Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, having ordered my discounted Wintercard, it looks like it'll be Saas Fee for wife and I this winter (had got my heart set on Cortina, but couldn't pass up the Wintercard offer). Likely to book Hotel Artemis, which seems a reasonably priced 3* for our week in March. Any thoughts on hotel choice would be welcome. Recommendations/tips for eating out, ski hire and lessons for the missus (it'll be only her second week on snow) would be appreciated too. Private lessons look prohibitively expensive, so likely to stick her in ski-school for the mornings Mon-Fri and ski together in the afternoons.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The key to accommodation in Saas Fee is distance from the slopes - the village is big and strung out over a large area. Glancing at the map, it appears the Artemis is a fair old walk to the lifts and slopes. I'm familiar with the location of the Hotel La Collina which is close by. If staying in the far end of the village, make sure you use one of the ski deposits for your boots and skis near the slopes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good point. The hotel provides lockers at the Alpin Express and buses you to/from the lifts, so hopefully shouldn't be such an issue.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@suggul, There are free regular buses circulating through the village, so distance from the lifts isn't the same issue that it used to be. Since your Good Lady is a early beginner, her lessons will almost certainly be based on the Village lifts, so having the skis at the Alpin Express might not be the best option.

There are a number of ski schools in Saas-Fee, the main Village ski school and smaller ones by Skizenit, Eskimo and Optimum (maybe others as well). The offices are all grouped near the Church 'Square', so you can check on the prices/options.

Ski hire should be pretty uniform with high quality equipment. Cesar Sport have multiple locations which makes hiring/returning gear easy. Glacier Sport is also a good option, and it is closest to the main beginner lifts.

In terms of eating in the Village, there is plenty of choice, but it is always worth booking on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night, as it can be very busy with weekend visitors.

In terms of on mountain restaurants, the Morenia is the easiest to get to via the Alpin Express, and seems to function well even when busy. If you are tempted by the Spielboden restaurant check the prices as it can be very expensive. If the weather is good try and get in a visit to the revolving restaurant as the views are spectacular (try and get there before 12:00 as it can be busy).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can recommend Eskimos ski school, the Swiss school was hit and miss for us - some enormous group sizes. Haven't tried Optimum so can't comment.

If you've already booked then fine but even with the buses we've definitely preferred more central or towards the lift end of town locations. There's a great restaurant really far out the end of town, probably down past the hotel Artemis, can't remember it's name but it was great and very old Swiss rustic looking though not cheap - definitely had to book for that one. Lots of nice restaurants there though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@suggul, Here's some info I posted up a while ago that you might find useful.

Quote:

I have a great tip for the funicular up to the Glacier, walk up the steps at the bottom to get in the first compartment, as you will find this much easier than climbing up the steps at 3600 metres. They do, however, provide some nice benches once you have reached the top for a rest.

It's a great resort and it's car free apart from electric taxis but it's not a vast resort and I walked everywhere. Don't miss the Gletschergrotte restaurant just off the blue run back into the resort. It's reached along a little track off the piste in the wood but it's well signposted. You need a little speed to get up the first uphill part of the track and then there is a downhill bit followed by a last uphill to the restaurant. If you get your speed right you can virtually get to the restaurant without walking. Well worth the effort for the friendly service/good food. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hopefully the service and food are still good but because it's not visible from the piste, it seemed to be less busy than some of the other restaurants. I tended to call in there on the way back to the village at the end of the day for a quick drink.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses guys. We'll give the Swiss Ski School a miss then. Be interested to hear any experiences of Optimum as similar price to Eskimo and also limit classes to 6. Fact that they're British is appealing - I've suffered from lessons where I can barely understand the instructor.

Will definitely check out the revolving restaurant and Gletscher Grotte. @Rowlski, was the Walliserkanne the restaurant you were thinking of? Any other recommendations in the village much appreciated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@suggul, Optimum are great. All native English speaking teachers and, as you say, maximum of 6 in a class. They are enthusiastic and definitely emphasise the fun in their lessons. Definitely worth a try.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy