Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booked to Bad Hofgastein, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
We usually ski in the Skiwelt, Austria, but have just booked for mid january with a well known TO to Bad Hofgastein for a change.
It is on the Amade ski area and I wonder how easy it is to get to other ski resorts on the Amade lift pass? Are ski busses running to other resorts or is it only accessible with a car or taxi? I think TO offer a ski away day but I am not sure to which resort? How is it different to the Ski Welt?
Also where is it best to hire the skis? We have our own boots and wondered if it is better to book independent or with TO? We only booked accommodation so far and we can always add on the xtras later.
Any advise would be appreciated. Little Angel Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@moonshine, the Gasteinertal is a separate valley, and the transport links are limited out of it. You can get the Postbus, but the closest area in the Ski Amade is accessed from Alpendorf, and that's a 1-hour bus trip away with 2-3 changes, and as far as I can see the first bus out is after 0900. Getting back is even worse, at 1:50 duration.

With a car, it is 30km on good roads, and should take you ~25 minutes. From Alpendorf, you can access all of the Wagrain/Flachau main areas, which is easily enough to keep you busy for a day but don't get stuck on the wrong side of the G-Link peak to peak gondola. If you are prepared to drive for up to an hour each way, you could make it to Flachauwinkl and Zauchensee, both well worth a visit.

The Ski Amade areas are varied, but they're broadly similar to the Ski Welt in that there are a lot of tree lined runs, the mountains are pretty without being huge (not a lot of skiing above 2000m), and the towns are mainly nice and primarily set up for skiing. Bad Hofgastein is the exception, as it was a spa town long before skiing became popular, and has a lot of high-end hotels with wellness attached, plus a large public spa, but in winter it is definitely a ski destination, just more for those who prefer their comforts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As stated above buses are limited to the valley really. With Dorfgastein, Graukogel and Sportgastein on the ski bus there is a bit of travelling to do and a slight change in piste variety. Unless you have a car I don't think other Ski Amade areas are worthwhile.

For ski hire we used Irausek which is just about nextdoor to the Schlossalm valley lift station and has a ski depot, so no traipsing back into town in your ski boots (ten minutes walk to the 'centre'). It's a big spread out town, but flattish. The skiing has some areas a fair bit higher than the Ski Welt and a different feel to it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy