Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance after ACL injury

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I ruptured my ACL on 14th August 2016 and I am due to go on a ski-ing holiday on 24th January 2017. (5 months and 10 days ago).

I've opted to not have surgery as my knee feels very stable. A friend of mine who is coming on the holiday is a physiotherapist with lots of experience of sports injuries has tested my knee and believes it is stable enough to ski. I'm a very good skier, I used to be a ski instructor. I fully realise with my injury that black/mogul runs (which I would normally be doing) would be out of the question and if I were to go on this holiday I would happily just ski blue runs for half the day and then go back to chalet. My friend has offered to speak to my consultant to get a letter from him saying it is okay for me to do light ski-ing on holiday.

My questions is: does anyone know of an insurance company that may be willing to insure me for this holiday for a reasonable price in these circumstances?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an "existing issue" insurance problem every season (hip resurfacing in 2011) and the biggest problem I have found is the wording of the various medical clauses - i.e. disclosure is important, but many only seem to want to cover 25 year olds with no medical history to speak of !!

I would suggest calling MPI brokers and asking them about it - I called them, because I didnt want to answer "no" to the medical clauses and then find that I should still have told them something.

They were very helpful on the phone, and confirmed I was ok for cover, which I now have.

Being honest, in your situation I suspect you will be covered for everything except this specific issue - which kind of means you are taking some risk, but then again you are experienced and probably know how much to push your own body?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fiona5816, If you are worried get the insurance, Carte Neige or whatever the resort is offering, when you buy your lift pass.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fiona5816, I skied for 8 years following my original ACL injury and always told the insurance company. They always said that as long as the consultant was happy for me to ski, then it wouldn't be a problem. I think we were with MPI at that time. When I finally had another accident which completely destroyed my ACL, they paid up very happily
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's any use to you i found the ski club of GB insurance to be very reasonable as a 35 year old with a long-ish term slipped disc sciatica back thing problem (constant pain managed by meds, doesn't usually cause trouble and i'm still mobile is the gist of it).. I believe it was £25 for two weeks - your experience may of course vary, but they're worth a try. I tried a run through without mentioning the problem, and it was only a few quid less undeclared. They mentioned on the application that if undeclared, all the usual stuff would still be covered, with the exception of anything directly resulting from a pre-existing condition. That might be an option.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a flex plus Nationwide account. They authorised a non ski holiday after a broken leg. I went into resort on crutches, but did not ski. After a diagnosis of ligament damage caused at the same time,ligaments not specified, thay covered me for a second holiday. Subsequently, after another break of my leg an ACL rupture was diagnosed. I have had a repair, and they are still happy to cover me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think travel insurance is likely to specifically exclude conditions in the way the private medical insurance does.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonathan Bell, it often does though
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fiona5816, For my return to skiing, I think I had to provide verbal confirmation that my doctor thought I was fit to ski. From memory I recall the knee was covered but with additional excess.

For the Doc, I basically told them that the physio said it was ok (which they had).

I think this was a dogtag derived policy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy