Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med @ Alpe d'huez?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone stayed here? We are taking our four teenagers out for a week at half term (Feb 11th) and have booked the full 'club med package'. I've never stayed with club med before nor visited Alpe d'huez. From the guides and comments on this forum Alpe d'huez sounds like a great resort. Two of our kids snowboard, the rest of us are 'middlin intermediate' skiers so I'm looking forward to trying some of the varied runs available.

One specifc query - since we are on the 'all inclusive' package, I am not expecting to have to pay for drinks, particularly alchoholic ones. But what about the 16 and 17 year olds? does anyone know if they will be served with beers, or will Mrs Ax and I need to do the 'buying'? (all the kids enjoy the odd glass, in a teenage, 'two pints and their legless' kind of way) Very Happy

any info/experience/comments appreciated...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've stayed in Club Med in the summer (in Vittel). The accomodation was good and the food excellent (although all buffets, which is a bit uncivilised for dinner), and the activity facilities and creche were very good (the kids, then aged about 2, I think, were very well catered for), but it was one of the weirdest hols I've had. It's an upmarket Butlins. We dined at large tables with others (which we really don't like), under rather bright lights. There were bizarre 'entertainments' put on after dinner by the Redcoats (or 'gentils organisateurs' as they are known, to distinguish them from the guests or 'gentils membres'). Our fellow guests were mainly French, with some other Euros thrown in, a few Brits, and the atmos was pleasant and civilised, but weird.

I imagine that each resort is different, but I believe that there is a Club Med philosophy which extends to all its resorts and which is definitely not for everyone. We enjoyed the hol but it was all a bit too communal for us and we shall not repeat the experience. It was all slightly precious, and anyone not of a bourgeois disposition (fortunately we are) would have felt very out of place. It's the sort of thing which those who like it do year after year, wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

To answer your specific question, we had wine (perfectly decent but not special), beer and soft drinks thrown in with meals (lunch and dinner). I think you could buy better wine, but we didn't. Other drinkies, including pre- and post dinner, had to be paid for (with vouchers or tokens which we bought in advance in bulk, God knows why), and were quite pricey IIRC. Since it was all self service at meals, we helped ourselves to beers from a tap and to wine by the carafe from a bulk container, so your kids will probably be able to enjoy a glass or two (unless that would infringe rules about drinking age, I suppose, which I doubt).

If you like the philosophy, you'll have a great hol.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, Thanks for that, sounds like it might be an 'interesting experience' ! I guess, from their ages, keeping your kids topped up with booze wasn't a significant problem? Very Happy

We've done a couple of Eurocamps, and one 'Yelloh Village' holiday in the past, and the idea of French 'animations' (which is what I think they call their entertainments) is , as you say somewhat weird! Alright for a laugh though, if you've had plenty of wine/beer beforehand!

Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, French law states they can't buy alcohol in a bar under 16 years of age (They can buy in a supermarket from age 14!). Nothing says they can't be given it by their parents though, as far as I know. I was told this by my 17 yr old (part of his a-level course!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The two older ones are 16 and 17 so they should be OK. (but the 13 and 14 year olds are going to whinge like XXXXX!) Very Happy

Ahh the 'joys' of parenthood Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan, you can still let them have some though, as long as you are with them. It's only buying they can't do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont,
understood - it's the 'being with them' bit that I was hoping to avoid Very Happy 'Now children, you go and have a lovely time with the nice french entertainments while mum and I, er, polish our ski's for an hour or so ' wink wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our 11 yr old had his mouth spray filled with Genepi in a restaurant above St Martin de Belleville, truly hilarious.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan, We went into the Club Med complex at Alpe D'Huez to have a look one evening, I think you could say it was fairly lively, perhaps some earplugs might be a good investment!
It will be busy then, If you want to get to the top on the Gondola first thing, go to the far side of the Ski School meeting points & take the long green drag across towards it as soon as it opens, it's normally open before the other lifts. Have fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
mouth spray

?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
provenjohn, Thanks for that - good tip re the lifts. Only problem is getting 4 teens to surface before the crack of noon! (still Maybe Mrs Ax and I can get some skiing in while they are still snoring!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, Imagine a Windowlene or similar type of bottle with a trigger spray. Adjust spay to jet mode and fill mouths of diners from a distance of half a metre. Great laugh had by all.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, Very Happy but you can leave them with the older ones, as they are old enough to buy the alcohol. They'll still be allowed in the lounge area anyway. Free wine and beer is only served during the meals anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, If it's not to rude Embarassed how much did you pay . I'm looking to get away again with the kids ( 5,7 ) . We went to ADH in January for there first skiing jolly and they loved it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Curtains, A tad over £7k, and that's self-drive!. OK there are 6 of us, and that is all-inclusive so nothing but petrol to pay for but it still seems pretty steep to me! Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, do you warn the lucky diners or just wait 'til they open to shove a forkful in and fill them full of Genepi?
snow report
AxsMan, I have done Club Med in Val D'Isere a couple of times, as well as in St.Moritz and Pontresina. Also done Club Med in Mauritius a couple of times. First thing to note is that the winter Clubs are different from the summer clubs in that you don't get as much of the animation crap going on. The second thing to note is that if you don't want to take part in any of the animation stuff then nobody is going to force you or think the worse of you for it. There are always quiet corners that you can withdraw to if you want.

I personally like the thing about meeting all sorts of different people with lots of different nationalities, and I also prefer buffet style food to a la carte, so it suits me and my wife fine. The ski instruction in Val was done by ESF, at least for the higher groups , and I can only say that we had absolutely nothing to complain about there. One time we had a teacher/guide who used to train the spanish women's national team. Excellent guy!
All in all I have always had a good time, even though I'm not in fact the kind of guy who goes in for party games and animation. The only downside about Val was the quality of the rooms. They tend to be somewhat minimal! But then again, I never spent much time in the room so it didn't bother me too much
snow report
We did a last minute = cheap Club Med to Greece, near Marathon, a couple of years ago. It was also pretty much as richmond, described it. Very good food and sport facilities, not many Brits around ( good point ), well organised but Bizarre 'entertainment'.

We would do it again but I would not use them in the Winter as it seems far to closeted for my liking. We saw some of the antics taking place outside the Club Med at Val Claret on Christmas Day this year as we passed by on the chair lift. There was a procession of baloon clad ( and little else ), I guess GO's, parading around what looked like a monster outdoor buffet - it must have been -20C outside as well.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, do you warn the lucky diners or just wait 'til they open to shove a forkful in and fill them full of Genepi?
this wasa done by the waiter, although he did ask permission first.
snow conditions
we took kids (10y & 8y) to club med in les 2 alpes a couple of years ago. Best and most relaxing ski holiday we've had! Food plentiful and good - plenty choice. Plenty drink at mealtimes - wine on table (unlimited) and beer on draught just like soft drinks to help yourselves. Ski lessons for all of us included in price (kids intermed - us advanced). Easy to ski back for lunch - no need to queue for extortionately priced mountain restaurants, nor for toilets after! Very French. We enjoyed their company and were happy to try out our French! Only a handful of other English voices. Can't comment on eve entertainment as too knackered too stay up! However it is mainly in French, as you might expect. All round great holiday. PS we booked in euros on french website, much cheaper than GBP on British website, could just have been good £ to euro.
ski holidays
dingy, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
latest report
dingy,

Welcome to Snowheads, and thanks for the info!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy