Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc Advice Please?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, 4 of us are off to Champoluc tomorrow for a quick weekend trip and i was hoping for some general advice on the place.

We are staying at the hotel Relais Des Glaciers which looks nice on the website. Any recommendations on good runs/places to eat on the slopes etc.

One of our party has only skiied for a couple of weeks so i was wondering what are the links with Gressoney like?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Roger C, I can't help but would be interested in report on your trip please when you get back! Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no worries will try and post here on mon or tue!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Links to Gressoney are good, but probably better to start from the Frachey chair (instead of main Gondola) if you want to get their quickly and carry on to Alagna with a fair amount of time to explore.

My views on good runs are:

- The reds from the top of Col Sarezzo all the way down to Champoluc are fun and give you a good long run with some varied gradeient and scenery
- The red from Col Sarezzo (C6) is great fun starting quite steep and windy through a Couloire before opening up into a fast blast ...
- The black (V3?) from Passo Selati down towards Alagna (Piannalungo) is another great piste - a little steepr but remote - no other pistes or lifts around.
- Best mountain eatery is the 'Tana del Luppo' (or something like that) - head right down the far piste next to the base of the final chair up to Col Sarezzo and then up the slope ... you may have to walk up, but on a sunny day the view is good, the building old and atmospheric and the food good.

All the above IMHO ... enjoy ...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
agavin, thanks v much for that

thinking of my friend, any comments on the easiest way down to Gressoney?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C, Links down to Gressoney are relatively easy. The top section down to mid-mountain is a gentle blue. Thereafter, you have a choice of a Black or a Track red. I didn't try the track, so cannot comment. The last little bit down has 1 or 2 steeper bits - I think they use it for racing, but as long as it isn't icy I think it will be OK - it is at least wide.

Coming back down to Gressoney from the other side of the valley (Alagana link side) is a little more difficult as you probably have the steepest black in the areas if skiing down to where you can link back at the cable car - it also has quite a narrow track after the steep bit which may freak an early skier out a bit although it is not steep. You can come down further down the valley to ??? (age!), but would then need a bus to get back up the cable car to head back to Champoluc. I would recommend that he rather ride the Gondola down from mid-mountain when heading back to Champoluc if nervous.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agavin, thanks very much i'll be printing off your adice and taking it with me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roger C, additional thought - have you seen the interactive Piste map at http://external.skiinfo.com/skimap/mm/monterosa/?M=234|215|166|160&P=33 ?

You can zoom in on the different valleys by selecting them from the drop-down. The link between Champoluc and Gressoney is at Stafal. The black with the steep and narrow bits back to Stafal on the East side of the valley is the G6 one. I say it was harder as the steep top bit is North facing and was very icy last time I skied it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
agavin, have you been recently? As far as I was aware there hadn't been any major snowfalls since Xmas and the Col was closed. Ergo, no Gressoney link.

RogerCIf you can't get over, be aware Champoluc isn't a great gastro area for on mountain eating - but, that said, the food, albeit basic, is good and very good value for money.

We like ...

the Bar de Belvedere, oddly enough on the Belvedere piste as you get off the 2 man chair. They seem to have elevated sausage and polenta to new creamy heights. Even I, a polenta sceptic, was impressed.

Also the little bar almost at the bottom of the Ostaffa #1 just at the top of the schuss. It's on the right hand side, be careful or you'll miss it.

Also, although I don't know if they're running it yet but the hotel towards the bottom of the Belvedere has done a great barbequed mixed grill the last few years. Didn't see it in operation overthe festive season.

If the Gressoney links are open that'll be a good thing. THe black is Italian in grade, i.e. not really that hard, but I understand conditions are pretty hard packed. The red track might be a better bet if it's open.

In Champoluc itself, best bars are the bar of the Castor hotel and Pachamama (although we felt a little old on last visit there). If you have a choice and want good kit, hire your skis from Ivan at Ski Test Centre.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, no - haven't been there this year - and am in fact glad having just seen the lack of snow - although hopefully they will catch some of what is blowing across that region at the moment. Was thinking of going there for a long weekender this weekend, but am quite glad I am off to Cal Cenis instead. SO Roger C, please take all my comments about links as in the context of conditions when I was there and assuming they are open at all.

Agree the mountain restaurants are not the greatest. Never tried the Belvedere hut, but the only one I was not dissapointed by was the 'Tana del Luppo'. There is an old vaulted hall to the left as you come in, which when the owner(?) saw me admiring, came across to tell me all about how old it was etc. - it was very old and pretty impressive given its age.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
agavin, We've never eaten properly at the Tana del Luppo - but know the owner well. He was quite the racer in his day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, agavin, I'm hoping that the links to Gressoney will be open tomorrow following the snow that is falling and should continue to do so for the next day.

What's the road like up to the resort? Having visions of trying to fit chains at 11pm tonight in the freezing cold!

8hrs until we fly YIPEEEE
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
morning flights into milan cancelled! getting worried about ours although still ok at the mo.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger C, The road to Verres is motorway so will more than likely be cleared and open. The first little bit up from Verres climbs quite steeply and has a few tight bends, but nothing too bad. Not sure if you would be able to stopm easily once passed Verres to put chains on though? I'm also getting worried as 'supposedly' flying to Turin tomorrow am.

On the plus side, the Champoluc/Gressoney webcams are showing plenty of snow in the trees indicating a fair bit of snow has fallen there. Enjoy and good luck Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crying or Very sad not going anymore as flight is cancelled!

what are the details of your turin flight? is it v.early? could be an option 4 us....
latest report
Roger C, Shocked , sorry to hear, hope you find an alternative

Coincidentally, yesterday I had my ryanair flights to turin for early March cancelled, but of course have had time to book an alternative.
ski holidays
slikedges, what date are those cancelled flights??
ski holidays
now booked on exaclty same flights for next weekend so anyone out there this coming week PLEASE leave us some fresh snow.....
latest report
Roger C, our flight leaves Stansted at 7am ... in theory rolling eyes

At them moment, the weather charts I am looking at seem to indicate that this weather may continue a little bit into next week, so you may get even lucker next weekend with even more snow Smile
snow report
Helen Beaumont, 0640 Thu 9th March. Why Puzzled
snow conditions
Roger C, You should find that it's so quiet out there that the snow should be fine.

Two things to be aware of:

1. Ensure you get snow chains at the airport. Italian hire car companies are not very good at this and it is illegal to go on the motorways (roads?) in Aoste without them.

2. Italian hire cars arrive without winterized diesel. Friends have been caught out several times. Options: buy diesel additive, generally easily found, or drive until the car shows 20% fuel used and top up with 5-6L of PETROL. That does the trick.

You really don't want to find yourself on the first morning waking up to a lovely fall of snow and discovering your car won't start...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy