Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas Holidays not Selling?

Poster: A snowHead
All,

Since booking our Xmas trip I can't help myself but keep checking how many other rooms have sold and so far only 1 other room has gone. I have checked other chalets in the resort (Les Arc) and they are the same. Clearly people are either booking very last minute of the Xmas Eve / NYE flights are putting people off.

Price today for a catered chalet with Crystal Ski £421............................
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe people are wary of the generally poor Christmas conditions seen in the past few years?
I've just booked the week before Christmas in Val d'Isere so hoping this year isn't the case Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ouster, I get that people are cautious of previous years conditions but surely its wroth the gamble at the prices they are selling them at now? Just to get food cooked for you and the wine in the evenings!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chrisrawles, I think books for the holiday weeks are generally down, probably a combination of 2 or 3 years of poor early snow, the travel days for Christmas and New Yer not being great, and most schools returning before the end f the NY week. First time in a long time that my apartment in Les Arcs hasn't been booked for New Year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Maybe people are wary of the generally poor Christmas conditions seen in the past few years?

we've had very little interest for xmas so far and it was the same last year. I think it is understandable given the poor conditions. If we get some snow in December I'm optimistic we'll get some inquiries given even the recent thaw hasn't removed the base on piste
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisrawles wrote:
All,

Since booking our Xmas trip I can't help myself but keep checking how many other rooms have sold and so far only 1 other room has gone. I have checked other chalets in the resort (Les Arc) and they are the same. Clearly people are either booking very last minute of the Xmas Eve / NYE flights are putting people off.

Price today for a catered chalet with Crystal Ski £421............................

What departure date is that?

If it's before the 22nd, then most kids will still be at school.

I'm struggling to find anything cheap departing on the 22nd/23rd/24th. Well at least from Gatwick anyway.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A quick look at the Bookings on http://alpes-horizon.arkiane.com/ for apartments in Les Arcs vacant this season shows some interesting figures:

First of all the 25/3/2016 has 345 apartments available. Even though this is close to peak season it is the most vacancies in the year and we can take this as fairly close to their inventory.

Christmas week is at nearly 50% capacity, New Year week, a third capacity and Easter week 3% capacity, but then who will book for Easter now.

Normally New Year week is the busiest of the year, but it appears many people are not skiing this New Year. Christmas is always a bit lower than New Year, but this year it there are more bookings. Some of the half terms weeks are also not doing particularly well either at the moment

date vacancies Percent occupied
24/12/2016 177 49
31/12/2016 232 33
07/01/2017 252 27
14/01/2017 198 43
21/01/2017 265 23
28/01/2017 197 43
04/02/2017 143 59
11/02/2017 85 75
18/02/2017 76 78
25/02/2017 233 32
04/03/2017 253 27
11/03/2017 239 31
18/03/2017 321 7
25/03/2017 345 0
01/04/2017 309 10
08/04/2017 256 26
15/04/2017 335 3
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our chalet in Les Gets, rather to our amazement, has been booked for Christmas, from 23rd for seven days, for a long time. We are nipping over,there for a fortnight till then, then back here arriving Christmas Eve afternoon, so the festive table will be set before we leave for some of the family joining us on Christmas Day.

But New Year is still available from 30th which we honestly had expected to go first. If it doesn't go we will meander our way back that week. We have also said that we will accept bookings of four, five or six nights if that made it more attractive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crystal have been heavily discounting NY week which is almost unheard of. I booked DIY to Selva months ago, friends now picking up packages out of Edinburgh with an extra day for less Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All very interesting. The poor snow conditions at the beginning of the last few seasons must be making a difference. But people are increasingly aware that they have choices, and that booking well in advance for such marginal weeks (snow-wise) is neither wise nor necessary.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the date for start of term is the real killer in terms of bookings. Most schools going back 3rd or 4th, but NY week doesn't start until 31st if going for the traditional Saturday travel day (30th for my apartment for an 8 night week, not that it has tempted anyone).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
All very interesting. The poor snow conditions at the beginning of the last few seasons must be making a difference. But people are increasingly aware that they have choices, and that booking well in advance for such marginal weeks (snow-wise) is neither wise nor necessary.
Early booking for NY week is normally necessary if you want to to meet your exact requirements. If people have choices about their dates surely the smart play is to wait and go in the first full week of January when prices are lower and resorts are much quieter?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, we decided quite early on in the year to go out ourselves for Christmas and New Year. Sons wanted to come and with one back at university and the other's place of work closed from 23rd December it made sense. We would probably have changed our arrival day in any case, as it is usually a Sunday to fit in with cleaners and management.
Not everywhere is quite so quiet in the first week though, we usually have a Russian couple staying then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll be in my place, with two different offspring and hangers on, over Christmas and New Year. We had a great time last year despite the awful snow - the kids had their lessons and really didn't mind the conditions in the least, and it wasn't cold. But we always went for the first cheap week in January before we had the apartment. When the kids were younger we took them out of school - life was simpler then!

If I had to go at New Year, and didn't have my own place, I'd wait till the last minute and be flexible.

But the snow's gonna be fine this Christmas! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now I am not renting I am going to Flachau the day after boxing day returning on Monday 2nd. 5 days bonus skiing and no need to fit in with changeover days. Daft thing is I am out again on Saturday 7th for 2 weeks. Hardly worth coming home but it's done now
latest report
@Pamski, pretty similar situation with us too!

I had a very early booking for Xmas (last spring). It created a nice flexible mid-week change over for New Year too (28/29/30 check in). I thought this would sort out the awkward arrival on New Year's Eve and would really help to sell the week....WRONG!

I then discovered (stupidity on my part) that the school holidays in the UK are pretty much over by the 2nd/3rd Jan and the kids have to get back to their real education!
So the knock-on is that all family bookings straddling the New Year are out the window as the kids have to get back.

We normally have the whole place booked out by a single group (have the last 10 years!) but this year we didn't even get any enquiries!

So now we are trying to flog the week by the room and have put it on the OTA's.
snow conditions
@flangesax, well if we do finally get a NY booking we will see if you still have a room available! But do you allow dogs?
ski holidays
The Alps are the canary in the coalmine for global warming.

Less snow and less frost are causing less skiing, less skiers, and less bookings.
ski holidays
There's a bit of a perfect storm going on of:

- a general trend to later booking
- 3 years of slow season starts, even if the actual skiing for many guests hasn't been as bad as it would have been pre-snowmaking - most guests have relatively low requirements as far as snow goes...!
- weird/tricky xmas/NY changeovers
- Brexit/Trump FX jitters and so uncertain costs and general uncertainty

We don't count on xmas week but even then we still have one NY week available. That said, we changed the furniture and then the pictures on that apartment last winter and I am wondering if that's made a difference!
ski holidays
@under a new name, That's exactly how i've been describing it to others!
@Pamski, don't be so hard on yourself wink
Of course!
latest report
First time ever that my apartment hasn't been booked for New Year.
snow report
I know our dates have been blocked on our calendar for a while, but we would normally still get a few enquiries or requests for cancellations for NY week. Conversely, our normally quiet January is fully booked.
ski holidays
I think a lot of TOs have shot themselves in the foot by moving the changeover day. Going from Sat/Sun to Fri I could understand but many of the big operators have gone to Tue (20th). Many people won't finish work for Xmas by then and with a late easter next year schools are breaking up for Xmas as late as possible; Result is they can't book that week. Combine with poor snow and pound and I think they're just not bothering.
I always book late for Xmas but I've not seen the discounts as high so early before.
snow conditions
@mikeycharlton, 24th we depart. And as of yesterday Crystal were selling this date under £500
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
Crystal have been heavily discounting NY week which is almost unheard of. I booked DIY to Selva months ago, friends now picking up packages out of Edinburgh with an extra day for less Sad

A mate at work has just booked Grand Bois in La Tania for Christmas week for about £700 for the four of them. As they (don't) say on Masterchef "Skiing doesn't get cheaper than this"
snow report
@adithorp, I agree. I looked at this as an option but then realised getting time off work before the Xmas shutdown is not ideal and with the last 3 years being low on snowfall the later we can hold out the better chance of the end of December snow dump LOL
ski holidays
With very little natural snow we still had a great time at La Tania last Christmas, so main risk for us booking earlier this year is that the deals are a lot better now. I'd happily ski just on Folyers all week if it is fully cannoned as it was last year though, so perhaps am easily pleased! Courchevel 1850 did have similarly complete artificial cover on its home runs, btw. On the flip side we got a cracking late deal to Val d'Isere at Easter, when we expected to holiday from home with a few days up North.
latest report
adithorp wrote:
I think a lot of TOs have shot themselves in the foot by moving the changeover day. Going from Sat/Sun to Fri I could understand but many of the big operators have gone to Tue (20th). Many people won't finish work for Xmas by then and with a late easter next year schools are breaking up for Xmas as late as possible; Result is they can't book that week. Combine with poor snow and pound and I think they're just not bothering.
I always book late for Xmas but I've not seen the discounts as high so early before.

Conversely, probably the only reason we booked with Crystal this year was that they offered flight dates on the 27th Dec. Wife is always reluctant to go before Xmas day itself so 24th was unlikely, and 31st was impossible as she's a teacher and was back at work on 5th Jan (she's subsequently moved schools and now actually doesn't go back until the 9th, but we didn't know that at the time and our son still goes back on the 5th).

The wife also doesn't like leaving it late to see what we can pick up so decision was made months ago, and we just have to take what comes with regards to snow conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ravelin, we have booked the same dates as yourself with Crystal. Perfect timing for us.
ski holidays
In Canada numbers are strong. Why? Possibly because the Canadian dollar's weak compared with the US dollar, for reasons which are deeper than Trump's fake tan. I do expect to see a reduction in UK numbers; I'd run the numbers but the daily mail people would accuse me of pessimism and it makes no difference.
snow conditions
Re school holidays, that has caught people out. One of the Edinburgh schools is going back on the Thursday (5 Jan) and friends have booked with Crystal out 30 back 7 Jan without checking. Tee hee. Our kids go back on the 9th.
snow report
Skiworld has a shedload of xmas availability and they are discounting heavily.

http://www.skiworld.co.uk/ski-deals/last-minute-offers
snow report
Bagged a week in Flaine for 24th-31st Dec.

4 star self catering apartment with outdoor pool, sauna etc, looks really nice. It's a 6 person apartment, although only 4 of us will be using it, so should be nice and spacious.

£325pp including flights and transfers.
snow conditions
@mikeycharlton, Thats a cracking deal
snow conditions
Well blow me but the chalet I am staying in over Xmas is now £376!! How on earth can the TO make any money on this?
snow report
I don't think they always do on the discounts. But its better to have people in as they are already paying for the chalet and the staff, so it covers the costs rather than losing out completely?
latest report
Yeah true. Just amazes me how much a TO is willing to discount just to put bums on seats. The flip side to this is it encourages people to book really late as they know they can get a good deal if they are not too bothered where they go.

You couldn't do a an overnight stay in London for that price during Xmas!

I thought I got a good deal 2 weeks ago @£500 Sad Sad
snow report
@chrisrawles, you had better stop looking.
snow conditions
@Pamski, Do it every time I book a holiday LOL. It's good market research. Well that's what I tell myself
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
@chrisrawles, you had better stop looking.

Never look, once you've booked!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy