Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Galibier Thabor Valmeinier (OR) Morzine Ski Area ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Peeps,

So me & the missus have been looking were we can for our next snowboarding holiday on 07th Jan for a week.

Weve narrowed it down to 2 ski areas.
The first is staying in Valminier 1800 ...... OR staying in Morzine.

Now ive been doing a bit of research and yes Morzine is a traditional alpine town and a lot lot bigger than Val and the Porta Du Soleil ski area is also a lot bigger, , but then Val seems to be cheaper from the deals ive found, so its a toss up between staying in these 2 towns as they both look the ideal choice for us.

Were 2 snowborders and im top end intermediate and my g.f is around middle to top end of beginner stage.
Love crusing blues (specially with tree's) and love red runs. Not arsed about black runs, so with that in mind from looking at the piste maps of
Val, it looks more favourable.... BUT, that said.... He portes di soleil still looks an ideal choice.

Has anybody been / stayed in Val 1800 ?
Is there plenty to keep you going of a night in terms of bars?
Not arsed about anything raving mad.... although i do love the follie douch's which i've been to in Val D'isere and Val Thorens!! Razz
What are the runs like?

Same question for Morzine!

To put it into perspective, when we stayed in Les Arcs 1600 and La Plagne of around the same altitudes .... aside from 1 bar and 2 shops, we found ourselves a bit bored of a
Night and wasnt really making the effort going out of a night!

Would just like to hear your thoughts of your own
Experiences / suggestions?

Cheers.

Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Si_Dean, we spent 4 days skiing in Valmeinier a few years back and really enjoyed it. Lots of cruisey blues, nothing too difficult. Not a lot of tree skiing, you tend to be above the tree line. The village is very quiet, there are a few bars but nothing too lively. It's a purpose built place and not the best to look at.

Valloire is the other village connected to the ski area. This is a fair amount bigger, more lively and tends to have a bit more going on.

Never been to Morzine so can't really compare it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Si_Dean, I've been to both and don't think either would disappoint given decent snow.
But in all honesty at that time of the year, particularly with just the two of you I would stick to my standard suggestion and wait and see where the snow is good. Its quite often very variable from area to area early season and there is rarely any problem with booking late.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Si_Dean, if you want nice tree skiing, fun apres and good food on piste and decent bars and restaurants in the evening.............you're looking in the wrong country...........you need to go to Austria my friend. Try Lech, St Anton, Saalbach Hinterglemm or Ischgl. You won't be disappointed with any of these destinations.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

To put it into perspective, when we stayed in Les Arcs 1600 and La Plagne of around the same altitudes .... aside from 1 bar and 2 shops, we found ourselves a bit bored of a
Night and wasnt really making the effort going out of a night!

This applies, in my experience, to most French and Swiss ski resorts - which is why British-run catered chalets do so well in those countries (every evening bar one being an in-house dinner party). Austria is a very different kettle of fish and should make it easier for you to tick your apres-ski box.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy