Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

packing new skis - over protective or just cautious

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, here goes
Having bought each other skis for Christmas, it came to packing them for weekend last night.
Confused
This is where i'm asking for advice.
Being concerned about the binding being damaged in transit, I've wrapped some old camping mat (you know the old foam roll stuff you can buy to sleep on) round them to give some protection, and wrapped the skis in bubble wrap.
the poles i've dropped into pipe lagging just in case.

all sound good, but then i tried to zip the bag shut and found the zip won't hold the bag shut. Too much stress on it. so i unpacked the skis, reduced the amount of camping mat and repacked it. with some extra straps round the bag managing to get the bag shut. SO even if the zip goes the strap should hold them

Am i being over protective to our new skis or just cautious?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My skis and poles go in the bag with no padding at all. I've not had any problems at all in ten trips so far. Bindings, poles and skis are pretty sturdy things AFAIK.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob and sharon, I had the same problem using a very good but old sli bag. I bet the pressure is around the bindings. Try "top & tailing the skis, nested nicely and worked for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Try "top & tailing the skis, nested nicely and worked for me.

have done as this was the only way i could get the bag shut.
thanks for advice
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A "sock" of bubble wrap over the tips, another over the tails, and a bit wrapped round the bindings is all you should need. Cheap, sensible and not over-the-top protection.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the ice perv wrote:
A "sock" of bubble wrap over the tips, another over the tails, and a bit wrapped round the bindings is all you should need. Cheap, sensible and not over-the-top protection.
Or a real sock!

I used to used some tatty old hiking socks over the end of each ski. As much to keep the skis from being in contact with each other than anything.

Now I don't bother with anything but a couple of velcro straps to keep them together.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickB, Me too with the socks. lined the bag with the whole family's sallopettes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickB, Have also used sock's over the tip and tail of the ski's. Then usually just wrap a towel around the bindings to provide a bit of extra protection.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with Kramer. If a pair of skis and bindings can't handle a bit of baggage handling they're not fit to go on a mountain.

In over 40 years skiing I've never had unpadded ski equipment damaged in a bag. It's a good idea to bind the tips and tails tight.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't worry too much about it. I was in the same position as you last year and just used a bit of bubble wrap round the tips and tails.
I wouldn't bother padding the poles unless they were really expensive. If they get damaged beyond usablilty then you can pick a cheap pair in the resort!

I would be careful about wrapping any of your ski wear around them. You run the risk of the edges cutting the garment up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hubby wraps skis in plastic bin bags before padding them out with the clothing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But..., i stand on my skis, jump up and down on them, ram in to the odd (unintentional) rock.

I assume if they can stand all that they can stand the travel too.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Robbie, I guess your right. Just maskes him feel better about putting the skis on the aeroplane and leaving them with those nasty baggage handlers. FWIW, I've seen skis without bags just taped together with parcel tape on the luggage belt.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very true Helen, and understandable also. Just that the thread made me smile.

Of course, i should confess that when i get home my skis go under my bed, and i get down and talk to them quite often, so they dont feel neglected in the off-season Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There was a monoski simply with a baggage label stuck on it going round the carousel last year! Maybe the owner was praying it would get damaged Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Actually (re. my post above) Paul Holland is quite right - it's the ski bag that gets ripped to shreds, not the equipment inside. So, padding any corners and tips on the equipment increases the life of the bag!
latest report
I use a ski tube -those hard plastic ones from S&R -rather than a soft bag - seem to protect the skis v well and has wheels on the bottom to make transport easier - only thing is with my skis in it weighs 9.5kg....not yet been picked up on it at checkin...
latest report
rob and sharon, If you really love them.. make sure they are completely dry before packing them (especially on the way home).. that way they won't rust on the way home... wink
snow report
ski, - or you will put zardoz not wax on the edges
snow conditions
For those who think padding is overkill: how much does a bit of bubblewrap cost? And how much are your skis worth? Why run the risk, it takes mere seconds and costs pence......
snow conditions
i just wrap a towel around the bindings all i've ever done never been damaged apart from when strapped to my feet Embarassed
snow report
I've evolved a system for shipping mine, separate from checked luggage:

4 empty plastic 2-liter soda bottles, with caps on tight. Skis together, base-to-base. Tape soda bottles either side the bindings on each ski. Bubble wrap tip & tail, slide into box.
snow conditions
As much as I would be disappointed if my skis were damaged in transit, they are covered by travel insurance. So if worst comes to worst, buy a new set at the resort and claim on your return.
snow report
I took my own skis for the very first time this week, and wrapped them in bubble wrap - I did wonder if I was being a bit over protective, but they are "my precious".

The whole carting skis around process worked pretty smoothly until we got back to the Airparks bus at Birmingham where the the driver said "Can't take them skis, mate, "Health & Safety"", rather generously he did allow me to take them on the bus after I'd done my impression of a small volcano about to erupt Twisted Evil Particularly galling since I'd had a few trips on skibuses in resort where about 70 people fit into a 40 seater bus all wearing ski boots and carrying many lethal implements/skis+poles...
snow report
I use foam kip mat and some clothes packed around that to save on luggage weight. It's not so much for the skis - but to stop the sharp edges cutting into my ski bag when they are chucked around the baggage trucks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy