Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA cabin crew vote for Heathrow strike action, could be anytime after 21 Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Argh - here we go again.

Puzzled

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38319538
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Time to look for another airline.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, better not be my Boxing Day flight.

Gotta love Unite Union nonsense:
Quote:
low pay is a safety issue
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
Time to look for another airline.

This one maybe? Toofy Grin

On a personal note, I turned up at Munich airport on 29th November for my return to Birmingham after a week's ski trip to Hintertux, only to find that my Lufthansa flight had been cancelled due to strike action (and what's more I received no prior notification at all by text or email from Lufthansa even they they'd been quite capable of sending me a text informing me of a gate change on my departure flight) Evil or Very Mad Having said that after queuing for half an hour at the Lufthansa desk they were able to re-route me via Zurich on their partner airline Swiss.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well first thing is to wait to see what dates the staff/Unite call, and selfishly hope it's not a date you are flying.

Booking anything else now until specific dates are called and the airline informs you that your flight is definitely effected, ie. on a speculative basis, would be at your own cost/risk.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AFAICS it's just members in Mixed Fleet who were balloted, which is a subset of (newer) BA cabin crew on worse pay than the rest. Which is probably their point.

Routes are crewed by a single fleet so I guess this only impacts the routes that currently are operated by mixed fleet.

The latest list of routes I can find is getting on for a year old and has Venice (and Bologna and Stuttgart) as mixed fleet, but nothing else near the Alps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mtsuit, do you happen to know if Basel is Mixed Fleet on that list? I'm (supposed to be) flying home for Christmas Basel to Heathrow on the 23rd...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was about to say no from the list I based my last post on but just saw http://www.cabincrew.com/forums/mixed-fleet-destinations/206393/13 -- which suggests BSL was in August.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent, airlines don't even have to compensate you!!!

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-had-a-flight-delay-due-to-a-strike-can-i-get-compensation

I can't wait to have a fun conversation with the insurer explaining how strikes aren't covered because of blah blah blah if this goes ahead rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mtsuit, bugger. Thanks very much for checking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flying BA on 22nd December... But Stockholm (STO) and Stockholm Arlanda (ARN) are not on the mixed-fleet list @mtsuit posted... Fingers crossed then.

Personally I don't see why a robot can't come down the aisle and serve me a drink.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Themasterpiece wrote:

Personally I don't see why a robot can't come down the aisle and sell me a drink.

FIFY
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mtsuit, It may be the point, but BA was unlikely to survive paying the scales of the old legacy airline (effectively a national carrier) where a senior cabin crew member could be earning far more than a first officer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BA not my favourite airline today. Cancelled my flight home from Abuja to London 😡 And next flight ........oh sorry sir it's tomorrow!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Themasterpiece wrote:
Flying BA on 22nd December... But Stockholm (STO) and Stockholm Arlanda (ARN) are not on the mixed-fleet list @mtsuit posted... Fingers crossed then.

Personally I don't see why a robot can't come down the aisle and serve me a drink.

Yes , I think the same robot could be opening the doors on Southern, how does the tube work with no one opening the door, if it is a safety issue on a train why not the underground? The tube is far more crowded and people impatient. Unite have missed a trick here, poor drivers are doing two jobs.
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:

Ah but can that robot get you off that plane in an emergency, give first aid/CPR or sort out argumentative or drunk passengers?

(My friend was on the old contract until she took redundancy last year. The Unite union were very good at protecting that contract from many challenges over the years.)
snow report
@chocksaway, *their* point. To an outsider the old contract seemed too generous and ultimately kept alive by the over-the-odds fares we pay because a union has defended its people in a market where it's almost impossible for a start-up to disrupt a former flag carrier on long haul routes from major hubs due to capacity limits.

Cabin crew is seen as a glamorous job with good travel and perks and has low training/qualification needs to join so there's plenty of supply of people: if BA can't recruit or retain sufficiently quality staff on these wages they'll need to put them up, but if it looks good on a CV, lets you work long-haul (eventually?), meet people, and enjoy yourself so -- much like seasons -- there seems to be a ready supply of good people willing to do it at least for a while even on low wages.
ski holidays
mtsuit wrote:
I was about to say no from the list I based my last post on but just saw http://www.cabincrew.com/forums/mixed-fleet-destinations/206393/13 -- which suggests BSL was in August.

Innsbruck from LHR is a new route so wouldn't be on that list... anyone know if it is mixed fleet...

Flying LHR/INN Jan 7th - silly me changed it from LGW/INN as times better...
snow report
@buchanan101, I don't think it's affected. I'm going on NYD, so I hope not.
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
just asked ex-sister in law and an ex gf who are both BA LHR cabin crew to see if they know for sure...
snow conditions
If this drags on, dollars to doughnuts that the Feb week will be next target... :/
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
laundryman wrote:
just asked ex-sister in law and an ex gf who are both BA LHR cabin crew to see if they know for sure...

HOT off the press from ex sister in law - LHR/INN is Eurofleet so won't be affected.. Smile
snow report
Commentor on an Independent article says Tokyo Haneda went worldwide fleet this summer so shouldnt be affected, but weren't sure. Can any insiders confirm or deny? Not sure i could cope with having to cancel Hokkaido trip.
latest report
@Bennyboy1, Funnily enough shortly after reading that I opened Facebook and saw an almost identical message from a colleague also due to fly Abuja to London today. Still, at least it's Abuja and you're not stuck in Lagos ! Toofy Grin

I'd seen on an older Flyertalk thread that Lyon was on Mixed crew, (selfishly of interest to me as I'm flying there on NYE) but thankfully it doesn't appear to be in the more recent lists. I was googling and found this one published in the independent today.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-strikes-which-what-christmas-new-year-flights-travel-plans-disrupted-affected-a7476416.html :-

Quote:
British Airways does not publish lists, and routes shift frequently from one fleet to another — especially at the “seasonal boundaries” between winter and summer timetables. From a range of sources, I have compiled a list that I believe to be correct; please do not rely on it, because I have not had official confirmation.

Routes believed to be crewed by Mixed Fleet, December 2016/January 2017

UK Domestic: Aberdeen, Belfast City, Manchester

Europe: Basel, Bergen, Bologna, Budapest, Dusseldorf, Gibraltar, Gothenburg, Hamburg, Hannover, Helsinki, Kiev, Krakow, Lisbon, Luxembourg, Marseille, Moscow, Oslo, Paris Orly, Pisa, Prague, St Petersburg, Stavanger, Stuttgart, Vienna, Warsaw, Zagreb

US/Canada: Atlanta, Austin, Calgary, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, Miami, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Jose, Seattle

Latin America: Santiago

Middle East: Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Tel Aviv

Africa: Abuja, Cairo, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Lagos, Nairobi

Asia/Australia: Bangkok, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo Haneda
snow report
Thanks for the link - in the comments under that article someone said that Haneda changed to worldwide fleet in the summer, but they weren't sure it still was. Offering massive christmas karma to anyone with inside info as to whether Heathrow to Haneda is worldwide fleet. 'Pay more for BA, it's a much better experience all round' rolling eyes
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
laundryman wrote:

HOT off the press from ex sister in law - LHR/INN is Eurofleet so won't be affected.. Smile

Thank you! Phew, flying on 23rd Dec.
ski holidays
I'm doing Heathrow - Zurich on NYE but this doesn't feature on the mixed fleet list so, hopefully, will be OK.
ski holidays
Those in the know, do you think I'll be impacted? Flying LHR to Zurich on Saturday 17th, returning on Christmas Eve..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cinsha wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Ah but can that robot get you off that plane in an emergency, give first aid/CPR or sort out argumentative or drunk passengers?

I'll open the emergency exit, no problem. You can say the same about safety on a coach or train, but they don't have numerous cabin crew.
latest report
I figure a robot with a tasar could subdue unruly passengers quite effectively.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
Cinsha wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

I'll open the emergency exit, no problem. You can say the same about safety on a coach or train, but they don't have numerous cabin crew.

BA cabin crew have to take annual safety exams which they get rather stressed about and they are more involved and detailed than you might imagine. If they don't pass they cannot fly.
They also get hijack/hostage training. They might save your life one day.
snow conditions
Cinsha wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
Cinsha wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

BA cabin crew have to take annual safety exams which they get rather stressed about and they are more involved and detailed than you might imagine. If they don't pass they cannot fly.
They also get hijack/hostage training. They might save your life one day.

The days of hijacking planes are over. People are not going to sit around waiting for them to fly it into a building.
ski holidays
@mtsuit, Absolutely, the Virgin model! Unfortunately, for him, Beardie had to recruit BA pilots and rues it to this day!
snow conditions
Baggage handlers going on strike now
latest report
Son's supposed to be travelling out to join us by plane on Christmas Eve Sad
snow report
Quote:

Lets b****r everyone's Christmas, utter tw*ts Mad
snow conditions
Brilliant!! I fly out on the 24th.

So how do I find out if Thomson use Swissport or not?
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

Lets b****r everyone's Christmas, utter tw*ts Mad

Scum
latest report
Set of bas****s. Beyond despicable at this time of year.

We fly Christmas Day in the afternoon from Manchester to Munich (Lufthansa) so no idea how this will impact us.

Hopefully that parasite Len McCluskey can resolve something here otherwise it could be terrible for many families.

Anyone who wants to strike should be sacked on the spot and someone who Is desperate for the job should be able to apply, get the bas****s on the dole then they would only wish for their job back.!

Good luck to everyone..
latest report
Guess if you are flying tomorrow and due to return Xmas eve you might end up skiing Christmas Day too??? Unless they willl take passengers sans baggage (reminds me of an A-level French text of yesteryear....)

Flying with Lufthansa Heathrow - Munich so may miss the parents-in-law on Christmas Day if no flights 24 Dec Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool from respective party members' viewpoint.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38347283
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy