Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

compression leggings to increase slope time

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fitness and technique are going to be the biggest deciding factors.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear Compresssport or Skins shorts on 90% of my skiing days since many years. Whenever I get skiing without I definitely perceive a difference in my stamina. It may be a placebo effect but then it's a hell of one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whoever said that they are cold obviously didn't buy the slightly fleecy lined thermal version - they seem comfortable and comforting in any conditions- worth every penny.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used Compressports calf guards for skiing and running and have some of their cycling socks I use on the bike, started using them after I tore a calf muscle a few years ago and subjectively I'd say my legs ache a bit less after a days sport when I use them.
I also have just come by a very nice thin compression socks courtesy of the NHS as part of the treatment for my trashed right leg (broken ankle and ruptured tendon in my knee) apparently been over 40 puts me at risk of DVT while ever my leg is totally immobilised so will be wearing them on doctors orders for the next 4 to 6 months. Rather glad I have several sets of suitable compression I can rotate or things could get rather smelly!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Compression shorts are typically made of a tight Spandex material and are usually 15% (approx) smaller than standard athletic wear. An important factor to note is that these shorts fully compress the muscles, while at the same time not actually restricting our movement in a negative way. This fantastic benefit means that your performance is only positively affected.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowHeads @sofia989, snowHead

As has been said - benefits may be only psychological. However, I have a number of Sub Sports Cold Compression gear and it’s great value, provides compression and if all else fails, efficient at providing warmth and wicking properties.
When it comes to winter - i use them for everything.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am going on a 2200km motorbike trip soon, and I read somewhere that compression leggings can help prevent pain in the leg muscles.
I was planning on stopping every 2 hours, doing stretches, drinking water a plenty, changing leg position while riding etc... I do not normally suffer from leg pain, but then I only normally ride for 3.5 hours a day, so this is a step up.
For people who have used these products, can you see any benefit in me investing in a pair when I will essentially be sitting still in them for a couple of hours at a time?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, I'm not a motorcyclist, so don't know how much your leg muscles get used in normal riding. If they are little used then there might be similar benefits to using compression gear on a long flight, where the aim is to stop the blood pooling in/around the leg tissues, so avoiding a possible thrombosis.

If the muscles are continuously used to maintain balance, posture etc on the bike, then blood will kep circulating and I think there would be little direct benefit (as with skiing). There could be indirect benefits, say warmth.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear them for warmth and I felt my recovery time was quicker with them on.

You can buy 3/4 length one from Decathanthon for like 18 quid if I remember correctly. Worked fine for me in this years terrible weather in January Andorra. I would have to try a £130 pair but I cannot imagine a huge difference in comfort and performance to warrant the different in price
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ecureuil, Thanks for your input.
Unless you're Valentino Rossi, or some back street hero trying constantly go get you knee down, then the legs do a bit of tank gripping, pushing down on the pegs a bit, gear changing and braking, but that's about it, so it's probably more like the in-flight benefit.
Does 17% elastene sound about right, or should it be more?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use CEP socks. I reckon there is a difference/improvement in 'up time'. Although I found being fitter works better. Relatively pricey, but worth it..

https://www.cepsports.com/en/sport/wintersport/#downhill
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got three pairs of Skins, two short and one long, from years ago when they first came out and there were just "Skins" as opposed to 200/300/400 or whatever they are now.
I wear them every week, usually as a base layer (To avoid the sniggers) for running and they also make ideal (Short, so not too hot) ski base layers.

I swear by them but not sure what I'll do when they eventually go as, as I say, the new ones seem poorer quality (Everlasting lightbulb effect I suppose, if they were all like mine they wouldn't sell many more)
I also fell for the marketing (But now believe it was justified) & got some "Recovery skins" which are a bit thicker but you wear them after sport or even overnight - I'm convinced they help but only tend to wear them after longer stuff like maras or multi-day ultras, and I've not done any of that daft stuff for a while Smile

I suppose it depends on use - if you can manage an hour and want them to help you manage three then you may be disappointing, but if you want them to stop your legs falling off after after three hours hard on the fells or say a run-bike-run (I don't do water unless it's frozen) or whatever then you may benefit. I think I do.

Then again, they might just be giving my legs a comforting hug. Hugs are good too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tarquin,
Quote:

Then again, they might just be giving my legs a comforting hug. Hugs are good too.

Laughing (I swear by them too, for all exercise and recovery - inc overnight if legs are particularly hurty.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is no scientific research, not even logical explanation how it would work! They feel nice and that is the reason I use Adidas or UA for winter training /running climbing ski etc. Weight training stretching and nutrition works. It is hard work though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy