Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A salutary warning

Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia wrote:
Where do you put your wallet/phone/keys/tissues/sunblock if not in a backpack?

Pockets - No problem. Along with a hip flask too. I could probably take all that lost twice or even three times over without the slightest problem. If you wear a backpack just for those five items, what on earth do you do with your pockets and the other 9 litres of space in a backpack? Have you never wondered how the 90% of skiers without backpacks somehow seem to survive OK?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
the weather rarely changes significantly during the day

You need to get away from Hemel and into the mountains a bit more snowHead

Having spent at a rough guess over 200 weeks doing some form of leisure pursuit in mountains, IMHO they inherently have exceptionally variable weather (or at least have the capacity to do so) but clearly your experience is different to mine.

Anyway, if I suggested to my wife that she carries all her own stuff, I don't think I'd have a wife any more ! (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that respect). Always had a rucksac apart from maybe the first year I learnt probably as I got into skiing through mountaineering so never been a problem for me; never had a issue on a lift either so not sure what all the fuss is about
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Keys: there's one dedicated hook in the pants left top pocket

Pockets in your pants! When I was at school some girls had pockets in their knickers but I hadn't realised this was still done.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

johnE wrote:
the weather rarely changes significantly during the day

You need to get away from Hemel and into the mountains a bit more

I spend about 40 days a year in the mountains, and only once or twice have a been caught out with unexpected weather, usually thunderstorms, and it is a rush to get waterproofs on. The thunderstorms have been marked as possible on the forecast so I suppose they are not entirely unexpected. My ski gear is supposedly waterproof, but I have been caught out in heavy rain while skiing and realise that it is not as waterproof as I thought.

What other changes in the weather catch you out?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've seen lots of people wearing their salopette braces down hanging around their knees, seems a fashion thing but asking for trouble IMO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@king key, Nice! Wonder how many takes it took to shoot the on/off element so smoothly. Feel sure I would get the cord wrapped around something...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never had a problem wearing a back pack on a chair as one properly designed and worn should have no parts to catch. However, occassionally an anal attendant wants me to remove it with the consequence that straps do dangle. On at least three occassions this has resulted in the pack getting caught on exiting causing the lift to be stopped. I am talking a pack with just the normal avi gear, some liquid and an extra layer or two - it would be different with a full 40ltr touring sac or a paraglider!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
Where do you put your wallet/phone/keys/tissues/sunblock if not in a backpack?
REALLY? Are you serious? What the hell do you think pockets are for? Unless of course you don't want to spoil the line of your Oh so fashionable clothing. Then that brings us back to vanity again!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@foxtrotzulu, my backpack is tiny. I wouldn't be able to fit my wallet in any of my pockets, maybe the tissues and the phone, but then sitting down would be very uncomfortable. I'm a chubby woman, so baggy clothing with pockets everywhere not a good look on me, nowt to do with fashion.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
I really don't see the need for 90% of skiers/boarders to use any kind of backpack.

That's OK, just stay in the 10% who don't Smile

Old Man Of Lech wrote:

If you dress appropriately, no need to carry extra layers etc.

And there was me thinking that being prepared was a good thing. Have you never gone from blue sky to blizzard whilst out? snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
What the hell do you think pockets are for? Unless of course you don't want to spoil the line of your Oh so fashionable clothing. Then that brings us back to vanity again!

You are a bag lady and I claim my five pounds

Toofy Grin

(or a boarder ) Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Man Of Lech, in defence of @queen bodecia, I think you may also be assuming that women's clothing contains pockets of the same size and number that men's clothing has. It does not.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarlet, thanks! Now that I'm home I have counted, I have 5 pockets in my ski jacket including the little sleeve one for the lift pass. None are big enough for my wallet and two are ridiculously positioned right on my boobies so I wouldn't be using them. Women carry handbags for a reason. When skiing handbags can easily be replaced by a small backpack.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top tip - buy a different jacket next time Wink

I have mine, Couloir of early 90s vintage from when they were vaguely trendy. Plenty of pockets to the extent that I have to make sure everything is always in the same pocket otherwise I'm like the NOTT sketch and losing five minutes every time I want a lip salve or something.

http://youtube.com/v/eJEHsOBZtik
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Orange200, thanks for the tip rolling eyes Are you a man, by any chance?
ski holidays
I piste ski only, never have an issue getting phone wallet keys sun block piste map sun glasses tissues and sometimes an spare thin base layer into jacket / trouser pockets. I would hate to ski with a back pack on.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Standard 3mm paracord has a breaking strain of nearly 200kg

Do you mean force and 2kN?

Doesn't have to. Minimum Breaking Strength is a thing and is measured in units of weight, not force.

Working Load Limit is derived by dividing the MBS by it's factor of safety.

In the UK all lifting equipment is required to be marked for it's WLL
ski holidays
What a chump.
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
I really don't see the need for 90% of skiers/boarders to use any kind of backpack.

Strangely enough, 90% don't. The only person I know who does carries bits and pieces for her two small boys, which seems fair enough.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-01-17 5:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
@Scarlet, thanks! Now that I'm home I have counted, I have 5 pockets in my ski jacket including the little sleeve one for the lift pass. None are big enough for my wallet

Have you considered carrying a smaller wallet? Serious question. On the hill I carry one credit card and some cash, not my normal wallet.
latest report
Sounds as though all the issues are with backpacks.

Fortunately I carry a Rucksack and there are no problems with those. snowHead
latest report
And another one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4092704/Man-hung-unconscious-chairlift-backpack-got-tangled-neck-rescued-professional-slackliner-WALKED-cable-save-life.html
latest report
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4092704/Man-hung-unconscious-chairlift-backpack-got-tangled-neck-rescued-professional-slackliner-WALKED-cable-save-life.html

Yet another example of why NOT to wear a backpack when skiing
ski holidays
Quote:

Doesn't have to. Minimum Breaking Strength is a thing and is measured in units of weight, not force.

Climbing gear is always given in kN, I suppose because it is a/ not confused with mass and b/ the loads need not be vertically downwards and c/ it is the SI unit of force.
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

Yet another example of why one should be careful if you wear a backpack when skiing

FTFY

Worn a backpack for over 30 years of 3 weeks skiing per year and never had an issue on a chair once and neither have any of my fellow chair users (and I rarely take it off either). The backpack I use has plenty of straps too for lashing skis, axes etc to it (a Marmot La Meije). Frequently they're not in use so just tidied up.

All you need to do is make sure nothing is loose which shouldn't be too demanding a task for most humans

I don't really understand all this antipathy towards backpack wearers; it's got just like the helmet argument but much, much sillier
snow report
@dsoutar, i agree, nothing wrong with backpacks, if you can't handle chairlifts with one then maybe not for you.
Only thing is they do push one forward just a bit, so all you safety bar down fast and furious types, please allow a little longer so i can get my head out of the way 😉
ski holidays
It appears that there were two very similar backpack incidents, both resulting in the victim dangling below the chair. One was in Keystone and one at Sundance.
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

Yet another example of why NOT to wear a backpack when skiing

Don't be a numpty. Much like all other elements of skiing it's fine if you know the risks and mitigate them. That may be by taking it off, or it may be by tidying up the straps.

I wear a bag and have been on 81 lifts this week with no problem at all. Multiply that by skiing trips and it's really a bit of a rarity for someone to have a problem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I don't really understand all this antipathy towards backpack wearers; it's got just like the helmet argument but much, much sillier

Didn't realise that there was any antipathy - just wondered why people carried them, which I think is a reasnoble question to ask
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude Says 'Don't be a numpty'. there's always one, isn't there? Someone who just can't bear another point of view so has to start throwing insults about. So you've been on 81 lifts this week, so what? You want a medal?
dsoutar - It;s not antipathy, just as JohnE says a lack of understanding why anyone not carrying Avalanche safety gear needs back packs that sometimes look as though the wearers are going camping for a week. There are plenty of pockets in ski wear these days for pretty much anything you NEED to carry.
ski holidays
I generally kit myself out based on wants not needs.
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
there's always one, isn't there? Someone who just can't bear another point of view....There are plenty of pockets in ski wear these days for pretty much anything you NEED to carry.

Oh the irony. Laughing Laughing

Have you skied with kids?

On my own....a few quid. Bottle of water. Maybe a phone and a bank card.

With kids - every item of clothing they own. Snacks. Drinks. Lunch. Spare stuff. Other spare stuff. More snacks. Extra lunch.

I know they probably won't need it but nothing screws up your day like a cold hungry child, or a warm hungry child, or a well fed child who is too warm, or too cold or.......etc. etc. I could just tell them to apply Rule 5 and then listen to them being unhappy......or chuck all the kit in a backpack and don't be a dick on the lifts.

I've always wondered why Daily Fail needs to tell the same story 5 times in the same article using exactly the same words
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, If you are someone who skis very hot then wearing layers isn't an option. A thin base top and a shell will not cut it for outdoor Apres so an insulated jacket is a handy thing to carry.

Seconded that the only time I ever had a pack get stuck was when taking it off. An 18lt ABS bag is snug enough for riding chairs and has no dangling straps. i have to admit, I do despair when I see people sitting on chair lifts with a rucksack waistbelt fastened behind the pack and the buckle danging.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, you're the one having a go at people wearing backpacks, seems to me like you're the one that had an issue with the opinion of others.

As I said before, come up with an easy and cheap way for me to carry 2 litres of water and I'll stop wearing the bag. Until then I'll keep wearing it and not hurt anyone while doing it.

No medal needed, just pointing out that it's perfectly easy to wear a bag and not get caught up, so get back in your box.

Oh, and if I wanted to insult you then I'd be a lot more imaginative/offensive than 'numpty'.
snow report
johnE wrote:

Didn't realise that there was any antipathy - just wondered why people carried them, which I think is a reasnoble question to ask

Because they want to. That's a good enough reason for me. Some random person carrying a backpack makes no difference whatsoever to my ski day so I see no reason to concern myself over their choice to do that any more than I would see a reason to concern myself over their choice of jacket.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
@Scarlet, thanks! Now that I'm home I have counted, I have 5 pockets in my ski jacket including the little sleeve one for the lift pass. None are big enough for my wallet and two are ridiculously positioned right on my boobies so I wouldn't be using them. Women carry handbags for a reason. When skiing handbags can easily be replaced by a small backpack.

I've got 8 in mine, all good sized and no boobies.😉
Snoody, why do you need to carry 2 litres of water?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 7-01-17 0:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
t44tomo wrote:

Snoody, why do you need to carry 2 litres of water?

I didn't know there was a limit. Does it depend on your skiing abilities?
ski holidays
Surely it is up to individuals to decide whether they want to have a back pack with them when they ski.
latest report
An idea:

Don't like wearing backpacks? - Don't.
Do like wearing them? - Do.

I'm a bag wearer through and through. I have seen the weather turn enough times to make it worth my while. Growing up in Scotland and being in a profession that involves being cold and wet frequently has given me a respect for the mountains.

I carry a warm jacket for when I/someone crashes. I think we can all agree that injured people get very cold v. quickly on the hills.
A small but fairly advanced first aid fit, too. A friend of mine had his femoral artery cut open by a rogue toboggan-an extreme example. I have some decent medical training; if I saw a friend injured and could do nothing I'd feel pretty poo-poo.

I'm comfortable with my decision, and the kit I carry; it doesn't negatively affect anyone else. What negatively affects others is people not respecting mountain weather or being able to look after themselves.

Risk aware, not risk averse/don't plan; prepare.
snow report
Poo-poo? That's not what I wrote...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy