Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Delerium Dive - what's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Banff on the 4th Feb Toofy Grin

We're hoping to do Delerium Dive but would appreciate some advice
from any snowHead's who have done it. We're planning to use a guide.

My main concern is the initial entry to the run. It seems that there are
two ways in - one through a very narrow gap in the rocks and another
that involves climbing down some steps which claims to be a tamer
approach.

Has anyone done the Dive? what is the entry like? if you used the steps
what is the entry point like from there?

Cheers,

Fiona
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In today's Telegraph Travel section, Peter Hardy's article is about his favourite off-piste runs and one of them is Delirium Dive. He says it's medium to severe and "Once past the tricky entry jump, off a cornice, it opens into an enjoyable wide chute that expands into a bowl. You should not attempt this without prevoius couloir experience".

He also says the European guiding concept doesn't exist here and the area is only open when the ski patrol deems it safe.

Sounds fun. Let us know what it's like snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't done it, and never will. I believe that depending on snow conditions there may be more than one way in, some less awkward than the cornice jump.

You probably know that you must ski it with a companion and have probes and transceivers.

Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fiona, I went to Banff for New Year and spent several days at Sunshine. Didn't do the Dive I'm nowhere near a good enough skier. However it is inbounds and avalanche contolled so not sure you need a guide. I do believe however the Sunshine Ski School does something called a Delirium Dive Experience or something similar which includes the tranceivers, shovels, probes etc which you have to have. You enter through a gate which beeps if you have a tranceiver, without one you don't get in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone.

We know about the requirements for shovels, probe, transceiver etc.
We're planning to do it guided - the ski school do "Delerium Sundays"
http://www.skibanff.com/skischool/adult.html so I'll phone them up
and ask all my questions. It looks like they take you for a practice
run on the regular pistes to work out abilities etc. so I'm assuming
that they'll be sensible enough to let us know if they think we're
not good enough. The steps down (which claim to avoid the drop off)
are mentioned at http://www.skibanff.com/mountain/extreme.html

Assuming we don't wimp out after speaking to the ski school folks
I'll you know how we get on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good luck. I've watched lots of people ski it and never seen a fall. I suspect that it may be talked up a bit by the ski company although our instructor at Sunshine won't let his son do it, and the lad is clearly a very competent skier (at it since he was knee high to an alpine grasshopper, fringes of Canadian team etc etc).

Good luck. I'd wear a helmet if I were you, BTW.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A gang of 8 of us skied the Dive last spring. The conditions were perfect - the avalanche warnings were medium but we did it 4 times in one day.

Most of us were novices to this type of skiing, but apart form the initial entry it wasn't too tricky - but awesome fun!!

You do need all of the kit otherwise you cannot get through the gate.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took a wander down onto the ridge at the top of the bowl, didnt go in cos didnt have equipment, but have to say it didnt look that tough. (that said appearances can be deceptive...)

Although it is in bounds and only open when the avalanche risk is deemed low enough, things like sharp drops are not marked (although there might not be any - i dont know). my guess is the first time you do it you would want to be with someone who has done it before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David_M, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm, Fiona hasn't been back yet. Perhaps it was tougher than we thought.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i did it two years ago feb when i was 15 and i wasn't a brilliant skier... i went down the steps and only had time for one run and all i can say is those steps are bloody slippy. Had a minor fall and was fine.... it's not awfully steep, just when i skied it, it was like an ice rink.

good luck to those who ski it in future wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geraint4, welcome to snowHeads.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it's open that week (still closed I think) and if you see a chap in a horrible green jacket doing the sunday tour, say hello snowHead

There's some clips of the drop in on youtube and this one <http> seems to give a good idea of some of the terrain. 27 days, only 27 days...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've walked up to have a look at it twice in the past two weeks. It is still closed and to be honest it doesn't look anywhere near opening. I would expect that it won't open before Feb unless we get a lot more snow. I should be going to sunshine tomorrow so if I remember, and the visibility is good, I will hike up again and take a few pictures of the entrance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cunners, solarfish, thi is an old thread. Fiona, was going in Feb 06.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I know, but DD is still there, and at the moment it is closed. I took it from Cunners's comment that he was going this coming Feb and therefore might be interested in current conditions.
ski holidays
I'd not heard of this before - gonna roadtrip across to Banff to give it a crack later in the season I think Very Happy
snow report
solarfish, Aaah! gotcha.
ski holidays
Skied the Dive last March after years of holding back. Very Happy
If you are happy with the double blacks on Goats Eye, or off the ridge at Lake Louise (ER gullies swedes etc) then you will be fine.

Off to Banff on the 30th so hope it opens soon. snowHead
snow report
i'd say that if you can ski the shoulder comfortably and ski under goatseye express(if you don't care about ruining your skis) fine then you should be ok... i'd recommend going with an instructor or a friend who's skied it a few times because there are quite a few drops where you wouldn't expect them
snow report
I watched some bloke jump into it and then proceed to cartwhell all the way down!

Be careful, that's akk I'd say.
ski holidays
I'm presuming that it is the entrance that gives this run its name and its fame. If you go down the steps you haven't really done the dive, have you.
latest report
I was at Sunshine yesterday, but when I was at the top the visibility was poor so I didn't bother hiking up to take some pictures of DD. However I can report that there has been some avalanche prevention work done on it and a couple of slides were deliberately triggered so no it looks even less skiable than it was. As I said before, I really can't see this run openning before February. It is still one of my goals for this year when it does open though I am not convinced I will jump in to it so maybe I still won't have *really* done the dive as per snowball's post. I will keep updating this thread with any news.
ski holidays
Hope it opens later this season.

Whats the entrance to the run like from the bottom of the steps?
ski holidays
BrightonSki, easy. Just now Delerium Dive may not be open till March. Even April. Was speaking to a couple of patrol guys today and even they seem doubtful. Worst season in quite a few years, was at an avalanche awareness evening the other night and numrous people have been killed this year. Yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It is snowing in Banff just now!
snow report
Rossfra8 wrote:
BrightonSki, easy. Just now Delerium Dive may not be open till March. Even April. Was speaking to a couple of patrol guys today and even they seem doubtful. Worst season in quite a few years, was at an avalanche awareness evening the other night and numrous people have been killed this year. Yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It is snowing in Banff just now!

Oh dear, is that the worst season in years for snow cover,or for avalanche danger?

rolling eyes
ski holidays
BrightonSki, both.
ski holidays
That may be my fault - usually when I go somewhere it's suddenly the worst for one or the other since records began, so it makes sense that when I finally decide to venture across the pond that it's both at once rolling eyes

I'll sacrifice a beer to Ullr tonight.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from Banff and we had snow almost every day for 2 weeks at Sunshine Village, still no sign of Delirium opening though. They recon the snow pack is really unstable.
snow conditions
Well looks like its open now.. Smile
snow report
Any updates on the Dive? Looking to have a crack at it next March ( 2014) snowHead
snow report
AJQ, didn't do it while I was there a couple of years ago but the area was fenced off with a gated entrance, I think the gate has an electronic sensor and only lets you through if you have a transceiver. You're only allowed to ski it with a 'peeped up' partner AFAIK. I did ask about it and unless there's been a good dump it's not that nice. If there's been a good dump then the whole hill's a giant playground anyway.

Favorite areas were mainly on the Goat's Eye mountain, I was the fifth person into the 'south chutes' after a mahoosive dump, and there was good pockets of powder to be found in the trees under the teepee town lift/ the shoulder area four or five days after the snow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy