Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski advice - impossible compromise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am in the market for skis after many years of renting and a failed purchase last year but I am torn with what to get!

I am in my mid 30's, 5'10" and lightweight at about 9st. I've been skiing 1/2 weeks a year since I was a toddler and ski mainly piste with a bit of off piste when the conditions allow.
I'm a fairly aggressive carver and favour fast GS type turns but also ski with family in mixed conditions.

Last year I ordered a pair of Blizzard Brahmas (166, probably too short in retrospect) after lots of reading and fancying something with decent performance but also fairly versatile. That ended up being ending badly after a the bindings weren't mounted centrally so they went back to the shop.

I ended up renting which wasn't a bad thing as it somewhat opened my eyes to other types of skis.
I spent most of the week on some Salomon X-Drive 8.3 (169) which I was pleasantly surprised by, really easy going but also never really left me wanting. The conditions included a decent amount of fresh snow which allowed a decent amount of playing off piste in 2-3ft powder but also a couple of days of average piste skiing conditions where they carved pretty well and I didn't really leave me wanting even in the powder.

On the last day the sun came out, pistes were groomed and the conditions were superb for hammering down pistes all day. To that end I swapped the X-Drives in for something more racy, Atomic Redster double deck XT (175).
My god! Initial intimidation quickly turned into being gobsmacked by how planted and bloody quick these things were and I had one of the best days ripping up the piste I can ever remember. I'm sure I wasn't getting the most out of this beast of a ski but I was pleasantly surprised how much I could push them despite my puny weight.

That DD experience left me craving some of that damped carving machine feeling but at the same time I know all too well that the conditions were ideally suited and they would probably not be so awesome when the going gets a bit harder or when skiing at a more social pace with family (they didn't like skidding!) and don't even think about going off the piste!
At the same time I loved the all round, easy going nature of the X-Drives especially given they managed the off piste pretty well and held an edge nicely (until I experienced the DD's!)

So, theres my impossible ski requirements!
Obviously, a ski can't do everything and ultimately theres a compromise to be made which makes me lean more towards all mountain for versatility.

So far I have been looking at things ranging from Dynastar Speedzone 12's through to X-Drive 8.3.
After quite a bit of reading, watching and even some demoing at chillfactore I am currently thinking something like:

Volk RTM 81 (170) Seems to have it all but concerned they will be too stiff for my weight when doing more social skiing?
Salomon X-Drive 8.3 (169) I enjoyed them last year but concerned they won't be enough ski long term.
Then theres stuff like Head supershape titan, Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS which all seem good in principle but reviews are quite patchy.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above skis or recommendations for others?
Your advice and experience would be much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didn't you like the Blizzards?

Add in Volkl 90eights and Mantras for consideration.

The OH and I just acquired Mantras and Bonafides respectively as our daily skis. Happy on piste, happy off piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@matprice: like you I had a great time on some Salomons, although this is going back a bit, they were X-Wing 6s (or something) and almost steam-punk in their construction... I could never find them to buy, although I think the X-Drives took over the range...

I've had my eye on some Rossi Experience 84s, although I haven't managed to have a go on any: hoping that's going to change in a few weeks when I head out. Also I'm never sure what a "real" ski would feel like compared to the tank-engine rentals I've always had.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EarthWindandWater, a Salomon archive for you ..

http://en.salomonarchive.com/model/xwing.php
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@matprice, I don't know what your budget is but if you can find them, last year's Kastle MX 83 in a 173cm. Best ski on the planet. Will do whatever you want at whatever speed you want, wherever you want. They're better than you but they'll never let you know it. If you don't like them, you can't ski. Possible pair here: http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/skis-c3/piste-skis-c28/kastle-mx83-173cm-2016-special-price-p10422

If you can't find them, Kastle CPM 82 in a 172cm. Nearly as good but not quite. If you can't find either, Kastle MX 84 in a 176cm. Softer in the tip than the MX 83, could suit a lightweight like yourself (more so if you're not a technical skier but with your experience level you should be) but the MX 83 is better, I'm sure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, ahhh.... Those '07 'Blasts' were astonishing to me back then... happy days Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Raceplate, well that's a glowing recommendation, if i see any i shall have to try them out. Kastle MX83.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just packed for a trip next week. Two sets of skis in the same bag. One pair 72mm wide, one pair 95mm wide. It's easy to do if the bindings are removable from the skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@albob thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy