Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada - early April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is perhaps a little bit of a niche one.

Last year me and the family bought a holiday apartment in southern Spain, that we're planning 2017 holidays around. I'm currently looking at options of a trip in early April that might comprise a couple of days skiing then on down to the apartment (fly in to Malaga, drive up, drive down south afterwards). Now, quite obviously, asking what ski conditions will be like in early April 2017 is a ridiculous question, but I'd like to get the opinions of people who may have experienced that time of year before. Internet research into it is proving a complete minefield; some reports I see says that the ski area remains open until early May; others that it's mostly done by the end of March, except for a few higher slopes. And, while I've skied plenty all around Europe to have a good grasp on "typical" seasonal conditions, southern Spain is not somewhere that has been on my radar before!

I'd just like to get a realistic view of it and I'm wondering if a good deal of slopes might still be open at all or if it will be more akin to summer glacier skiing. Appreciate in advance any and all comments.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In recent years, Sierra Nevada has been the last resort on the Iberian peninsular to close - at the start of May, and with pretty good conditions. In early April - which is pre-Easter - it will be in full swing and they'll be doing everything they can to keep as much as possible in good shape in preparation for Easter. In your situation I'd take the plunge without any doubt whatsoever. Provided it's not a bad season, I think you can reasonably expect most if not all of the resort to be open.

(As you intimate, the typical conditions literally anywhere else are irrelevant; Sierra Nevada has its own completely independent weather patterns.)

The weekends are vastly busier than the weekdays there, so if possible plan around that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there with the kids 3 or 4 years ago at 1/2 term, the resort is pretty high and all above the tree line, we lost a couple of days due to high wind as it's so exposed but overall I quite enjoyed it. Don't be fooled by it's southerly location, if I remember correctly most of the resort runs are sort of northerly facing and should hold the snow if there is a decent base.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And the current snow conditions are excellent, in strict contrast to many other resorts further north!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SN is high and has a good snow record.

April will be fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks all, I'll definitely plan it in and make a late call on it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been to SN loads of times as we have family on Costa del sol. It's a great little resort, it's a few years since we went last but are looking at early April next year as well then down to the coast for a few days. It's one of those places that you wouldn't think of going but once you've been you'll be going back.
J snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy