Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hairline fracture of tibia and resulting haematoma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a haematoma just below the knee on my left leg, from tripping on a step--and knocking my shin against the next step with a sharp edge. It happened in mid- October, and I only had it xrayed a month or so later and was told the bone had a hairline fracture, as I was worried about the haematoma not decreasing in size. It does not hurt, but my leg feels stiff sometimes, especially after sitting or lying down, but I walk a lot to keep some fitness and was hoping to go skiing later this month! Do I dare to ski, try a ski -mojo or should I be cautious and just go walking? Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A hairline fracture should be healed by then
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Julieanne, I can't see a mojo helping at all. What does your doctor say? Have you tried physio to combat the stiffness?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being a hairline fracture, it's perplexing that it hasn't healed in 10 weeks Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowglider, she doesnt say that it hasnt healed. It is the haematoma that hasnt gone away
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, ah, I see Smile. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that, since the haematoma hasn't cleared, the fracture hasn't fully healed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, and all, thanks for your replies! Yes, I am concerned about the haematoma, but mainly because it would be a very sensitive area to get injured again. The doctor I saw initially, (few weeks after the accident) was a dermatologist whom I was seeing anyway, and he referred me to have an xray and a scan. So now finally I have an appointment in the Fracture Clinic, but I don't see what can be done except to give it time. I certainly don't want surgery, the dermatologist said he can refer to a plastic surgeon, but it's not cosmetically that it bothers me at all: I feel bereft at the thought of missing the snow!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Julieanne,

You can get a haeamtoma under the soft layer that coats the bone ( periosteum) . This layer is very vascular and very sensitive. A direct blow can cause bleeding under the layer adjacent to the bone. As this resolves the haematoma which is just a blood clot can start to form bone. That can give the appearance of " new bone formation" that may be reported as being in response to a fracture. A fall like you describe can cause a hairline fracture which in most cases will be showing signs of healing if it happened in October.

I would get the opinion of a Ortho rather than dermatologist. Unless the fracture was across the whole bone you may be ok to ski.

A subperioteal haematologist will be tender for ages and will probably resolve over many months, including becoming a bit smaller.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like to think of a haematologist being tender! Laughing wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, Laughing yes, me too! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonathan Bell, Thanks so much, yes I will be going to the Fracture clinic on Friday, and it would be reassuring if the hairline fracture is such that I could ski. My leg feels a lot better when I've had a long walk, so surely skiing would help! I think the haematoma is reducing very slightly, so I guess it will take some months still.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
I like to think of a haematologist being tender! Laughing wink

Those pesky haematologists😭
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy