Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carriage chestnut , AGAIN SORRY

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So , this may help clear up a couple of questions from other threads (the answers are from thomas cook airlines) but add one of my own

Can you carry boots in hand luggage YES

can you load up the ski bag with other things YES

Can i put 2 sets in one bag if I HAVE PAID FOR 2 ????????????? this is the $64,000,000 question that nobody can answer

so TC state

and this doc has just come to me from TC

dimensions: length 250 cm x width 40 cm x height 30 cm.

Carriage of skis is strictly limited on flights like golf clubs.

Customers can pre-book this with their Tour Operator.

They can choose to book this at the airport with the representatives at a higher cost but it will be subject to availability, as space cannot be guaranteed.

For each ski carriage paid, only 1 x pair of skis & 1 x ski boots may be carried.

We do not allow 2 sets of skis to be placed in any one bag.

If a client has Ski Carriage and Hold Baggage purchased - Should you wish to use one large ski bag or hard case to carry both your equipment and personal belongings together, this may not exceed 32kgs due to weight and lifting restrictions
. No other luggage may be checked in (with the exception of your boot bag which falls within the 32kgs maximum weight allowance).
Ski carriage and Hold baggage must still be paid.

Passengers who pre-book carriage of their are guaranteed that in the event they are off loaded (due to aircraft weight restrictions), the booking fee will be refunded and the skis will be forwarded to resort at no extra cost. Should this not be practical, quality skis will be provided in resort for the intervening period (one set per fee paid).

For this reason, we do not recommend that you use a large ski bag or hard case to carry both your equipment and clothing together as we do not replace clothing.

Important note: You are responsible for the airport storage and costs of any equipment refused passage due to failure to pre-book aircraft space for your skis.

The airline have confirmed that ski boots can be carried on flights as cabin luggage.

This is applicable on TCX flights ONLY.

Limits and dimensions remain the same in that each person is allowed to carry one 6kg piece of hand luggage on to the plane the size of the luggage can be up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Avalanche Safety Bags – Can be accepter under the following condition’s. 1 Per Passenger, If it contains compressed gas – it must be under 250mg, Must be packed in a manner that it cannot be accidently set off, Must have a pressure release valve. If the bag meets these requirements, customers are fine to carry them in the hold.

but i still do not understand why i cant have 1 ski bag with 2 skis and padded with salopettes etc up to as TC state 32kgs , but i can if its just 1 bag ???

am i missing something very very obvious here?

and why can't it be easy to make it clear , so we don't stress , at least with BA i just have to comply with the weight
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can put as many pairs of skis as you can fit as they won't check, it's just if you claim against the airline if they lose or damage them then they won't pay out for more than 1 set. I've never had my bag checked.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i would claim against my insurance , as my skis and ski wear are covered under my house policy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And they would likely remind you that under the Montreal Convention *the airline* will pay you for all that, and there's obviously no exclusion rule there. There will be a small print clause in your insurance which should tell you that.

If they do *lose* your kit, you have to wait a month whilst they look for it before you can claim the full value however (BA: not sure about others). They obviously cover rental whilst that's happening, but the details aren't spelt out in the convention so that's where you end up negotiating.

Mostly what happens is that if your stuff gets lost then they will ship it to you quite quickly. A relaxed attitude helps, but even in the wildest places: (a) mostly stuff doesn't get lost; (b) mostly when it does, you get it within 24 hours. It's rare for stuff to be totally lost, but it happens.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also remember that the check-in staff at different airports often have nothing to do with the airline, and don't know the policy. And sometimes the airport policy over-rules the airlines policy anyway. And, the situation can change from day-to-day.

Bottom line, is that it all just depends on the day! I have found that smiling and being helpful and relaxed at the check-in desk works wonders, and I've got away with all sorts of stuff.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nobody ever looks inside your bag. Just make sure you comply with the weight and size limits, and don't question it with the staff, it will be fine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never had issue when flying BA but in 15 years this is our first ever TO holiday (ski) we normally go to the states or europe independently

I understand why they say not 2 skis in one bag to try and stop people getting away with the price of a ski carraige , i wish they could simply say this is the weight , this is the size , away you go .

We just want to cart about minimal bags as we do when we trek round the usa with them , one bag each , one carry on each , and our ski bag .

sounds simple to me , but life never is is it .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It really does seem to vary with who you're flying with; and even then it changes year on year, check in person to check in person. I also wish that they just made it simpler and standardised.

Thompson, with whom I've always flown on ski hols (always Manchester), techcnially allow only a poxy 5kg cabin luggage (my boots weigh over that!) and 20kg hold (which should include your ski boots, which shouldn't be in ski your carriage bag). Sometimes that's checked, sometimes not; never insisted on weighing my 'handbag' as well.
You pay (if with TO Crystal) for 15kg ski carriage or a double bag at 20kg but it must contain 2 sets or ski + board. You can now put other stuff, clothes etc in.
You can combine hold bag allowances between passengers and also can combine ski carriage (e.g. 2 sets in 1 big bag if you've paid for 2 carriages - but then you can lose 7kg that you've paid for, as below): but according to them the EU limit any bag to 25kg, and then they further limit Thompson bags to 23kg (sometimes there's confusion there) - but you can take as many bags as you like, including boot bags as hold luggage.
I have never had my ski carriage bag (skis + board in) checked or inspected, only sometimes even weighed, and it always has to go through large baggage screening, so often they just tag it and pass it back. We've always ended up pushing the ski+board bag up to or over 23kg (Mr G's board and bindings are very heavy for a start) without boots (which push our hold bags to 20kg easily).
However, to be on the safe side this year, as I want to take 3 sets between 2 of us, I've paid the extra £20 to get a single and a double carriage bag (also allows more overall hold weight which I want this year).

Had a completely different experience several years ago with Ryanair at Liverpool (climbing, not ski), and read about completely different allowances and policies from other TOs and other airlines.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy