Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking ahead, South America.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I just got my first turn of the 16/17 season this weekend (fairly sad in southern Vermont, only one trail was worth going down, but it was nice to be on skis again). And yes, still have my big trip to zermatt and possibly are Sweden coming up.

But, it has been proposed that the family consider South America in the summer. I can actually use miles to get us to Buenos Aires or Santiago. I can probably only allocate 3-4 days for skiing, but it will be Summer, how awesome. Not a lot of good info I can find on how to approach this trip, but thinking bariloche (which would send us via Buenos Aires) and then cerro cathedral? Is that a good itinerary?

Also, what else can we do from bariloche if we have 3 -4 non ski days? Patagonia is such a bucket list place but seems a better Summer exploration area?

Anyway, thanks for any help. Snowheads have the best advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bariloche :- Hire bikes? Fish the lake? Go chocolate shopping (seriously!).
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/kenziertw/1/1303569474/tpod.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have only been skiing there once, in late September/early October, otherwise I visited it in summer. Spring skiing was great, but limited to higher altitude. Was told that August is great, the crowds are mostly gone and (if lucky with the weather) full resort could still be open.
Bariloche is very nice, you can indulge in shopping, good restaurants, great coffee and chocolate shops. There are also some other things in the town (ice skating...) and excursions in the surroundings would keep you entertained for the non skiing days. From Bariloche there is a half an hour transfer to villa Catedral. If renting equipment, you can get everything in Catedral.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Redwine,

We skied in Chile 10 years ago and it was incredible!

We went with Casatours, a US company, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. They were excellent! Very Happy

Well worth a Google search... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Redwine, I can't argue with what Chevagi said, it's accurate.

Bariloche would be a good family destination, as for non-ski days excursions eg. Volcano Tronador and others.
you can take the lifts up Cerro Otto and Cerro Campanario yourselves, visit the Llao Llao hotel if you want a fancy meal.

But you could take a bus through to Chile, from memory the destinations are Temuco, Puerto Montt. Then you could try skiing the volcanos and/or Nevados de Chillan, making your way back to Santiago for the journey home.

Oh yeah and there's plenty of redwine available, Malbec of course, Cab sav, a little Tempranillo and my favorite Carmenere (mainly Chile)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We skied at a handful of other places in the area -- about a half-day bus ride north and south of the city.

Although it is along the lake, Bariloche is still cold in the winter and you'll find snow in town. I would not count on biking and fishing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. so frequent flier miles have us going to santiago to start the trip rather than BA. I know several mountains are close to Santiago, which may be an option. Or else was thinking about heading south, towards the lakes area, which still puts us in striking distance to bariloche. Skiing is just a bonus for me, so its not the focus of the trip, but still hope to get 3 days or so out of the 2 weeks we will be there. My daughter fancies seeing wildlife, so I am looking for excursions that will allow us to indulge her.

Of course the wife wants to see the stars over the northern dessert, which takes us in the exact opposite direction. And do we get that close to Buenos Aires without taking a quick trip there?? Plus I want some Argentinean beef, oh my we are confused and complicated.

There is still massive amounts of time for me to figure things out. Just a bit excited, so please keep suggestions coming if you want to relive your memories or are bored. as always. thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I never heard of the northern dessert! is it tasty? Very Happy

There's not so much wildlife for your daugther to see, guanacos and condors are most common, but it would be good to look for a ranch (estancia) with horse riding. The town Tourist Info would probably help with this.

Travelling in South America is not like Europe and North America, there are less flights and buses, maybe only one a day, then you might miss an onward connection, so check the times carefully and add in extra time. Also, I have heard from other people that Aerolinas Argentinas sting Non-Argentine travelers on some flights. I never had that though.

Buenos Aires is meh IMO, kinda European, I guess you could see a Tango show.

The info is for anyone interested, me, I'm just killing time before my flight home.... Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Redwine, if you go into Santiago you can book a ride on a mini-bus through Ski Ahorro or Ski Total. They collect you from your hotel (best to stay in Las Condes) and take you to Tres Valles, which takes about 90 mins and bring you back down at 5pm. If you want to stay up at Tres Valles I can recommend a place called Powder Lodge in Farellones.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the Winter you can take the Bus/Lake Crusie /Ovenight Hotel Combo from Barilocher over to Puerto Monte in Chile . Quite a ride/journey !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Santiago de Chile looks like the child of a one night stand between Bucharest and Los Angeles. But I liked it, and if I went back today I'm sure I'd take much better photos and see a lot more. The food market in the centre is very cool.

It has high mountains and excellent ski resorts (Tres Valles) less than an hour away, and then there's Portillo just a bit further up north, which has its own magic.

We drove to Nevados de Chillan in about 5 hours. Cool to drive for that length of time with a mountain ridge towering on your left. But probably too far for 3-4 days of skiing.

I haven't been to Argentina so I can't compare, I'm sure it would be awesome.

Tres Valles at sunset (I think this is La Parva resort):

Santiago in the background of this pic (look closely):
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for all the advice. It seems like I have an embarrassing bounty to choose from.

@horizon, would u say it's worth going down to chillan from an immersive perspective. While it might be too. I have for just a few days of skiing, it puts us close to Patagonia (I think) which opens a lot more possibilities for the family.

Adding what @stanton, has suggested it sound appealing. Btw @stanton, u helped me in Austria immensely. Is there anywhere in the world u have not travelled to in search of powder?

Again. Thx for all the advice, hope I can reciprocate in kind at some point.

Going to Utah for a few days in a week, so first serious turns of the year are coming. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy