Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas / NY: should I change from St Anton to Sauze d'Oulx?

Poster: A snowHead
I love St Anton - the terrain, the vibe in town etc.

But this year the snow is almost non-existent outside of pistes, and barring some sort of (post-)Christmas miracle, there won't be much else coming. Whereas the Milky Way looks like it will get hit with extra snow in the next days, on top of an actual base, a rare thing in the Alps during this early season.

I have found a couple of hotels in Sauze d'Oulx which cost less than the remainder of what I would have to pay in St Anton (I'd lose the deposit I paid, but that's a sunk cost anyway). We're driving from Brussels so we have some flexibility (well, it's more complicated, my son needs to fly in two days later, but I think I have a solution for that).

My girlfriend will ski on piste anyway (though she might enjoy more if we were in white rather than green mountains). My son and I may well do some offpiste if we go to Sauze.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon wrote:
I love StAnton

I think you're on yer own there Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horizon,

As you say the snow will be far better. However also note that the lifts/pistes will likely be busy. I was at the Milky Way over Christmas/NY a few years back and there were quite long queues I suppose because it's so close/easy for locals to visit from Turin etc. As the snow will be quite nice I'd expect more people to make the effort than if it wasn't. Another smaller resort that has similar snow levels would be ideal although I'd probably still go Sauze over St Anton.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow will be better. It's snowing today (albeit only a dusting).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@martinm, Shocked Laughing Laughing

@Millom, indeed, I hadn't yet considered crowds...hmm.

(I still need to figure out if I can cancel St Anton with only the loss of the deposit, they may be unhappy about that. Plus getting flights for my son will be tricky. If I hadn't yet reserved, I would certainly head for Sauze / Sestriere now).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@horizon,

If you do decide on Sauze I'd aim to move a little away from Sauze towards Claviere or Sestriere when you ski as I think these will be quieter areas. Looks like the snow level may be a little high too (the further north you go more so) therefore wherever you decide consider the snowline may still be around 1500-1800m with heavy rain below. For example forecast is for rain in Zermatt but snow higher up and the same in Monterosa with rain in the valleys and snow higher up. Mondole and Limone would be the best choices perhaps (much more snow falling and to lower levels) but a lot further to drive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No comparison
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, "No comparison"

One resort has good snow conditions and the other doesn't?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergfex is now suggesting that St Anton might get a whole 1 - 2cm on Sunday! Woop! Let's face it, even if you get a bit more of a dusting in Italy, conditions are going to be pretty sketchy off piste so maybe it's a week for a hoon around resort, a good lunch and a few beers? That's what I'm thinking, anyway ..... I fly out Friday and will not be packing avy gear etc. I'm just taking some piste skis, a few books and my drinking trousers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Until yesterday I was hoping for 10-20cms of snow in St Anton over three days or so, starting Saturday Sad ...

Tough choice. I have snowheads friends going to St A, whom I would like to ski with, but it just feels weird to go there when all around is brown / green...while in Via Lattea the webcams look great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, Bergfex looking slightly better now, and the ever-optomistic snow-forecast reckons there's snow on the way .... maybe even enough for me to squeeze a pair of DPS into my bag.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My one and only time in St. Anton was 2009, it had recieved pretty sketchy snowfall (but still more than now) and it seriously sucked. Crowded, narrow pistes of the most vicious ice ive ever seen, it really wasnt much fun. Id say go to Italy if you can!
I wouldnt trust Bergfex to predict the sun will come up tomorrow. How a meteorlogical institute (ZAMG) can get it so wrong, so often is pretty impressive!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@shiva_71, Notic how they always seem to predict a good snowfall for the weekend whoch then gets changed on Thursday NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just north of Sauze, have a look at Val Cenis conditions as it looks pretty good right now. It's north facing side of the valley also so whatever is there now is likely to be the same by arrival as temps are pretty stable.

Also if you're driving there (although it's linked by bus) is Bonneval Sur Arc at the far end of the valley. Looks like both have got a bit of powder to go round.

I do like Sauze though, as long as it's got good snow its a great place for piste food and drink mix.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprehensive and exhaustive review of what is generally considered to be one of the 3 or 4 finest skiing resorts in the world from @shiva_71,
snow report
Just back from a road trip to Pragelato / Sestrierre today (21/12) where we scored 40-50cm of fresh - nuff said rolling eyes

Sauze did not score no where near as much, but you can get to Sestrierre and then the slopes above Pragelato.

KenX ripping the pow

Later on as the weather cleared, this is the car park at 1,500 by the Club Med Cable car
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy