Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekend - Bulgaria or other suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
I'm able to take a long weekend in Jan so im looking for a cheap weekend to take the better half away for her first trip. I was looking into Bulgaria, Ive never been there but provides a cheap option to take someone to the mountains for their first trip.

Im struggling to find a company offering long weekend holidays, ideally i like to find a company offering a package deal to save the hassle.

Does any one have any recommendations for companies, locations or alternatives?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bulgaria wont work with the long transfer and fewer flights although Ryanair might be there now.

I cant recommend Poland enough for beginner skiing , plenty of apre ski activities and great restaurants.
Costs are minimal and has that chocolate box village look esp if it snows

http://www.sunshineworldpoland.com/html/short_break_3_night_packages.php
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh I didn't realise the transfer time was so great.

I've never been just heard good things
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I quite liked Bulgaria.
We flew into Plodiv but it's a good couple of hours to resort which isn't ideal for a long weekend plus you might not get an early flight so lose a day.
Look at bankso blog, they will have better answers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Transfer to Borovets is around 1 hour from Sofia. There's a Facebook group run by Bobby and Kaz of Bobbys Bar. They're very helpful with accommodation queries.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe a flight into Bergamo near Milan.

We have just got very cheap flights for mid Jan. A few ski resorts within 90 mins that are not too expensive. You might have to organise your own accommodation but there are plenty of places that will help with transfers. Not as cheap as Bulgaria, but not as expensive as the bigger resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hawkwind wrote:
Bulgaria wont work with the long transfer and fewer flights although Ryanair might be there now.

I cant recommend Poland enough for beginner skiing , plenty of apre ski activities and great restaurants.
Costs are minimal and has that chocolate box village look esp if it snows

http://www.sunshineworldpoland.com/html/short_break_3_night_packages.php

Have you used and are recommending this company? Interested to hear if you have some experience using them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TBH, for Poland its very easy to do a DIY package and arguably better...most of the ski lifts are operated by different operators and the 'ski pass' they quote is not going to be valid for the majority of lifts.

We go every year and I'd say its great for beginners, fine for intermediates that are happy with a good mix of skiing and partying, but not great for anyone who loves miles and miles of Alpine pistes.

The main party town is Zakopane, but the best resort by miles is Bialka Tatzranska...the downside is that there's not loads to do there, so its a trade off between better skiing or better bars (that said the cab ride is only 10 mins, 20 if the traffic is shocking which happens occasionally).

There are a few thermal bath/spa places around as well, one adjoining the main hotel in Bialka and the rest are away from the pistes.

Tatry Ski operate a combined lift pass for a few places in Poland and Slovakia, but you'd need a car to get around between them all: http://tatryski.pl/ and I think only 1 of the lifts covered is technically in Zakopane itself (and is a very short beginner run).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh one other thing to add, from Stansted you can get a Friday night or early Saturday morning flight and the transfer time is generally sub 90 mins (will be less if there is no traffic, which is unlikely and more if its a busy time, e.g. half term).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster,
No never used them , just as an example of a total costing.
I have used this site and all the information is here http://discoverzakopane.com/

as @vjmehra, has said.

its very easy to do a DIY and i prefer going to Bialka Tatzranska as well , the spa there is second to none.
I go every year , i love the place Smile
If you need any more specific advice im happy to help.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, sorry to briefly hijack the thread, but hawkwind by chance you don't know how to get in touch with whoever runs those little wooden log cabin/holiday homes right behind Bania or to the side of Kotelnica do you?

We were hoping to rent one as close to the piste as possible, but struggling to get details, one is on Booking.com, but seems to be all booked up!

If you have any info please drop me a PM!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vjmehra,
They should be on the discover zakopane site.
Ill have a better look tomorrow, we exchanged a few emails with the owner but it was too expensive.

I noticed the hotel Bania is only £50 a night on that sunshine holidays link!

We usually stay in one of the B&B, love the breakfasts etc, real genuine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They should be....

But they don't seem to be sadly Sad

Actually, although Bania is normally super expensive (for Poland), I was looking and they do have some cheaper rooms this year it seems.

That said, we were looking for an apartment style (or holiday home) as we wanted a separate room for our toddler!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sofia is well connected with late night flights, wizzair from doncaster and Luton are worth a look. Ryanair also fly from glasgow, stansted and liverpool now... re transfer time 2.5 ( max) hours to Bansko is more than manageable. Especially when linked in with late flights to allow for full days skiing. Transfers can be had on the shuttle for €20 each way pp. Pm if you need any more info
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@vjmehra,
Cant find the email from them , they are on the website but only link the booking.com contact now.
I know they are really expensive though!

http://www.booking.com/hotel/pl/w-biaace-wiocha.en-gb.html

if you get in touch with Barbara from DiscoverZakopane she might be able to help http://bialkatatrzanska-info.com/accommodation.html

We stayed in an apartment last year in Pod Lipa 2 , was perfect although you needed to get bus or walk to slopes but the apartment was top class with views of the slopes and a massive kitchen/dining area. One bedroom but the sofa bed in living room has a curtain to block it off from the rest of the apartment. Was around £30 a night at half term!

Duda was another apartment we stayed in but she only takes sat-sat for the apartment.

Most of the B&B have an apartment in them but with the language barrier i find it hard to book them without using booking.com and paying the extra premium.

Also worth looking around the Zawrat hotel AFAIK that ski area is all linked now
ski holidays
Ah yeah, Wiocha is fully booked it seems...we don't really want to get the bus, so will stick with a hotel or explore a B&B, my wife is Polish, so language isn't a problem...I'll let you know how we get on (out of curiosity though, with no Polish link what brought you to Bialka)?
snow report
@jason123, if you are happy to widen your search area then packages can be done through https://www.skiweekends.com/ or http://mountainsunltd.com/short-ski-breaks/
latest report
@vjmehra,
Ah your flying then , we can speak a little polish but not enough to book an apartment over the phone Smile
I cant recommend the B and B enough , its not usually what id opt for preferring a hotel but they are so cosy and the breakfasts so good , dont rule it out. Speaking the language you should get a great deal too Smile

We learned to ski in Zakopane Smile we fell in love with Poland , the Polish are very similar to the Irish.
I prefer Bialka as its quieter and more authentic , all the b and b are owned by locals who built on their own land.

Some great restaurants , the litorwy staw? and there is the steam punk one at the roundabout.

We arent sure if we will make it this year Sad but ill try sneak a long weekend in!
snow conditions
If you do go and are a fan of Steak you need to go to Stek (http://www.stekzakopane.pl/), the steak is absolutely amazing, I'd go as far to say that it is even better than the likes of Hawkesmoor, Gaucho, Goodmans etc. here in London!
ski holidays
@jason123, Whizz Air fly to Poprad from Luton on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. From Poprad it's a short transfer to the Tatra mountain resorts in Slovakia. I haven't skied there, but went winter walking there a few years back and really liked the area. By short transfer I mean short - Stary Smokovec is 11(!) minutes according to Google Maps, or 23 mins to Strebske Pleso (where I stayed). Flights coming in at under £50 return. Accommodation and restaurants were very good value and the area is very friendly and pretty.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/feb/22/skiing-tatra-mountains-slovakia-budget-ski-breaks
ski holidays
Hi , OP .
easyjet, wiz air and ryan air all provide c heap flights now
Transfer to Borovets is approx. hour, Bansko now new motorway is finished can be done in 2 hours .
Loads of choice for both resorts
latest report
OP PM sent to you
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy