Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's your lift to ski time ratio.

Poster: A snowHead
In Zermatt a couple of weeks ago, we worked out that our lift time to skiing time ratio was about 3-4 to 1, which is quite frustrating.

What do you think that your ratio is? And what can you do to make it better (skiing more slowly is not acceptable!)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By bed to lift ratio is about 50yds Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go heli-skiing and reverse those figures.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
but it's the only way (ski slower)- lifts are always going to be slower than skiing down unless you manage to find a lift that goes up a shorter route than you come down (straight up a cliff face while the run winds over the back) or you are _veeerrryyy_ slow...I think 3-1 would be pretty good, I'm sure mine is worse than that as I tend to favour older slower chairs (quieter pistes attached to them normally).

If you go to schaldming you can get a print out to show you how you are doing (shows all lifts taken and how long between lifts, plus est. distance covered). I was mightily suprised to get printouts of ~30km a day....explains why I'm always so knackered by lunchtime! But lift to run was still pretty poor....

aj xx
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski through lunch. (Not saying I do Very Happy)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, a that is totally unacceptable behaviour in Zermatt, and b, it won't improve my ratio.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski le face in val D using the Olympic telecabine for access, 6-7 mins up and depending on how fast you ski 6-45 mins down or more
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

lifts are always going to be slower than skiing down

It's possible to get a sub 1:1 lift time:skiing time ratio if you try to race the big cable cars down, eg Snowbird, Courchevel, Alpe d'Huez etc, but you'll need to be a good skier!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I enjoy my lift time, but far prefer sitting on a high speed chair to a gondola. I appreciate the mountains just as much when sitting on a chair with a lovely cool breze blowing across me
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My bed to lift distance is 20m but unlike boredsurfin, I have to climb very slightly uphill....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

My bed to lift distance is 20m but unlike boredsurfin, I have to climb very slightly uphill....
Talk about taunting. With posts like that no wonder the driver left your stuff at the bottom of the hill wink , Had it been me I would have tossed an item out the back door every 10km starting in Calais wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plake, apparently the test of whether you're a decent skier is whether you can beat the funival train down in Val d'Isere, if you're really good you can get down before it has left the station!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, I think even I could beat it down if it didnt leave the station Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, find more difficult runs to do - "slower" doesn't necessarily mean "more comfortably". In Chamonix last weekend may ratio on-piste would probably have been similar to yours, but hit the faster lists, the off-piste and bumps and it was more like 1:1 or 1:2 (and I still managed 10000m vertical off-piste - cream-crackered the following day though).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, hear, hear....

My bed to lift ratio is apparently around 530 miles ( according to Google Earth and using Les Arcs as a target )... Sad
snow report
Richie_S,
Mouth's , bed to lift distance would have been much greater as the bed would have been the first bit bouncing down the hard shoulder
snow conditions
GrahamN, 10000m vertical off-piste from lifts in one day is worthy of much respect.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

Talk about taunting. With posts like that no wonder the driver left your stuff at the bottom of the hill wink , Had it been me I would have tossed an item out the back door every 10km starting in Calais wink

Razz Razz Razz
snow report
It's true that the big cable cars or funiculars give much quicker uplift but u also often have to wait longer for them to depart which has to count as lift time too surely? If you're lucky u might get 500m+ in 3 or 4 minutes, if you're unlucky, u might wait 10-15 mins for the next ride.
At least with chairs, you're straight on (if there's no queue).

I believe the difference in speed between an old style chairlift and one of the new detachables can be as much as 3:1 so using the new chairs is going to improve ratio greatly but, as ajhainey pointed out, the more people the lift carries, the busier the piste tends to be.
Last week in St Anton, my favourite spot was Zurs, between St Anton and Lech. The pistes were really quiet. But, with a few fast chairs (one with heated seats!) and never a hint of a queue; slowed by the occassional cautious off-piste detour between the runs, we must have been close to a 1:1.
latest report
On a recent trip to Tignes we hired a GPS unit through a company that charts your movements throughout your ski day. At the end of the day you get a printout of where you went, how far, how fast etc. My wife and I are good skiers and normally spend our ski weeks offpiste, but due to lack of snow and recent surgery (wife had arthroscopy 4 weeks before the trip) we were taking it easy and spend the day on blue and red pistes and had 2 hour lunch break. Our total ski time only amounted to 25% with a max speed of 66km/h. A group that we usually ski with had a ski to rest ratio of 36% with one of them clocking 99 km/h straightlining Trolles. These guys are very good and fit skiers and i think that to get a ratio of 1:1 for your days skiing would be very difficult.
snow conditions
Ski-time to lift-time ratios are actually at their highest since the dawn of skiing.

[and that information comes to you courtesy of my research assistant, Dawn]
snow conditions
We discussed this on our recent trip to Paradiski, and we clearly got more snow time compared to lift time on the Les Arcs side than La Plagne, even though they have installed some new fast lifts at critical points. I can imagine Zermatt is also slow, but Trois Vallees and Espace Killy faster.
It has a lot to do with geography. If you ski back under your lift you spend a lot of time going up, but if your lift links in a triangle of longer pistes then you get relatively more time on snow.
ski holidays
It was in Zermatt and Cervinia. Mostly on Cable Cars, a few chairs, no queues. Also just the two of us skiing, so no hanging around on the slopes, just on the lifts. Very Happy
ski holidays
The trick is obviously to ski/board slower and try to fall down and hug trees more often. Well, thats what I do at least.

The way some skiers race down the slopes in a rather straight line makes me think they really enjoy the lifts.
ski holidays
cdamian, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
my bed to big snowy mountain is about - eh just outside the window - and I am looking at snow dumping down again - out to play with the kids on it tomorrow ah fresh powder - but they expect me to be the ski tow Shocked snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy