Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A salutary warning

Poster: A snowHead
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
There are plenty of pockets in ski wear these days for pretty much anything you NEED to carry.

Really? Tried it, got told I looked like a stuffed Michelin man, with everything bulging out in front. Not fun if you fall forward on it either. And it still didn't all fit.

I NEED to carry: 2 large adrenaline injection syringes (wish that I didn't), pair of spare spectacles in case of loss of contact lens (ditto), 1.5-2 litres hydrating fluid in varyingly-sized bottles (and that easily gets drunk in a day), some basic carb food bars/bikkies (eaten + emergency sugar spare), small first aid/comfort kit, basic spare silk and overgloves (often get very wet and need changing, esp. in cold or snow - or occasionally lost), spare or additional buff/balaclava, spare pair goggles (sensitive eyes, can't find one that covers everything from bright sun to flat dull light in 1 day), lens cloth, mobile, medication tablets various, sunscreen if appropriate, basic mending kit (zipties, cord, safety pins, crabs, tape, multitool). Sometimes small camera also.
Not all of that fits into pockets, especially if wrapped for warmth and fall protection, usually just because of size. Some does.
All of that has been put into my kit - which is a 10l compact rucksac - over many years of personal experience in UK and overseas ski or boarding, most is used every trip (or hopefully not, but can't take the chance of not carrying).
Note no wallet (just c/card), no keys and no extra clothing, on or off (but then if conditions get hot it gets tied round waist, so dangles... rolling eyes ).

So please tell me what I should leave at home next time: my svelte ski-bunny figure and hi-fashion outfit would be most grateful wink

Oh, and that's on piste, so not with emergency & avvy kit that I'd need or want to take there or for more possible weather extremes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
t44tomo wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
@Scarlet, thanks! Now that I'm home I have counted, I have 5 pockets in my ski jacket including the little sleeve one for the lift pass. None are big enough for my wallet and two are ridiculously positioned right on my boobies so I wouldn't be using them. Women carry handbags for a reason. When skiing handbags can easily be replaced by a small backpack.

I've got 8 in mine, all good sized and no boobies.😉
Snoody, why do you need to carry 2 litres of water?

Probably teh same reason I do - to drink.

I actually only carry 1.5L, in a camelbak, and it is usually empty or very close by the end of the day. Occasionally I've had to refill it during teh day, if I can find potable tap water.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm starting to wonder if backpacks are seen by some as a red flag warning sign screaming "this person isn't high class enough to afford full mountain prices for every little snack / drink / amenity / convenience they may require during the day... Ahh, remember the good old days when only the well-off could partake? What a shame we have all this riff-raff crowding out our pistes nowadays" Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thornyhill wrote:
t44tomo wrote:

Snoody, why do you need to carry 2 litres of water?

I didn't know there was a limit. Does it depend on your skiing abilities?

I wouldn't have thought so, I never got thirsty as a poo-poo skier and don't really as a decent one. I usually stop for a mid morning coffee and late lunch but have never felt the need to consume 2l of fluids whilst skiing, but each unto his or her own.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TangoBravo wrote:
An idea:

Don't like wearing backpacks? - Don't.
Do like wearing them? - Do.

I'm a bag wearer through and through. I have seen the weather turn enough times to make it worth my while. Growing up in Scotland and being in a profession that involves being cold and wet frequently has given me a respect for the mountains.

I carry a warm jacket for when I/someone crashes. I think we can all agree that injured people get very cold v. quickly on the hills.
A small but fairly advanced first aid fit, too. A friend of mine had his femoral artery cut open by a rogue toboggan-an extreme example. I have some decent medical training; if I saw a friend injured and could do nothing I'd feel pretty poo-poo.

I'm comfortable with my decision, and the kit I carry; it doesn't negatively affect anyone else. What negatively affects others is people not respecting mountain weather or being able to look after themselves.

Risk aware, not risk averse/don't plan; prepare.

I have some sympathy with that. Liked a back pack for similar reasons from my hillwalking scrambling days - and later, when regularly skiing off piste, carrying avvy gear round as well as the odd spare layer of clothing, bad weather googles first aid kit, rescue blanket and so forth. That said, now that I ski on piste only, I tend to enjoy the freedom of not wearing a back pack. But I can't see any reason for antipathy towards those who do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jjams82 wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if backpacks are seen by some as a red flag warning sign screaming "this person isn't high class enough to afford full mountain prices for every little snack / drink / amenity / convenience they may require during the day... Ahh, remember the good old days when only the well-off could partake? What a shame we have all this riff-raff crowding out our pistes nowadays" Very Happy

You would have to be in-bred and spending someone else's money (aka upper class) if you are going to buy kids new kit and throw it away every time they have a change of mind.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my jacket I carry, piste map, hat, sunblock, camera, phone, OHs shades, vape, liner gloves- suffer from the cold. In my pants cash and a hanky. My mum used to make me carry Kendall mint cake and juice. Don't have boobs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stupidly enough now I think of it, part of the reason i don't cary all my stuff in my pockets is that it interferes with the backpack straps. Hmm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@t44tomo, so that I can drink it, why else would I have it?

I'm a big fat lad that gets very hot so need to rehydrate. I can easily drink a litre of water in a day of skiing and not need to go to the toilet, it would stupid to think that I wasn't dehydrated in that situation.

What I really can't understand though is why you care? Does my wearing of a backpack offend you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
it doesn't bother me at all, as long as I'm not having to carry it for you, like I said above each unto his or her own. I was just surprised at the amount, 2 litres is quite heavy (2kg to be predise😉) and if I drunk that much I'd be constantly going to the loo, but we are all different.

If I skied somewhere where food and drink was expensive then I might well do the same and carry some stuff with me, have mainly done Austria and Slovenia of late , both of which have decent priced on piste refreshments, so can get away with just a pack of haribo in the pockets.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@Old Man Of Lech, in defence of @queen bodecia, I think you may also be assuming that women's clothing contains pockets of the same size and number that men's clothing has. It does not.

^^^this! I completely agree. My lovely jacket (bought for Christmas a couple of years ago) has four pockets: two large ones on the sides/front, one tiny, inside one for a phone or iPod and a sleeve pocket for lift pass. I carry phone, a couple of credit cards and some money (a few notes maybe but not much in the way of coins), a small suncream, lip balm and tissues. Sometimes a piste map. There really isn't much room for anything else. Extras for DD go in DH's backpack. She carries a similar number of bits and bobs to me (except the CCs)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@t44tomo, I can drink best part of 2 litres and not have a pee all day, which is exactly the reason that I carry so much. I don't like carrying a bag and I certainly don't like the weight, but it's better than being dehydrated.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@t44tomo, I can drink best part of 2 litres and not have a pee all day, which is exactly the reason that I carry so much. I don't like carrying a bag and I certainly don't like the weight, but it's better than being dehydrated.
The reason you sweat out such a colossal amount is that you're working twice as hard as the rest of us...... carrying around two litres of water! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
The reason you sweat out such a colossal amount is that you're working twice as hard as the rest of us...... carrying around two litres of water! Toofy Grin
+ a backpack. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't really care if people want to ski with backpacks or not, although one wonders why it seems to be such a peculiarly British obsession. I do think there is little doubt that wearing a BP increases the risks on a chairlift, even if not massively. I also think it is inevitable that it has a small, but negative, effect on one's skiing. Rasing your centre of gravity and moving it a few inches aft can only be a bad thing.

I can't help feeling that many BP wearers seem to have convinced themselves that they need one and couldn't manage without. Erroneously IMO. And then start carrying around kit that they might theoretically need, but the likelihood is extremely low. E.g. Leatherman tools, spare gloves etc. I also think that the modern terror of dehydration is misplaced. But that's just a personal view.

All that's slightly irrelevant. Wear one if you want to.
snow conditions
I carry one of these in my pocket for if I get thirsty https://www.amazon.co.uk/Summit-Folding-Carabiner-Camping-Climbing/dp/B00DCQ8MFO/ref=sr_1_17?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1483811435&sr=1-17&keywords=folding+drink+bottle&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

Very Happy Wish that was the case. THe reason I sweat is that I'm a sweaty individual and weigh 110kg Very Happy When you're packing that kind of power the weight of a bag and some water is pretty incosequential. Does it have an effect on my skiing? Possibly, but then I've always worn one so my style of skiing will have developed naturally on the basis of having that weight on my back.

Dehydration for you may not be an issue, but I'm not convinced that it's healthy to drink 2 litres of fluid in a day and still not need a slash. Well done to you and your amazing body though.
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, If you feel the need to carry litres of water then that is your decision. It shouldn't be any skin off any one else's nose
snow report
I wear a child's 10l backpack, which holds the essentials (including a small water bottle) and doesn't pose any problems on lifts or off. And does any women really put her goggles in the (boob) goggle pocket? It's spectacularly uncomfortable and must have been designed by a bloke for a joke rolling eyes .
snow report
I can well understand some feeling that back packs are dangerous on the chair lifts. I have seen some people wearing HUGE backpacks, and then trying to slide on the chair, and often thought it had to be a bit difficult. If carrying a backpack I am sure small ones will hold what you need, no need to look like you're going on a weekend break . The huge backpacks are very annoying when stuck in ques behind them, or worse on a cable car where everyone is squished in like sardines. Some big donkey with a back pack will just smother the smaller people behind them. ( like me). I am a small woman with two kids, have skied since the 80s never carried a backpack, kids carry their own snack for the energy low, in their own pockets, we eat a good breakfast, and we also carry small bottles of water, which you can refill in mountain bars most places I have skied. ( haven't been skiing in France in a few years though). We eat lunch on the mountain but usually a slice of pizza, or something small, so it doesn't cost a fortune. I don't put my goggles in a goggle pocket, I have a deep pocket in the side of my ski jacket, rather like the pocket in the back of a shooting barber, and I put them in there or use them to just hold my hat on, Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 9-01-17 19:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
biddpyat:- Well said.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:

I can't help feeling that many BP wearers seem to have convinced themselves that they need one and couldn't manage without. Erroneously IMO. ...

We don't all have servants to carry our stuff. That is reserved for old Etonians and politicians wink
latest report
Backpacks worn on the back in standing cable cars are a right pain, as they are on crowded tube trains, especially if the wearing keeps twisting around, knocking people flying in the process. The courteous people wear them on the front in this situation or put them between their feet.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
rather like the pocket in the back of a shooting barber

And of course we all have one of these in our wardrobes !!

Incidentally on the subject of wearing them in confined spaces, I couldn't agree more; they're a right pain on public transport which means they'll be just the same in cable cars and gondolas.

Last week, despite numerous signs in Italian, English and French I reckon I was the only one taking mine off in the cable up from Pianalunga in Alagna
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy