Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

portes du soleil Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi looking for guidance from fellow skiers on skiing round the portes du soliel in a day. We will be staying in les gets (in March) so that would need to be the starting point. We have been to the PDS many times but never tried to ski round the area in a day so looking for any advice on what is achievable and where to eat on the way. Many thanks in anticipation for any advice Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I assume you mean do 'the loop', in which case, provided you're all compotent skiers/boarders it's perfectly do-able but you will want to be on the first lift in the morning and probably packing some sandwiches/snacks to eat on a gondola/bus for lunch rather than stopping.

I've only had one opportunity to tackle the loop (normally there in early Jan so something not yet open) and the main advice I can give is follow the route! We decided to tackle part in reverse which meant skiing down next to a chair then taking the drag lift pair from hell back up, rather than skiing next to the drags/taking the chair.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assume you mean do the "Circuit" unless the "loop" is something different because it includes Les Gets? I'm not quite sure how you do part of it in reverse without doing it all in reverse, anyway...

You have to get yourself somehow to Morzine, which ever route you choose, then either Morzine-Avoriaz-Les Crosets-Champoussin-Morgins-Chatel-Avoriaz-Morzine or the reverse.

Without Les Gets easily done in a day by reasonable intermediates with a decent lunch en route. Adding Morzine-Les Gets x 2 might make that trickier.

If me, I'd make an early start and aim to go round and back to Avoriaz somewhere in time for a late lunch as Avoriaz-Les Gets via Super Morzine easily doable after lunch.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have done the circuit in both directions starting from Morzine every time. Have always preferred going via Super Morzine-Lindarets-Plaine Dranse-Linga-Chatel etc. Stop for a coffee/vin chaud on the way down to Linga (little place on the left hand side, has a lovely fire). Had lunch above Morgins, in Le Toupin near Champery and actually managed all the way round and back for lunch in La Cremaillere (Lindarets) once.

This was done in a decent sized group but all experienced skiers. Start early as the posters above specified.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, @ardbroilach, has a point in that IMV the skiing is better going that way around. Lunch maybe at Abricotine would work with one lift to be above Avoriaz and then choice of routes. I haven't used a shuttle in years but possibly skiing to Prodains and bus to Pleney most efficient.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From Les Gets, we always used to drive and park up in Ardent, then loop clockwise. Coffee stop at bottom of Linga sector, lunch iirc on run down towards Morgins (Corbeau?), usually doing the tour round Torgon on the way. Then on the way back, there are several options depending on how much time is left, experience and speed of skiers in the group. Have hopped straight over at Mossettes before, and also skied the full Champery bit over in to Avoriaz and drop back down to Lindarets/Ardent.
Things have changed a bit since the last time I went in winter... new lift between Linga and Chatel? (Hope that negates the need for the bus ride).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy, Yup. There are two lifts that make a link between Linga & Chatel, so you can now get all the way to La Chapelle D'Abondance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for all the advice very much appreciated.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any good instructor recommendations for Chatel? I'm a fairly solid intermediate looking for some private lessons next week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a thread on here last year or maybe the year before which talked about doing all the resorts in the PdS in a day.
Not sure if anyone on here got round to doing it as it was mooted late in the season, and last year the window of opportunity was small, as it is easiest done when the lifts are open late ( March ), but you need decent Snow in CH ( Feb ).
So if you want a challenge give it a try. You will need a bit of preparation the day before by leaving a car in La Panthiaz.
So head up the the Chavannes and make your way over to the Plenney, cross town and hit Super Morzine bubble or get bus to Prodains. Then go to Fornet bowl and drop over into Champery, over the hill to Les Crossets, across to Champoussin, down to Morgins. Cross town and head up the Corbeau, then take the TK du Culet ( see worst drag lift thread ). Blast thru Chalet Neuf to Super Chatel, then up to Torgon, across to La Chapelle. At the bottom of La Panthiaz jump in the car you conveniently left there in good Blue Peter style, and drive to Abondance (you can skip Cret Beni as you have already ticked the La Chapelle box ).
Take the Abondance Gondola and do 1 run. Back in the car over and the Col Du Corbier to St Jean Station ( If you are making good time do the Roc d'Enfer Circuit), otherwise do the main run back to the car and drive to the Back of Mont Chery. Take the chair up, a little run down the other side and you will have nailed it. Back where you started.
That's what I call a PdS circuit Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, the challenge is to do it without leaving a car anywhere...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Without motorised transport you won't do all the resorts of the PdS in one day.

You can do the variants of the classic circuits with Pds & Gabelou, clockwise and counter clockwise, and even use Prodains, Nyon and Super Mozine so the ingress and egress points from Morzine are different, but you wont get to Abondance, or St Jean on skis.
(Well actually you can ski into Abondance, but you would need to hike up the the top of Drouzin Le Mont first.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy