Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill Factore

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to the Chill Factore last night. What has happened to the snow? Id describe it as skiing on sand. I only did an hour to test some new skis and boots but left after about 40 minutes after paying £27 which also seems a bit ridiculous. I'm sure the snow quality didnt used to be that bad. Are they now using a cheaper way of creating snow or adding a chemical to make it last longer or something? You hit patches of the stuff and practically stop. I heard they had an event cancelled there not long ago (British skier cross) potentially due to poor snow?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It does seem a bit hit and miss. I went a few weeks ago and the snow was fine. A week or so ago I went and there were just clumps everywhere and quite a few nasty patches of ice. I really didn't mind the clumps and bumps in the snow as it meant I could practice turning to avoid them etc. The problem is its sort of hard do do that sometimes when there's a lot of people skiing down incredibly slowly because of the ice and bumps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has got a lot LOT worse. So much so some events have been cancelled this year.

I went a couple of weeks ago, week day at 4pm so you wouldn't expect it to be trashed. Glad I took my SL skis and Park skis.

SL skis went straight back in the bag and I played with my park skis instead as it was like heavily tracked off piste - 12-18 inches deep of messed up granulated mush, with ices patches at the top and in random places down the middle and some of the metal and glycol pipes showing through in places.

Certainly not what I went for, and at first was peed off id paid, but actually at the end I was quite glad for it as it was good practice for holidays Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haven't been for a few weeks but I was told a while back that it's something to do with a chemical which they put in to stop the artifical snow forming in a not-snow-like ice/crystal structure/way (or maybe to make it form properly - not sure). Maybe a de-icer, glycol or similar?
They did the replacement 'scrape' a few months ago because of this problem but apparently immediately something went wrong again - too much got added, or there was an accidental spill or overdose or something - so straight away it went back to the poor structure/form of 'snow', like sugar, which very easily forms mounds etc. Presumably it's too costly or problematic at their busiest time to replace it again?
Plus it has got a lot busier since September/October so it is getting messed up easier.
Don't know what the ice pack is like underneath but it was getting pretty dangerous when I was there: mounds and soft bumps transitioning to very solid scraped-away ice underneath. Not quite sure which type of skis to use!
Good practice in one way, horrid in another: and not beginner/intermediate or snowboard friendly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What's the apres like?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@homers double, like any dome, you have to take a ton of freinds otherwise erm poo-poo Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has the snow quality improved at all? Considering a trip in the next few weeks but won't both if it's still very poor
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Northernhills, erm, I went a couple of weekends ago.

It seemed VERY sugary.

I guess you have to look at it a couple of vary.

If you want groomed flat pistes for a zoom around get there early and avoid weekends.

If you want crud practice go for lunchtime

If you want moguls and ice head there in the evening

Whilst it was a bit annoying at first, I just smiled, swapped my skis over (so sad I took 2 pairs with me!) and had fun in a different way.

My little lad was peed off though - he is used to the ice of Tamworth, rather than moguls taller than him Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers, was only to get a tiny bit of practice in before I jet off abroad so will head up first thing in the morning one day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy