Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has your skiing improved this season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, it works for me, I keep the strap loose enogh to give me a degree of swinging mobility. But I don't use it often.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

A better way it's THE only way I've been taught.
and me. When you really need poles (punting along on the flat), the strap transmits the effort exerted by the whole arm and you don't need to clench fingers tightly all the time. A fairly loose grip is fine. For gentle pole planting on turns, it's probably less important how you grip but I've always assumed my early lessons were the accepted best method and I've never considered any other.

Answering the original question - no my skiing didn't improve but I didn't really expect it to. I'm happy on a sloping 'intermediate plateau' as it were and much enjoyed what I did without injury, fear or exhaustion. Not everyone feels the need for constant thrills, improving technique and off piste adventure. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Matteo, I've just got some leki poles, but find "triggering" them quite difficult. Do yours release easily?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B Well, not easily, but always when I don't want to!
While queuing, after having had a rest (like I described above)...I feel like it's enough a small inadvertent push on the button...My son used to play tricks on me with that. After a while I had to put a stop to it because it was becoming annoying!
The only time I would expect the release to happen is if the poles get tangled in a tree or stuck somewhere, thus threatening my arm/wrist integrity while skiing.As it is, it's not a perfect system, but I still like it.
Incidentally, this season the LEki poles w trigger system seems to have disappeared from the Italian stores. Methinks the system has not received a good welcome here...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Please read "Italian stores" as "my preferred two/three Italian stores"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I only got them because they were the cheapest set of poles left in the shop!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well a couple of years ago I had a fall which left most of my kit
scattered. Most of my kit except one pole.
Nothing bad happened but I decided I would have preferred that pole
to not still be with me. So I dont use the straps any more.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What I learned this year

1. to ski trees
2. to ski off-piste (not very successfully)
3. If I relax my body I ski much better
4. It's impossible to find your way in a whiteout
5. If you ski in a group expect to lose half of them by lunch
6. If it's a group skiing in a whiteout, expect to be on your own by the end of the first run.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This year I learned:

1. to ski AROUND trees
2. going out drinking the night before and then spending the first half hour of the morning in a bubble going up the mountain is not a pleasant experience. Going green
3. squirrels who don't run fast enough get skied over. Shocked
4. to not say "I never fall over" to my ski instructor at the start of a lesson - it's like a red-rag to a bull. Skullie Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowy,
Quote:

to not say "I never fall over" to my ski instructor at the start of a lesson - it's like a red-rag to a bull.

Many years ago when I was still only 9 or 10 years old one of my instructors used to let me do my own thing at the back of the class as long as I helped the smaller children if they fell over, when she was asked why she let me do this, the answer came back, "Because he never falls over"
Shock
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too early to say yet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Things I learnt:
1. Black runs scare the crap out of you at the top.
2. If your instructor says you can do it - he's probably right
3. Yell "I'm going now" just before you jump down that cliff - otherwise there's a good chance some bloke on a snowboard will think "hmm, looks quiet, I'll go" at the exact same split second as you. You then spend then next 30 minutes (OK 1 second but it seemed longer) looking at each other thinking "Oh poo-poo, he's going to hit me".
4. It's really hard to stop when you're sliding down L'Olympique (at Val d'Isere)
5 When you do get to the bottom (having managed to get your skis back and at least ski most of it) - you NEED to do it again!!
6 Don't do it again until your instructor's with you (see point 4)

David
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy