it's ok but I've fcukd my shoulder up again so I'll be sucking that up instead.

Do you want to ski or not? Just get on with it wink

P.S. Morphine's good wink
snow report
Even with a really good surgeon there is always risk to surgery and surgery should only be used as a very very last resort... and not something you do willy nilly like going into a shop and buying a new knee.
ski holidays
You could try this knee support. (helped my knees a lot!)

https://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/open-patella-knee-support-brace/

hope this helps!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 10-02-17 14:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
nosnowballz wrote:
Even with a really good surgeon there is always risk to surgery and surgery should only be used as a very very last resort... and not something you do willy nilly like going into a shop and buying a new knee.

Your surgeon should be able to spell out the risks to you if they are doing their job properly.
People vary in their appetite to take on, and accurately assess, risk. For some procedures the risks are very small, others more significant. It's best to try and find out your risk for your condition when compared to the risk of not being able to do the things you want to be able to enjoy.
You also need a surgeon who will help you make a "wise" and informed choice based on what's best for you. Im always happy if some one wants the option of avoiding surgery but they may have to sacrifice something they want if they make that choice.

Jonathan Bell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy