Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with opportunities for snow fun for little girl with mobility difficulties

Poster: A snowHead
Unfortunately my little girl has cerebral palsey which has a significant impact on her mobility and she has to use a wheel chair. daddy who is going skiing this year without family has promised his little girl a holiday in the snow next year. Criteria include
1. opportunities for little girl to have some snow fun;
2. some skiing for me -at least half of every day would be devoted to family
3. my little boy will be 3 next year - so good fun creche opportunity (should he have some lessons at 3?)
4. nice accomodation - my Mrs not keen on skiing will want comfort (her experience to date are skiing in basic chaelets - she was not impressed)
5. I guess childcare not least if we do go that we will have another little one with us

Any ideas greatly received -even if it doesn't happen next year because of arrival of No3 - then its a must for the year after
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi dan100, I do believe that the USA will cater best for your needs. Although I've never skied there, they are more geared up for kids. Try www.sundayriver.com.( I researched this, with the intention of taking my American niece and nephew there. )
If you look under resort info, there is a section on handicapped skiing, and a web-site www.skimhs.org
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. I'm really open to more suggestions. My only reservation about US is the lenth of journey with 3 relatively young children
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Dan

A friend of mine has been with 'Mark Warner' holidays and has always been really pleased with their services for children.

If you're looking ndependently, I recently visited Avoriaz for the first time and thought that the horsedrawn sledges through the village were really fun for kids. And the gondola ride up from Morzine would be fun for the kids too. I don't know about really nice accommodation though or if it's rowdy at night (we went for the day).

Our village is really family friendly - Samoens, in the Grand MAssif. It has a really nice kids' ski area at the top of the Grand MAssif Express and there's also dog sleighing- which kids love. (9 hours drive from Calais or 50 minutes from Geneva).

Good luck searching!

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, Wengen, begginners slopes in the resort, creche available, the new trains have low steps so are relatively easy to access, cable car has ramps up to it, I think the Mannlichen Gondola have a special wheechair cabin (but I'm not certain) much more fun than being stuck at resort level all the holiday, plus if you can get her onto a flight into Berne airport it's less than I hour by vehicle to Lauterbrunnen station, I'd suggest the Sunstar hotel as it's right in the middle of the village with easy access and no stairs up to the entrance, plus it has a pool and a kids play area.

Wengen has one massive advantage for mixed parties of skiers and non skiers, none of the mountain restaurants is more than a few minutes walk from public transport
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, We usually ski with a child that has CP related disabilities. Last yr in La Plagne we hired an instructor and this for the child. The thing we had was more protected than the one on the web page. Although it was not a big hit (shant go into details now) it was an excellent bit of kit an was a huge hit for another profoundly disabed child. The staff were superb. PM me if you want more intimate details. I shall jump in as the thread progresses.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100, I would echo D G Orf's, comments. Certainly Wengen would give you a lot of opportunities to travel up and around the mountains on the train, enabling your daughter to see a lot of different areas. And a good town centre to keep the missus occupied. Some expensive shops though !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the last 3 posts. Frosty I will PM on Monday. Oxygene looks really positive. Wengen also meets the family criteria if some similar isntruction for her to have fun and its somewhere I've wanted to go as well and the Mrs would like. Obviously I'm going to take my girl sledging but one of the things I've promised her is that I would take her skiing so options such as Oxygene look really interesting.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman's wheeze looks interesting. I second the US (or Canada) suggestion. One sees far more disabled skiers there than in Europe, and they seem to have a lot of 'adaptive' kit avaiable, as well as instruction for it. Several resorts offer activities other than skiing/boarding, such as tubing, dog sledging, snowmobiling, some of which your daughter might enjoy, and you certainly get more hotel for your money there. The flights were never a problem for our kids. Some creches offer one or two hours a day ski tuition, enough for a 3 year old.

Depending on your daughters age/interests, Scandinavia might be worth a look; they seem to offer more 'snow activity' hols which either omit or don't major on skiing.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, Not quite the same as the real thing and I suspect that we are not in the right part of the country but at the Norfolk Ski Club we have a very active adaptive skiing section with a full range of equipment and trained staff. They are very happy to give free trials so if you ever have the opportunity to head this way I am sure something could be arranged for more info see Norfolk Ski Club It is quite possible other dry slopes/ Snowdomes might be able to offer something similar.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serfaus in Austria is very family orientated yet has enough skiing to keep Dads (and Moms) happy

http://en.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/

If the family don't want to ski all that much but like swimming then various Austrian resorts have Thermal Baths, and if they are in the baths all day Dad might as well go skiing snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dan100, you should have a look at La Rosiere, there are a number of specially trained ski instructors to help guests with mobility problems, I'd be happy to put you directly in touch with the ski school. There is a superb creche, Les Galopins, some friends of ours had their 3yr old cared for by Les Galopins recently, they were delighted, he learnt to ski but more importantly he was looked after throughout the day enabling them to enjoy their holiday free of concern. La Rosiere is a P'tit Montgnard resort meaning they take extra care with children. Pm me if you need any additional information.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wengen would be good, as there are a few decent sledging runs...in addition to all the other reasons above!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want her to have a go at skiing, no I'm not mad. The WinterPark is the USA's national ski centre for disabled people, it is where the US paraplegic squad do all their training for the olympics. Having seen their instructors in action I would suggest that they would be a fantastic place for someone with mobility problems to experience skiing safely and to have fun. They use specially converted mono-skiing chariots (for lack of a better name for them). Hope this is food for thought. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dan100, I would definitely advise that you follow Frosty the Snowman, s advice as he clearly has direct experience. The rest of us are only dealing in what we've seen, not what we've done.

BTW I think you'd find several adaptive instructors in most resorts in Europe, for some reason many european disabled people just don't seem to take it up. There are also the Uphill Ski Club and the Disabled Ski Club of Great Britain (I think) who could help with proven info.
snow conditions
Lorraine wrote:
If you want her to have a go at skiing, no I'm not mad. The WinterPark is the USA's national ski centre for disabled people, it is where the US paraplegic squad do all their training for the olympics. Having seen their instructors in action I would suggest that they would be a fantastic place for someone with mobility problems to experience skiing safely and to have fun. They use specially converted mono-skiing chariots (for lack of a better name for them). Hope this is food for thought. snowHead

the nscd at winter park is one of the most amazing programs that i have ever seen. they can deal with ANY disability of any sort.

it is a large well run organization filled with a highly trained, dedicated staff of superstars.
snow conditions
Having been to Winter Park a couple of times (as I glance up at the season passes above my desk), I concur. It's amazing watching these guys who have various disabilities, but they don't let it hold them back from enjoying the snow.
Their courage is an example to us all, and yet, at the same time, it makes me stop and think, and appreciate the faculties I have, but not in a boastful manner.
latest report
To add my 2 pennies worth, looking at either Winter Park or Whistler are really worth considering (despite the long journey). They both have excellent adaptive ski programs for all ages, and Whistler certianly has really good childcare for all ages also (dont know WP so well).

Please do at least have a look at what they can offer for your daughter it might give you more idea of what could be available else where.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/rentals/school/ski/adaptive.htm

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/rentals/schoolkids/infants/index.htm

(anyone, feel free to tidy up my links - sorry)

One of my biggest aims is to get to work with the adaptive program out there once i can fund the appropriate training!!

Good luck to you.

snowHead
latest report
Thanks for all the ideas. If the Snowgod is kind maybe I'll get chance to try all of them. I think the US may have to wait a couple of years. I did notice from the Oxygene website they covered Val d' sere and Courchevel as well as La Plagne.
snow conditions
PS Frosty sent a PM now. Hope you get it. Thanks for all your help. Robbie great aim best of luck
latest report
Thanks dan100, hoping it will happen within the next 2 years or so. Something i have wanted to do for a long time.

Please let us know how your plans evolve. All the best.
snow report
You don't say how old your daughter is but you may find that lots of resorts have activities available that you never thought were options. My husband is a paragliging pilot and has taken a good number of people flying with all sorts of disabilities - one I remember very clearly -a little boy of about 8/9 years with CP, in a wheelchair (he took off with the wheelchair which had been adapted with an old pair of skis) the experience was probably just as memorable for the parents as it was for him.
snow conditions
She is nearly 5- think that Mum would have screaming fit at the above (me too)
latest report
Bear it in mind for later - I know it sounds like throwing yourselves off mountains but it really isn't like that and I just remember this little boys face and his parents.
snow conditions
dan100, Just to mention that I've been watching one of our local ESF guys teaching a paraplegic skier this week. As I said, most European resorts will have properly qualified adaptive teachers just waiting for the chance to work.

sarah@alpedhuez, and why shouldn't they? Glad the lad enjoyed it.
snow conditions
Thank you. Sarah - still not sure this would persuade Mum. Easkiski thanks-it sounds like v.sensible to make the enquiry of the local ski schools and book before departing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy