Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A week's skiing - last minute - 7th Jan - Any Ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Sorry for the boring post but you lot have some serious knowledge and I was hoping to tap into that.

The fiancee and I are looking to get a last minute trip in, 7th Jan for a week. Lots of deals out there but obviously snow conditions are somewhat sketchy. I'm looking for advice on which resorts I might try to get a ski holiday with at least some snow. No point taking a great deal if on arrival it becomes a walking holiday.

I've had a look around the snow reports and whilst this has given me some awareness, I'm struggling to translate that into narrowing down my search. E.g. La Plagne looks like it has over 50% of their runs open but will it be rubbish still?

Val Thorens I believe is good but there are no deals.

Any experience or thoughts, your advice would be warmly received.

Cheers,
J.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HeyPresto, have a look at the weather thread

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

should give you an idea of where the best of the snow is. Currently i understand East and high probably best, but im sure someone will be along to clarify, they usually are.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austria....... 50cm of snow forecast in the next two days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to go to France then go to Tignes. It's high up, there's loads of snow.

Otherwise, go to Austria: This is the last seven days' of snow:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/alps?over=none&symbols=snow&type=snow.last7days

And this is the next three days':

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/alps?over=none&symbols=snow&type=snow.next3days
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the fast responses. Austria looks good for snow. I know NOTHING about Austrian skiing. I have only ever been skiing in France.

Any resort advice? Which ones are high?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach is good. It's not especially high (but few places in Austria are anyway), but snow predicted and they have a huge amount of snow cannons too. Really good apres.

The best deals probably in the places with the worst snow I imagine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne-like skiing at Ischgl, but with a gondola trip at the start and end of the day. The town is typically Austrian, with some full-on apres bars and quieter places.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HeyPresto, while altitude is some measure of snow surety, be aware that the snow in Eastern Austria is mostly delivered by a different weather system than that of the Western Alps. Cold air heads SW from Russia etc. delivering snowfall at largely lower altitudes than in France.

Depending on what you want, there are a variety of options in Salzburgerland which, if the forecast is accurate, will provide you with plenty of terrain without having to constantly be at 1800m or higher.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/webcams/c11398/

These are Saalbach webcams. As you can see there is a lot of snow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tignes hasn't had new snow for 5 weeks. I'd say go to Austria.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HeyPresto, As has been mentioned Saalbach would be a really good choice. It looks like there's snow forecast this week and next (usual caveats apply) but everything looks to be open. Good range of nightlife and relatively cheap on and off the slopes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's a really quiet time I think so if you don't find a good package deal but there's a reasonable easyjet flight to Salzburg then email the type of hotels u are interested in and see what they can offer. When I went to hinterglemn (same ski area as Saalbach two miles down the road with ski bus link), I stayed in the edelweiss which was a really nice hotel. They send me a Xmas card every year in the hope I return but it's a bit out of my price range now. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As mentioned... some massive dumps expected over the next few days round these 'ere parts... so not offering any bias in any way at all... STAY AT MY HOUSE!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great advice all, thank you. You have not disappointed.

I've been looking at Sallbach (and Hinterglemn) as you all suggested. Sadly it looks like there are not many cheap options out there. I'll keep looking but if there are any other Austrian resorts you'd recommend that would be cool.

St Anton, Lech, Mayrhofen, all keep popping up with deals. Any good? (I did say I know NOTHING about Austria, I am totally out of my comfort zone).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never skied in Mayrhofen and no idea about conditions. It will probably be cheaper than Saalbach.

Lech and St Aston are both more expensive than Saalbach (they are in same ski area).

Austrian hotels tend to be good value for money in my experience and provide much better food/spa/other facilities than in France for equivalent money. Try emailing hotels and see if u can get a discount; it's pretty close to the date so if they have space which they don't think they will fill they may offer you a deal.

The ski amade area which the person above was advertising their hotel for is meant to be reasonable I think because it relies less on its glamour like resorts such as kitzbuhel, St Aston, lech and ishgl do.
latest report
Skiworld.co.uk is your friends for catered chalets in st anton. Some really good deals going currently.
snow report
@HeyPresto, Saalbach Hinterglemm is good, plenty for skiing, great lift system, both south and north facing slopes, so ski south am and north pm. 1.5 hours from Saltzburg airport. Great Apres. You won't be disappointed.

the point about resort height and the weather systems are very valid, don't be put off by the Austrian resort heights, they hold on the the snow much better than France!
ski holidays
As per Gassy222 St Anton looking pretty good. you may get it even cheaper going to the company direct. Dead cheap and snow enroute. Go for it.....
ski holidays
@HeyPresto, You can DIY Saalbach for reasonable money next week.

Ryanair are showing Stansted - Salzburg for £40 return next Saturday.
Holiday Shuttle from Salzburg airport to your accommodation is €45 each way.
Plenty of excellent and cheap B&B Pensions on the Saalbach.com website. E.g B&B at the Pension Norika for €770 for 2 pers.
Alternatively, you can probably find an apartment for less than €500 for the week.

Almost all the resort (270 km) is open. It snowed a little last night. It is forecast to snow a lot tonight and tomorrow.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-01-17 14:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Try Schladming I had great week there last January. I was booked to go somewhere where there was no snow so looked for last minute where there was snow. I contacted the tourist office and got great deal in guest house in town. Schladming is the most well known probably in ski Amade but it's a big area and you can ski somewhere different everyday (better if you have a car)
I have stayed in Flangesax chalet too it's in Radstadt and was great fun.
latest report
Quote:

which the person above was advertising their hotel for

I've got 2 big problems with that statement.... 'person' ... don't you know who I think I should be?!!
'advertising'... I must have come in too weak... that should be either 'pimping', 'touting' or 'spamming'!!

It will be a very quiet week where ever you choose to stay. The week after the New Year is always very quiet with empty pistes and normally great conditions (which look like they are on their way!!)

All major (and minor) resorts will be fully open and in decent condition so I would not worry about the height or locality.
If you want aprés and a healthy nightlife then Saalbach/Hinterglemm, St.Anton and Mayhrofen are winners in this department.

Over my way it is more about exploration. You can ski loads of different areas (some very popular, some are little gems).
A car is handy but not necessary, although if there are 2 of you a small car doesn't end up being that much more than some transfers.

Most large hotels will have some kind of Spa facilities, whether a pool, gym or sauna. Almost all hotels will also offer half-board accommodation.
Use an online booking site like booking.com / expedia / hrs.com to search for accommodation providers, most will be on there for a competitive price... but you cold always drop them an email too!

I'll chuck in 1/2 price catered upgrades for anyone that fancies a trip in my direction next week wink wink
ski holidays
HeyPresto wrote:
(I did say I know NOTHING about Austria, I am totally out of my comfort zone).

The snow's still white and cold.
The food's generally cheaper and I'd have to say generally better (than France).
They speak German but usually very good English too.
Don't go in to the cellar, you never know what you might find.
If you go to one of the more apres resorts (e.g. St Anton, Ischgl) the music's usually more silly pop than drum and base (and you WILL be dancing along to it after a couple of beers, no matter what you say beforehand).

Google a few resorts, check the webcams and look for more white stuff than green/brown/grey stuff.
snow report
Ive just paid £260pp for a catered chalet in La Plagne.

the snow is due to be coming in at some point during the week. but for that little amount of money any snow is better than none
snow report
Thanks to all. Have booked to go to Mayrhofen. Looks like the weather has excited a lot of people and lots of offers on websites don't exist anymore.

Here's hoping for snow because runs in resort are not good but higher up should be cool.

I've never been to Austria. Hopefully I can come back after the holiday and say just how good it was Happy
latest report
There aren't any runs to the valley really (apart from the Eggalm). The valley lifts take you up to about 850m (which is about the same height as me). I think the snow line is about 700m ish at the moment.
snow conditions
Ok cool.
Thanks @flangesax,
Sorry I didn't go with you but was nervous about sorting flights and bits and pieces out to somewhere I've never been before. If something goes wrong I can shout at the booking company Happy

Really looking forward to it now. Need to sort ski hire out but hopefully in a few days we will both look like this snowHead
latest report
@HeyPresto, the apres bar at the bottom of the Ahorn lift is great, give it a try! the skiing on the Ahorn side is a bit limited apart from the run back to the valley floor. Best option is the bubble up to the main Mayrhofen side.
Enjoy
ski holidays
I've heard mayrhofen has riotous apres!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@madlondoner, it certainly does, the ice bar is also a great place to go. 4.30 to 7.30 is bonkers but great fun.
snow report
The new lift should make it easier in mornings. I've only been there for Snowbomming and it was wild lol.
But good skiing.
snow conditions
@HeyPresto, Had an incredible long weekend in Mayrhofen last season. Snow was plentiful and pistes deserted. New Penkenbahn lift also great. Après-schi as chavvy or as civilised as you like it. You will have a ball.
snow report
@HeyPresto, Had an incredible long weekend in Mayrhofen last season. Snow was plentiful and pistes deserted. New Penkenbahn lift also great. Après-schi as chavvy or as civilised as you like it. You will have a ball.
snow report
@HeyPresto, The ski amade region has had a fair bit of snow in the last day or two and is due more and is an excellent region with the best known areas probably being Schladming, Wagrain, Flachau and nearby areas including Radstadt. I've stayed at flangesax's place and can highly recommend it (you may care to consider it another year).

However, as you have now booked Mayrhofen I think you will also have a great time as Austria including that region (the Zillertal valley) is due substantial snowfalls in the next few days. Very Happy . I've been many times to the Zillertal valley, and as well as skiing at Mayrhofen your lift pass covers the other resorts in the valley including Zell am Ziller (Arena ski area) and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen (Hochzillertal ski area). The narrow gauge Zillertalbahn railway runs along the valley past these areas to Mayrhofen (trains are every 30 mins to and from Mayrhofen and travel on it is included with your lift pass (as long as you have skis/snowboard with you)) as are the free skibusses, so I'd definitely recommend spending at least one day each at these other ski areas in the Zillertal. Enjoy Austria! snowHead
snow report
You will love Austria, it ticks all the boxes especially if you your après. Mayrhofen and Soll are probably the best value for money resorts in Austria. The ski areas are fabulous. I have only been to Mayrhofen once, loved the skiing but the queues to get on to the Penken gondola was a mare and down again. I have read with interest that in recent years this has been very much improved with better lifts infrastructure and investment. You will have a ball.
Can't remember the name of the alternative mountain in town which goes to yes limited number of lovely blues etc for your beginners or those who need to build their confidence up first.
snow conditions
HeyPresto wrote:
Thanks to all. Have booked to go to Mayrhofen. Looks like the weather has excited a lot of people and lots of offers on websites don't exist anymore.

Here's hoping for snow because runs in resort are not good but higher up should be cool.

I've never been to Austria. Hopefully I can come back after the holiday and say just how good it was Happy

Mayrhofen doesn't have resort runs, save for one from the Ahorn. Gondola up, gondola down the Penken (if you ARE in Mayrhofen itself). Used to be a cable car and a nightmare but now much better.

Snowsure - especially now - as most runs above 1500m
snow report
Scarlet Fez wrote:
You will love Austria, it ticks all the boxes especially if you your après. Mayrhofen and Soll are probably the best value for money resorts in Austria. The ski areas are fabulous. I have only been to Mayrhofen once, loved the skiing but the queues to get on to the Penken gondola was a mare and down again. I have read with interest that in recent years this has been very much improved with better lifts infrastructure and investment. You will have a ball.
Can't remember the name of the alternative mountain in town which goes to yes limited number of lovely blues etc for your beginners or those who need to build their confidence up first.

Ahorn.

Went twice in the 80s on Club 18-30 hols and had a real ball.

Austria to me seems the best all round bet. Cheaper than France/Switzerland. Best lift systems (lots of fast chairs, gondolas - Mayrhofen even has one that's half and half I think). Great snowmaking. Good service, everyone speaks English. Good apres in most places. Picturesque. Good ski areas now, fair bit in trees, and this season has the best snow apart from parts of Italy.
snow conditions
@HeyPresto, remember your Mayrhofen ski pass actually covers all the Zillertal resorts. I prefer the skiing at Kaltenbach, which you can get to by train or bus for free. Zell am Ziller is also well worth a day out.
ski holidays
@HeyPresto, Not sure if you already made a decision, however, I just got back from Zermatt. The conditions there up high are really nice. Cervinia side has good snow all the way down except for maybe the last few hundred metres descent. The forecast is another 15cm's or so over the next day or 2 so i'd expect you'd find some good snow there.

Davos and St. Anton also have quite some snow in the forecast Smile
ski holidays
Just spent the Christmas week in Soelden (two glaciers, main ski area largely above 2000m altitude) and all but one valley runs were open (combination of artificial snow and snow which had fallen at some point after November I think). Also skiied Obergurgl/Hochgurgl for a day.

Currently, snowing in both resorts and starting to look really good. snowHead
latest report
For those who might still be thinking about a trip next week or the week after, Ryanair are still offering Stansted - Salzburg return for about £42

From Salzburg there are numerous resorts within 90 mins transfer - Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See, Lofer, St Johan in Tyrol, Maria Alm, Bad Gastein and others - all of which have received a good dump of snow over the last 24 hours with more forecast.

Next week is low season so the tourist offices will have plenty of accommodation at reasonable prices.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy