Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunshine Village snow reliability

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Maybe a silly question to some of you, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure considering I will be traveling far.

I am planning on heading to Canada for a month over December 2017, and was planning on working in a week ski trip in the Banff area (Sunshine Village). I know it snows earlier in Canada than in Europe, but in general how are the snow conditions and the snow reliability at Sunshine Village during mid - late December?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same as the length of a piece of string?

Sunshine always used to get away with having no snow cannon because they always had enough snow (and they had enough north facing terrain). I'm not sure if they are holding that now.

It's as reliable as anywhere else, which doesn't tell you much. This season should be generally good, although it all depends how the storms move through there. You're well placed to get to many other places anyway, so I'd not worry about it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig, - bang on Toofy Grin

I know they never used snow cannon, have you heard they do now ? Lot of infrastructure to put in place if they do.

They have been having some good early snow around Banff area generally, even though Lake Louise WC skiing has been cancelled due to conditions Sad Plenty higher up but lower slopes the base isn't enough to move all the equipment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been in January twice and crap conditions both times. One time there was more snow in Heathrow that there was in Banff, but obviously that isn't usually the case. I would love to go back in a better season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can't get to Sunshine, get to Louise with cannon?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
December is still early season conditions at Sunshine. However, that can be good snow, but the cover may be a little thin with the occasional rock. Typically Goat's Eye will not be open and the ski out is unlikely to be open..

This year is really good early season (opening day earliest for 29 years or something) and I have had a few good days there already. This is despite the fact that its pretty bad everywhere else in the Bow Valley.

Sunshine has one or two portable cannons; they use them on the ski out and there was one last weekend on Wawa.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sunshine certainly used to boast 100% real snow but as stated they have a couple of cannons which are used early season round the village and ski out. Everyone I've been there in winter and spring there's no sign of snowmakng, and plenty of snow. I believe it's to do with being in a national park, they aren't allowed major snow making installations, or to take water from the mountain or something like that.

Either way I'd have thought Sunshine would be a fairly safe bet to get some skiing in December. The resort usually opens mid November and most years there seems to be plenty open by Dec
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TommyJ, Not too sure about the fact it being in a National Park - Mt. Norquay has plenty of snow cannon and its in the park too. Sunshine does sit on the continental divide though creating some great snow at times.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musher:-Banff isn't a ski resort anyway, so lack of snow there is of no consequence. Really don't understand why UK ski TO's continue to sell it as such. It's a good 25 mins from Sunshine and 45-50 from Lake Louise. It's just a dormitory town and actually gets way more visitors in summer than winter. Having said that Sunshine is usually reliable and good fun to ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher:-Banff isn't a ski resort anyway, so lack of snow there is of no consequence. Really don't understand why UK ski TO's continue to sell it as such. It's a good 25 mins from Sunshine and 45-50 from Lake Louise. It's just a dormitory town and actually gets way more visitors in summer than winter. Having said that Sunshine is usually reliable and good fun to ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the feedback everyone Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Man Of Lech,
What I mean was there was little snow in the satellite resorts of LL, MN & SV. The only people who care about snow in Banff are langlaufers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TommyJ,

Lake Louise also make a lot of snow and is in the National Park. I know they do have procedures to go through in terms of the additives.

I suspect at Sunshine its that the driver isn't really there; they have a very effective harvesting program and they don't have easy access to a large water supply
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy