Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet and/or boot bag?

Poster: A snowHead
Are either really necessary?

I was looking at a few combined bags that looked decent, but all are wider than the ridiculous 20cm depth you are allowed on budget airlines (that is BY FAR the most annoying thing about budget airlines, I wish they measured by volume)!!!

Anyway, so with that in mind, is a case really necessary, I guess I'm more worried about the helmet getting knocked, so was considering one of those hard cases as an alternative to a combined rucksack.

But, should I even bother with that, do most people simply chuck everything in a case and pad it out with clothes?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you trying to go hand luggage only? Good luck if so, but I'm sure it can be done.

My boots go in my main luggage and my helmet fits in my carry on, which then becomes my day sack. I have seen people hang helmets from their backpacks, but I'd be concerned about knocking it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was more a case of thinking I could maybe take the helmet and boots in a backpack and then a case separately with clothes (we normally just take 1 case between 1 of us).

I don't like the idea of the helmet hanging off, largely because then you're at the mercy of staff at the gates (I'd rather be sure one way or the other beforehand)!

Boots in the bag and helmet in the rucksack could work though...I guess there's no real need to worry about bumps then (unless you take a tumble when boarding Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry as a side point...would you be comfortable with the helmet in a checked bag though, or would you be worried about damage?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@vjmehra, We always put our helmets in our hold (checked) bags. Never any issues. Pack clothes around them. If I thought they were too fragile to go in a hold bag then probably not much use as head protection.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@vjmehra, I have pretty solid hard cases, so my helmet won't actually fit. But yeah, I prefer to know that its not been kicked around. Boots take up quite a lot of room though, so one case may be pushing it, and also due to the weight. If you've paid for skis, you can often check a boot bag in at the same time free of charge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After much pondering, chin stroking and gazing longingly at premium luggage solutions that didn't meet one or other airline requirements I eventually settled on a couple of these for my wife and I.
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Mountain_Pac_Square_Ski_Boot_Bag_One_Size_Fits_All_Black-(65404)
They are a basic bag, no padding or special features. There is the main bag and a pocket on one side which is useful for travel documents / magazine etc. My main requirement was bein able to take my boots and helmet within Easyjet's cabin allowance. The main problem with a lot of boot bags is that two ski boots next to each other are wider than 20cm. With this bag you can fit them in either slightly offset (alongside each other but with the cuff of one in front of the other) - or facing in opposite directions. There is then enough space in the top of the bag for helmet (I put my goggles inside the helmet, and then put it on top of the boots as if one of the boots was a head). There is some space in the bag (and inside the boots) for other odds and sods.
I would have liked a rucksack, as this single strap bag can be a bit awkward, but for the money I think it has been a good solution.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cad99uk wrote:
@vjmehra, We always put our helmets in our hold (checked) bags. Never any issues. Pack clothes around them. If I thought they were too fragile to go in a hold bag then probably not much use as head protection.

I wouldn't advise putting helmet in the hold. Its only polystyrene. It doesn't protect your head by being hard or tough. It is supposed to deform in an impact.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Themasterpiece, Thank you for your concern. I cannot see how the handling of hold luggage would subject a helmet to the sort of impact sustained in a major snowboarding accident.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I put my helmet in hold luggage before with no problem. It was completely wrapped in clothes though. Seeing as I bought it online and it turned up just in a cardboard box it was probably treated roughly enough by delivery drivers long before I got hold of it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a Dakine Boot Pack. I have one and it's by far the most comfortable way to take a helmet, and boots, in hand luggage.

If you really go mental, you can get gloves, jacket and salopettes in there as well if you put the gloves in the boots, the trousers in the helmet and wedge your jacket in around the boots. I'm 6'7" so if I can manage it then anybody can.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dp, does it fit within the hand luggage dimension rules? It looks like it would be too wide.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boots in checked luggage, helmet securely attached to carry on ski backpack via helmet net. Never banged it to my knowledge, much happier carrying it with me.

Would not trust a helmet once it's been through checked baggage personally looking at the damage/wear some of my luggage gains in transit, one good bang/heavy squashing and the compressible liner in the area of the impact (assuming its of typical construction) is just another hard surface you're banging your skull off if you're unfortunate.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 19-11-16 23:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
@dp, does it fit within the hand luggage dimension rules? It looks like it would be too wide.

Google says 48 x 36 x 33cm for that bag, even the relatively generous BA allowance is only 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cad99uk wrote:
@Themasterpiece, Thank you for your concern. I cannot see how the handling of hold luggage would subject a helmet to the sort of impact sustained in a major snowboarding accident.

Ever watched the baggage handlers at Grenoble?

As a motorcyclist, one of the first things you're taught is even dropping your helmet from above table hight is enough to bug the liner at the area of impact, and I suspect those helmets are designed to cope with substantially higher impacts..

It's your head though wink
snow report
That Dakine Boot bag is one I had my eyes on...but it's def too big for hand luggage Sad
snow report
@snowsmog, Yes, Grenoble and many other airports.
snow conditions
vjmehra wrote:
Are either really necessary?

I was looking at a few combined bags that looked decent, but all are wider than the ridiculous 20cm depth you are allowed on budget airlines (that is BY FAR the most annoying thing about budget airlines, I wish they measured by volume)!!!

Easyjet are 25cm. They only guarantee 20cm and say that 25cm "may" be put in the hold. However, I've never been asked to put it in the hold. If you pay for speedy boarding on EasyJet then you get two bags, one to 25cm and one laptop style bag for under the seat. Plus you get on first so unlikely to be asked to put it in the hold.
snow conditions
True, but its the not knowing that I hate! If there was an option to pay a bit extra and be allowed a bag up to 30cm or something I think I'd do that every time if it was guaranteed to be allowed!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy