Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere/La Thuile Dec10th

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is the right place for this so mods please move it if necessary

We're looking to take an early week b4 Xmas, 10th to 17th Dec, we'll also be skiing two weeks in 2017 so doesn't have to be anything fantastic.

There is an incredible deal available for La Rosiere, but it doesn't actually open until the 10th, so a bit concerned as to what we'd be likely to find, La Thuile opens earlier, but links don't open till 10th.

Assuming weather is ok, how likely are the links to be open? as being restricted to just La Rosiere would be pretty cr*p even for an early cheap week. Would we do better to pay a little more & go for somewhere like Alpe d'Huez (where we are going in Jan coincidentally) or Tignes? We don't want to go the following week 17 - 24th as brings us back too close to Xmas

In terms of the amount of skiing we do in a week we do cover a lot of ground & 160km of La Thuile La Rosiere combined would be just about enough, but how likely is it that it will be completely open? I appreciete it is not the most testing resort, but not too worried about that for an early week

Any input much appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Russbost as you can imagine its impossible to judge the weather for a particular day.

As you plan to go on the 10th and the resorts open on the 10th I dont see a problem except for the weather on the day.
yes you could go further up the valley to Tignes but I think you'll like the place you have chosen.

I've stayed in La Thuile a few years ago and the daily run was to go to La Roseire and back, except for the trips to Cormayer and Pila.
I think your lift pass in La Rosiere may give you a day in La Plagne or somewhere else .. but check.

They will want to have everything as open as they can for the 1st day of the season.
There is only one steep run in the area that I can remember and that is a run down into La Thuile gondola station.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never skied that early in the season but would not expect the whole of la rosiere to be open on 10th December. One of the best runs a red called Fontaine froide goes down quite low and still had the odd stone on it when we skied it during New Year week in a very good snow year.

Maybe you could email the tourist office and ask what runs they are planning to open at the start (snow conditions permitting)

Generally speaking I would recommend La Rosiere/La thuile but would probably not go there earlier than Christmas week.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't give much advice on the time of year, but when we were in La Thuile for a week in early March we did find that the link was often shut because of windy weather - in fact, we only ended up going across to La Rosiere once. We weren't too worried as there was enough for us in La Thuile, but you should consider that the link can't necessarily be relied upon. I think high winds are relatively common there.

The above sounds a little negative, but actually we had a really good holiday (liked both La Thuile and La Rosiere) and I'd happily return, especially if the price was right!

As DrLawn says, it would be worth finding out if the lift pass gives you days in other resorts. For example, the La Thuile/Espace San Bernardo pass included a day's skiing in Courmayeur, which we found to be a good, easy option for a different day as there were regular cheap buses there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have been to La Rosiere for the first week of the season when it was a poor start to the season and was very impressed with the way they managed the snow. I wouldn't worry. As I say, it was a very poor start to the season. There was snow higher up to ski without problems. Runs down to the resort were restricted but they always kept one or two open. They closed some resort runs on some days and others on other days, rotating them to preserve snow. It worked very well. Links to La Thuile were open and we could go across and back without difficulty. The snow in La Thuile was in better condition.
Don't worry
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the info, we've actually finished up booking a week in Tignes from 13th - 20th, not because we decided against La Rosiere, just because of what was available
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy