Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US skier claims world record cliff jump: 245 feet

Poster: A snowHead
A skier from Utah has pulled off what is believed to be the world's greatest cliff jump, in neighbouring Wyoming.

Jamie Pierre, 32, of Salt Lake City, jumped 245 vertical feet off a cornice on Fred's Mountain, above the resort of Grand Targhee. The stunt was captured by several video and still photographers, with measurements made by ski movie producers Teton Gravity Research.

This report from LocalNews8.

Hopefully we can source some tasty visual evidence of this achievement shortly!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He is probably 3 inches shorter now...!!

Like to see the film though
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jamie Pierre is all about the massive cliff drops. He's been scouting this one out for a few years, I believe.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But..., and strangely absent from the report, did he carve his turns and hence go faster down the 245 foot drop, or was he towed down behind a motorboat? At what point did he experience the maximum acceleration? 71% of us need to know? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a report on this on Epicski, where it mentions a less than perfect landing .... on his head. Would you want to claim a record this way?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unbelievable:

Quote:
He landed head first and blew a hole six feet deep in the snow.

And that's a success!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DavidS wrote:
Unbelievable:

Quote:
He landed head first and blew a hole six feet deep in the snow.

And that's a success!

I guess if he was able to walk away afterwards Shocked you can call it a success Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's a pic of this jump in a TGR forum:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45093

Amazing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now who's going to learn that in a coaching session? The pic looks like a base jump so with no parachute walking away counts as 100% success in my book. Cue debate though - is it skiing wink

Edit : And sooner or later he or one of his competitors will die so is our interest in this a bit like watching a snuff movie? I don't know but I feel a bit uneasy about this aspect of the industry.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Little video of Jamie Pierre that's worth checking out:
http://www.freeride.nu/content/517/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ponder,

I see he crosses himself after the jump so perhaps he doesn't feel his safety is entirely in his own hands.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"He said he made the jump to spread the message of Christianity"

Hmmm . . . getting lots of fundi-faux christians to junp off cliffs . . . good thing / bad thing?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't this guy have a two month old baby? He didn't land it either. I'd put him down as having a very strong potential to win a Darwin Award.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course, he'd be more entitled to a Darwin award if he hadn't reproduced. Very Happy
snow report
It could be neither one nor the other. If Jamie Pierre and partner only conceive one baby they are contributing to a halving of the population, and only one genetically-programmed ski lemming.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 30-01-06 11:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, he'd still be more entitled if he hadn't reproduced!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 30-01-06 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Of course, he'd be more entitled to a Darwin award if he hadn't reproduced. Very Happy

At least one 'jump' of his was successful wink
latest report
Natives have a report and photo on Jamie Pierre's outrageous 245ft jump:

http://www.natives.co.uk/action/list.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=972
snow report
Have a look at this newspaper photo
http://tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9926&stc=1&d=1138488902
ski holidays
A "cut lip" from a headplant off that monster has got to make him some sort of legend!
Can anyone estimate his speed when he hit the snow?
ski holidays
is he going to do it again to see if he can get the landing right ? Puzzled
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Can anyone estimate his speed when he hit the snow?

Ignoring wind resistance, a body falling 245 feet under gravity would have reached a velocity of 125.2 feet/sec or 85.4 mph Shocked . The effect of wind resistance would of course reduce this somewhat Toofy Grin
snow report
He has my respect for even cosidering it, whether or not he landed. As to whether it's skiing, I don't think so, on the other hand it is entertaining. David Blaine wasn't doing magic in my opinion when he did his perspex box thing last year and that wasn't entertaining so maybe skiers are more entertaining when occupied in not skiing than others drifting from their cause. Regardless it certainly belongs on this site and I congratulate DG for bringing it to my attention.
latest report
I assume he must have been wearing a helmet to have survived that wink
snow report
Believe it or not, Jamie Pierre doesn't wear a helmet
snow report
Where there's no sense, there's no feeling rolling eyes
ski holidays
If you fall from 245 feet onto something hard on your head, there's not a helmet in the world that's going to make the slightest bit of difference, so why bother.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The height of the jump has been re-measured (by rope, by ski photographer Wade McKoy) to 225* feet:

This report, along with another photo (click to enlarge) from SkiPressWorld.

[* Edit: incorrect. Corrected below]

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 1-02-06 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
David Goldsmith, Think it should be 255 feet, but whats 30 feet amongst friends Laughing
snow conditions
I do apologise: quick and careless reading, on my part
ski holidays
Kramer, My post was an attempt at humour relating to the thread regarding helmets and head injuries Smile As you say, for a stunt like this the helmet would be irrelevant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy