Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorola Talkabouts - a snowHeads frequency?

Poster: A snowHead
No idea how many SnowHeads use these on the mountain... but just a suggestion for those that do.

How about a snowHeads frequency... something easy to remember like the international emergency number, 112 ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG wrote:
No idea how many SnowHeads use these on the mountain... but just a suggestion for those that do.

How about a snowHeads frequency... something easy to remember like the international emergency number, 112 ?

only have the cheaper ones th T6222 and another pair that do 8 x 8 channels.
think you might find a few people have these too Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wondered which ones are compatible. Talkabouts have 8 channels, divided up into 38 different frequencies I think. Can any techies out there suggest how/if something along these lines would work?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As you know, mine are set to 112 - 'cos that's what we all picked for the eosb last year!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use Uniden sets (think they are made by Motorola) which have 8 plus 38 sub channels. Do you know the actual frequency and I'll check the instruction book to see if I can reach the same frequency.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds the same, so it would be main channel 1, sub-channel 12 ...

They're pretty good but I doubt you'll get through to me from Morzine... wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, been trying for the last 10 minutes you could be right Very Happy Sorry I misunderstood your post ( Embarassed how they all ask!!!!), yep I have the same
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty, I have uniden sets and they work on the same frequencies.

Broadsword calling Danny Boy!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, You just need to check - in some resorts the patrollers will use 112 or 911, so be careful you don't end up on their frequency.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat,

Unlikely, as I understand that these are licensed frequecies and not compatable outside that limted licensed bandwidth...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my experience, most radio users tend to use the first channel (channel 1) because they are too lazy to change it. OR at least whenever i've used channel 1 there have been a lot of other users on the channel. I would suggest using one of the other main channels.

It doesn't really matter which sub-channel you use - the main channel is the important one. For those that perhaps don't know - these radios have 8 radio frequencies. EVERY user uses one of the 8 frequencies. The 'sub-channels' are merely an embedded squelching mechanism which ensures that, although there are a number of users on say channel 1, only those who have 'sub channel' 12 will hear other users on channel 12. A user on channel 1-11 is still using the air frequency of channel 1 but won't hear users on channel 1-12. HOWEVER, if the user on 1-11 is trying to talk at the same time as someone on 1-12 there will be a contention for the air frequency and your radio will pick up the strongest channel 1 signal - if your mate on channel 1-12 is further away than the guy on channel 1-11 then you're radio will pick up the transmission from the guy on 1-11. The radio will detect that its subchannel 11 and hear nothing even thou your mate is broadcasting...

This is why often you have to repeat yourself alot when using these radios... it is also the reason why you need to <pause> slightly between pressing the push to talk button and actually speaking - this is because each receiving unit needs to work out that the transmitting unit is using the same sub channel as it is programmed for BEFORE opening up the speaker on your radio ( don't know if you've noticed the clipping of the first word(s) of a coversation when using these radios ? )

Most of the radios allow you to 'scan' the channel - i.e. you select channel 1 but without a sub channel - you then hear all conversations that are going on and can therefore judge whether there is too much traffic on that channel or not !

Apologies if I'm telling people what they already know... and I'm not great radio expert, I just read the instructions from cover to cover - saddo that I am rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BTW, in my experience all these radios use the same frequency and sub channels - we have a variety of makes in our party ( Motorolas, cheap Binatones, some radio watch thingys that someone thought were a good idea ). As long as they are on the 8 channels, 38 sub channels then you should be ok.

Only caveat is sets bought in the US - I think they have to use a different frequency over there ! And you probably shouldn't use your European set over there....

That might be a rumour thou !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, it's not that they use them as their main frequency, but that they keep those frequencies clear for people to call in on in an emergency. (or so I've been told in some resorts)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie_S wrote:
Only caveat is sets bought in the US - I think they have to use a different frequency over there ! And you probably shouldn't use your European set over there....

That might be a rumour thou !

No rumour - US ones do work on different frequencies.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

And,therefor,are totally interference free on yer average French mountain wink

Unless,of course,there are yanks on the hill.They bring their own!
snow conditions
snowskisnow wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

And,therefor,are totally interference free on yer average French mountain wink

But they are also therefore totally illegal to use on yer average French mountain wink (or elsewhere in Europe)
ski holidays
Oi! Binatones ain't cheap! ( they may be rubbbish, we'll have to see next time out, but they are definitely not cheap)

And they do include mosquito sonics for those summer nights...

I have a pair of Trek 100 on charge as I type, (yes, 8x38 channels) - see/hear you in March PG!
snow report
There are some other Snowheads discussions around the use of these radios. Search for PMR446.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy