Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment hire in Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am planning on hiring my equipment when we go to Andorra, but my friend has just bought a second hand snowboard from this bloke who went there a few years ago and he said all the hire stuff was rubbish thats why he bought his own.
Personally this sounds like cowdoo to me, but does anyone have any experience of the ski hire places in Andorra, specifically Pas de la casa?
I am only a beginner as well so I dont really need the best gear anyway

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are going to buy something, get properly fitted boots. Hire stuff in Arinsal was fine, but if you just get a pair of boots off the hire rack you probably will have some discomfort. If it is your first trip probably best just to hire....until you get hooked Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not Pas, but El Tarter always seemed fine for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Calbo in Soldeu always used to be good too. So you can probably safely ignore what the guy told you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool thanks for the replies, I thought he would be talking rubbish.

When you rent, what price level do you rent? Again, someone I'm not totally sure I believe said don't go for the cheapest as they are old and knackered, will it make any difference to a beginner?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Recently I have tended to go for the second level up for my wife who has been skiing a few times but is still happiest on blue runs, but the cheapest equipment seemed fine when she had that a few years ago (Soldeau Ski Calbo) The most important part of the equipment are the boots, watch a few youtube videos on how boots should feel and fit for example

http://youtube.com/v/fX9aFvzaceA&list=PLM7W94B6e4-2-Ekxe9pWxIe3JoQu94VVg&index=7

has a pretty good series of videos explaining what you need from a ski boot, along with some basic measurements you can make to understand what size of boot should fit you best and even how to put them on easily.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fredbob, Snowboard hire generally tends to be a bit pants in most resorts, but for ski's you should't have any issue. Pas 83 hire shop in Pas de la Casa has decent stock. They do those Whitedot things that all the skiers seem to rave about (I'm a boarder). My skier friend who is only beginner also rented ski's from them, they appeared to be reasonably new and in good condition.

They also have ski lockers just off the slopes so you can store your skis and boots slopeside if your hotel is a bit of a trek.

Finally, Andorra can be a pretty cheap place to buy kit, especially towards the end of the season, but probably not so much now with the exchange rate. Worth a look though, I've had a few bargains over the years
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm planning on starting off snowboarding this time, but may switch back to skiing - I've already asked the shop and I can change equipment once for free.

So if the snowboard hire equipment tends to be not so good as the hire ski am I better off going for the newer equipment?
The hire shops have
3 year old boards - 87€
2 year old boards - 117€
1 year old boards - 150€

Should I avoid the 3 year old ones and go for the 2 year old ones?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Honestly, who knows. There's nothing inherently wrong with 3-year-old board.. Most of my own equipment is twice that old! I guess it depends on how well looked after it is. I think I would buy the cheapest option and then talk with the guys in the shop if their initial offering is disappointing. But who knows. I used to have the same dilemma when I used to hire! I'm sceptical that there would be a wide range of options overall that could fairly be divided into three price brackets. Generally, shops only have a handful of board options to start with.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just for the record, was in El Tarter over Christmas and asked for some twin tips (have my own boots.) Hire guy had a good old root around pulling out some 200cm monsters (I'm 5'7") and pulled some brand new Salomon TNTs out for me totally unridden.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 3-01-17 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fredbob wrote:

Should I avoid the 3 year old ones and go for the 2 year old ones?

I think you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy