Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for solo skier? Any opinions on the following....

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to pick resort for solo trip in mid-Jan. for middle-aged bloke firmly in the intermediate zone (blues and reds, not fussed with blacks). Looking for some decent skiing, 1/2 board or chalet accom and a few beers in the evening.

Had a look at various things coming up on the TO websites. Passo Tonale is the bargain basement, snow-sure option, but looks a little tame from the piste point of view (except pistes on glacier and those in the little resort next door whose name I have forgotten). Quite a bit on offer in AT at not too bad a price - Rauris looks too small. Niederau available thru Inghams, and I have a strange desire to go there for reasons I cannot fathom. Few other AT resorts coming up at not too bad a price - Bad Hofgastein, Kaprun, Zell Am See, for example. Chalet available in La Plagne 1800. Also, some places available in Soldeu (which I skied about 20 years ago).

Any opinions on any of the above gratefully accepted, especially from anyone who has visited on their jack jones.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to the hotel Rosanna in St Anton for a solo trip in mid-Jan, worth a look? You can do room share but the chances are you'll probably get a room to yourself.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Passo Tonale doesn't have that many pistes but there are more in Ponte di Legno which is the resort next door. Mostly blues and reds with a nice run all the way from the glacier. No idea about what it is like as a solo skiier though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll get in quickly with a plug for Mountainsun. I'm distinctly middle aged and I've been to the Melezes in Tignes on own and had a great time. They do charge a supplement for single occupancy but it isn't ruinous. And if you can't find skiing to suit you in the Espace Killy then I doubt if you will anywhere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mmgg1988, that's the place - Ponte di Legno. Couldn't remember the name
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bogusman, @dobby, Mountainsun's Chalet Mazot at Les Coches has a single room, and "more mature" hosts this season (JanetS and I). I am sure we can welcome lone skiers!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am going solo to Bansko in January. I got decent deal on caterd chalet single room (shares are available) including airport pick up. It's with Sri Gathering/Total Chalets.
I've done lots of solo ski trips. Chalets are usually good for meeting others but you should try snowheads bash. They are great fun. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715
Heres the link to this seasons events. You can have your own room or share to cut costs. I'm off to Tignes with 130 other snowheads on Saturday. Yayyyyyyy. It's my 8th bash. Always great time and great company.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Silver Ski usually have bargain basement prices outside of the main holiday weeks in big areas (3V and La Plagne). Not many, if any, single rooms but they might be more than happy to do a late deal for a single person rather than leaving a room completely empty.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tonale is ok for solo skiers and as long as you are happy to ski the same runs a lot then it's not boring. It's quite varied actually, open wide runs around the resort, tree lined in PdL and more extreme up on the glacier. The glacier is about half the size it was 10 years ago though! The run down from the top at 3000m to PdL at about 1300m has everything from red, black to easy blue. You can also have a day away on the area pass at Madonna which is highly recommended.

Solo rooms are nearly always available at the Mirramonti but if you can, try for one at the Cielo Blue. Really nice hotel, food and staff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soldeu has changed a lot since 20 years ago. See how all of Grandvalira is now linked.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have done Chalet Melezes with a friend and linked in with a snoworks off-piste course (better value than the Mark Warner option). Also the La Plagne chalet with Mountainsun Ltd with an ESF off-piste course.

Actually look at snoworks if you want to improve but find like minded skiers.
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/

You can get some single rooms at minimum extra with ClubMed. All inclusive and guiding/lessons at Chamonix and Aime La Plagne

Ski Club GB do courses/pleasure skiing weeks and do share/single rooms.
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/search.aspx?zone=SingleRooms#.WEPWNvmLTIU

Ski Total have single rooms in Tignes/Morzine/Courchevel and no doubt other places. Good choice of regional flights

Crystal have single rooms in France and Austria as does Inghams.

As the UK tour operators do not do ski leading anymore it is a gamble if you will find anyone to ski with in the chalet. Thus the lessons/guiding!

My issue if going alone is skiing by myself which I do not enjoy (particularly as I am into off-piste). Ski Club can help with this with their leading service in limited Austrian resorts (Zell am see, Mayrohofen, Kitzbuhel) or lessons in France. Would like to point out do not go off-piste with the SCGB leader. Do the Austrian resorts when i go with my non-skiing wife.

How about the snowhead bash end January. Great way to meet future ski buddies.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127137
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hawkesbaynz,
Quote:

Would like to point out do not go off-piste with the SCGB leader

You can go off piste quite legally with the SCGB in France as they now use qualified instructors (Evo 2 last season in Tignes for eg.).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="speachmaus"]I am going solo to Bansko in January. I got decent deal on caterd chalet single room (shares are available) including airport pick up. It's with Sri Gathering/Total Chalets.

Great choice , the owner's are good friends of mine , may see you in a bar or on the slopes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite so as the Evo 2 guys are instructors although I have never been with them. However I stated the SCGB leader and mentioned it before I got a tirade about the scgb leaders going off-piste. Am sure 'most' are safe and competent with requisite skills.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hawkesbaynz, Sorry, realised after posting that I could have de-railed the thread and triggered a hundred page re-run of the merits or otherwise of SCGB leading rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
@GeorgeVII, Laughing . Thanks for everyone's input. My mate has decided he can make a week away, so no longer going solo, but we'll have to leave it to 28 Jan. He's lucky cos I almost booked something Saturday before I spoke to him.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy