Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kingpins vs. Radical 2s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to decide what sort of touring binding to buy for a new set of quite fat, not particularly light skis which will be used for short tours and general lift-accessed skiing.

My choice is between Kingpins and Radical 2s. I’m trying to decide if the alpine-style heel binding of the Kingpins is all it’s hyped-up to be, or whether to go with the Radical 2s and their compliant toe binding.

I do all my skiing - both on and off piste - on the original Radicals, so I’m comfortable with tech bindings in this regard.

I read lots of internet wisdom about the heel pins of Dynafit-style bindings not being particularly torsionally stiff, and that the Kingpins' arrangement is waaaaayyyyy better. I am sceptical that this is something I would be able to detect.

I can see that in isolation the Radical heel pins arrangement would not be as stiff as the Kingpins. However, at the other end the toe binding pins are very stiff, and they are solidly attached to the ski. My boot is also very stiff. So, unless either my boot twists along the sole (it surely doesn’t) or the ski twists significantly between toe and heel (seems unlikely), I can’t see why the Kingpins would be noticeably different.

Thoughts please!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied the Rad 2s - the only tech bindings I've skied are the Kingpins and old TLT Speeds (now badges as Speed Turn).

The Kingpin IS waaaaay better than the old TLT. Much more alpine binding like, really positive connection to the tail of the ski. If you like to drift and slash the tail out, it makes a big difference.

That said it's still not quite as alpine binding-like as it's hyped - you definitely do rattle and chatter more on hard snow at speed. I'm VERY happy with them, but I wouldn't ski them as an every day resort binding.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-12-16 10:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Highland Lad, If as you say you have been happy with the original Radical, both on and off piste, I would stay with the Dynafit option.

By original Radical, I assume you mean the non ST/FT version, without the extra heel spring. After I switched to the Radical ST (with heel spring), I realised that my Plum Guides (TLT copy) had actually been quite harsh on rough stuff, and the Radical ST gave a quieter ride. The Radical 2 ST has both the rotating toe and mechanically improved heel (including the toughened top plate).

I've got Beast 16's on my really fat skis, but I have just put the Radical 2 ST on my 112mm waist skis.

I believe that some boots (Dynafit TLT 5 & 6) need an adapter for Kingpin heel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't notice anything untoward on Radical 2's last week and thought they skied very well on piste. I guess we're not fitting these to stiff race ski's so a certain amount of 'give' may be lost in translation. Certainly I didn't feel any.

I'd be more inclined to choose the Kingpins if they were less inclined to ice up and make my fingers bleed....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys.

@PowderAdict, ah, you're exposing my ignorance. No, I'm on "original" STs. Interesting, I didn't know they had built-in compliance.

My "quite fat" skis are only 108 underfoot and I've ruled Beasts out for their weight and lack of flat touring option. Oh and needing the faff of a power insert or whatever it's called. Don't need any special heel extension for my Freedoms if I choose the Kingpins Smile

@AndAnotherThing.., good to know re. The Rad 2s. However, I am a little worried that you incurred the same injury as biddythomas, she's quite talented at doing techie stuff a bit wrong. It was distressing following the pair of you and the trail of red snow you left in your wake...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Highland Lad, Not all the Radical ST's have the heel spring, as I believe there are 3 or 4 versions all called the Radical ST. The ones with springs are the last ones before the ST 2.0, and they can be identified as they have an extra strengthening rib molded into the black plastic below the top cap. You can also see the spring from underneath if you remove the heel piece.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy