Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Apres vs. Late Apres - a dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody!!

Anybody have any opinions on the ideal apres ski routine? In other words, is it better to do all your drinking directly after skiing or to wait until later as one would at home and drink till very late (early).

My normal apres-ski routine was a beer or two after skiing till about 6ish, +/- quick snooze (depending on how late the previous night was), shower and shave, dinner followed by a traditional Irish/English session till the wee hours and struggle up for skiing the next morning.

However this year, every day except one we continued drinking from 5 until 10,11,12 or so and had dinner either after or during. I found, to my surprise, that this method had serious advantages:
1. A full 8 hours sleep each night (at least!!!) made it much easier to get up for skiing and better quality of skiing once i got up there.
2. Didnt have to interrupt a couple of fun 5 oclock pints.
3. The post skiing adrenaline buzz made for a much better apres ski wee wee up as opposed to the previous situation where it would have dissipated after a big carb-heavy dinner.
4. Same amount of boozing, just at a better time

However there were disadvantages:
1. Showers often lost out in the haze of booze which made for a spectacularly smelly holiday!!
2. Inappropriate behaviour in reasonably respectable restaurants (pointless Iraq war - GW Bush debates at top of our voices between the musels and the fillet steak................)
3. Avoids having to go half-board and eating potentially awful food prepared by 18 year old kids.

It seems like im converted to the former (which is obviously only doable if you are not on halfboard) but im worried that i am making excuses for the fact that it was my first skitrip in my 30's and i can't handle the on the beer till 3 am, skiing at 9 am cycle i used to manage with ease.

Anyone else have any opinions?????

Cheers

Kevin Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski, Ski, Ski, then sleep. You can drink at home wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I tend to go for the straight off the slopes options, drink until dinner, have wine with dinner, collapse afterwards. Nightclubs in ski resorts tend to be horrendous places anyway, generally full of gangs of middle aged, balding, rotarian dentists. Not what I'd choose as an ideal night out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm only 35 and I couldn't be bothered with apres ski - I wouldn't be able to function the next day on the slopes and I'm teetotal. I'm the kind of person who needs my sleep or else I'm hopeless - I'm hopeless anyway (who said that!!) wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, I'm with you. Drink kills me at home, and at altitude.......well dont even ask
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey I'm 47 First lift last down Apres till 4am or later ........er no!
Tucked up in bed by 10 most nights Confused and sleep very well. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, as I said, I'm teetotal and not really a pubby/clubby type of person anyway. Even if I was, there is probably no way I could partake in apres ski, then be on the slopes in the morning. I like to go back to the hotel/chalet, have a nice shower, read a bit of my book, have dinner, some chat, back to my room, a bit more of my book, then sleep! When I was in Les Deux Alpes last year, I was first out and last in every single day. I am still at the "learning" stage (intermediateish!) so, maybe when I become better, I will have a long lie but, then again, maybe not, I savour every moment as I am only there for a week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love it all and I want it all, but sometimes the body won't allow me to have it.Sad

If we are staying in an Hotel, I tend to be on the slopes at 9.30-10.00 ish, lunch 12.30 - 1.30 and ski until 3.30/4.00 ish, then maybe one drink in the bar to catch up with everyone. Then off for a shower and a relax, and then dinner 7.30 with wine, and if I'm feeling up to it a few beers in the bar until about 10.00/11.00 ish, maybe later if I feel the need. Not gone the night club route whilst skiing - yet! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We take one of the last lifts down, have a couple of vin chaud and then head back to the appartment for food, a few beers and several games of sh*thead...first lift up in the morning
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On Sat night/Sun morning I did Apres ski till 3:30am but was on the piste for 9:00 am. The trick was to make sure I ate enough early and drank at least 50% less beers than the English group I was with. I've read that for recovery purposes it's better to eat within an hour of finisihing exercise. IMHO chalet/restaurant food at 7 or 8:00 pm is too late but most Brits will follow the holiday companies schedule.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark, pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is sh*thead Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It all depends whether I'm with the family or the football team!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, sh*thead is the most universal card game ever. Everyone I've met on my travels knows how to play it, from South America, to Europe, to New Zealand! and if they don't know, you teach them and thus the game lives on!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nightshift wrote:
IncogSkiSno, sh*thead is the most universal card game ever. Everyone I've met on my travels knows how to play it, from South America, to Europe, to New Zealand! and if they don't know, you teach them and thus the game lives on!

At the risk of encouraging this thread to wander off-topic, could someone please explain this game?

Back on-topic - I usually grab a quick shower and change of clothes after skiing then hit a bar until about 8, back home to eat then out again until the wee small hours.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike, umm, I don't really think I can! Plus, you'll find that if one of us starts explaining it, someone else will come back saying they play variations on my rules and we'll be here all day!!
It's not Mornington Crescent type complicated though - it's very simple!!
latest report
telford_mike, nightshift, I just googled it, thanks guys. My kids may like this one! Toofy Grin

http://www.pagat.com/beating/shithead.html
ski holidays
LOL just realized that in the link you can get away with the naughty words Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin,

Same here. Except you're older than me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, cool but as I thought, a few variations on my rules there! Either way, those are the basics and it's a great game!

Back on topic - quick drink after skiing but I hate being in my ski clothes when out in bars so I tend to head home quite quickly for a bath and book, then dinner and out till 1 - 2am ish. Skiing at about 10am or if it's really cold, not till lunchtime and then just buy a half day pass.
ski holidays
As someone who eats nowt for lunch, I'd just have a beer or maybe two coming off the piste, a sauna (if there) and a shower and then a feed before hitting the fleshpots I experienced Austria apre for the first time last year. No wonder they like their lunches, you need something to soak up some of the alcohol! I have never drunk that much after coming off the hill rolling eyes
latest report
Masque wrote:
As someone who eats nowt for lunch, I'd just have a beer or maybe two coming off the piste, a sauna (if there) and a shower and then a feed before hitting the fleshpots I experienced Austria apre for the first time last year. No wonder they like their lunches, you need something to soak up some of the alcohol! I have never drunk that much after coming off the hill rolling eyes

I honestly don't know how you can go through the day without lunch. If I start skiing at 9/9.30, I am starving by about 12/12.30!
latest report
nightshift, my kids have played it. It is with 2 people and looks a little like solitaire, I've seen them playing it but didn't know what it was.
snow report
IncogSkiSno, well now you do and depending on how old your kids are right now, no doubt they'll be playing it as a drinking game in years to come!!!!
My boyf and I play it constantly on holiday once we've run out of things to talk about after the first couple of drunken days of putting the world to rights!!
ski holidays
jb1970, I eat breakfast and like slow release carbs so I only start feeling hungry at about 4 so it's no hassle. But by 6, I need food, a beer will kill the edge but dinner is invariably late for my body clock. What I'd really like is a bowl of soup with that first beer when coming off the hill.
latest report
Apres ski routine varies but invariably involves at least 2 drinks straight off the slopes, kip, shower, food and more drinkies usually in bed by midnight - 1am and out for 9am. Can't be doing with this holier-than-thou no apres atitude.
snow report
My routine is ski ( well board ! ) til last lift shuts - have 2/3/4 beers in local bar or hotel bar. Shower, nap, dinner at 8ish. Plenty of wine. Repair to hotel bar / chalet communal area. Drink couple more beers. Retire to bed around midnight. Up for first lifts.

Generally, once in the week we'll stagger out after dinner and make the effort to go into town for the after dinner beer - this often results in some nonsense in a local club and a late night !

Sounds pretty dull... but in my defense, we're normally in a large group, so all you need is your friends and a cold beer for a good time - I am now a married man... things were different a few years ago ! Very Happy
latest report
When I was in my twenties/thirties it was drink stops during the day. Then start drinking straight after skiing until about 4am. Dragged out of bed to ski in the morning. Collapse after skiing holiday.

Now. Apres ski straight after skiing, like to catch a bar at the top of the last run of the day as well. Room party or bar, then lightning shower, dinner with wine, some post dinner beer, to bed at a reasonable hour ready to get up the next morning. Sometimes it goes wrong if the evening is going too well, and last to bed again!!

Masque, Communal plate of nachos with the first apres ski beers. Wonderfully civilised in Whistler.
snow conditions
Ah, that reminds me - Saalbach a couple of years back - Apres started with a brandy laced hot chocolate straight off the slopes as a pre-cursor to the beers. Now THAT was very civilised !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cymru am Byth, don't forget, there are a few of us who know the truth! Very Happy Laughing ("Ready to get up the next morning", and face the....was it Fischers or 5-stars Wink ?)
snow report
GrahamN, I did cover myself by saying that it all occasionally went wrong. In the PSB my plan was to start at 4.00 drink for a few hours then bed about 9 or 10 for an early start. I enjoyed too much and bed came at 1.00, not the first on the slopes then. Lucky Nick and Miss X were doing the same so I never held the group up. rolling eyes

Five Star. The phrase you guys used was not hangover friendly. I've got news for you, they're a lot more hangover friendly than the blades. Shocked
snow report
Last week was a first lift/last lift every day with immediate apres of a few beers from 5ish to 7ish before dinner with wine. Loiter over the wine whilst playing cards or similar and then to bed by midnight. Fantastic!
latest report
To be honest, if the snow's crap, some days I don't make it out at all. Very Happy
latest report
Kramer, What's that all about Puzzled
I don't understand Confused
snow report
Caspar, washing optional?
ski holidays
Masque, Depends if you are living in a motorhome or not. If not, then it is not optional (five minutes between beers is always possible).
snow report
Caspar, What's this five minutes between beers about. I take it that you have a stock of beer on your balcony. Have one with your shower. You obviously haven't shared a room with me. Laughing
snow report
Cymru am Byth, If you're at apres-ski then you simply finish a beer quicker than your mates. While they finish theirs and order your next one, you nip upstairs and get a cold one from the balcony to take into the shower with you. Unless you are overdoing the cleaning thing then you should be back to the bar in time to receive your next beer (without the pain of buying the damned thing) snowHead
ski holidays
Caspar, quite right. It's a really nasty habit to get into. Never used to do it, until I went on holiday with a female friend who wasn't a very keen skier, and she started me off. I can honestly say that I've never been the same since. Sad
ski holidays
Caspar, I can't decide if you're a genius or just cheap ... not a doctor are you? wink
latest report
drkpower-how on earth are you able to drink from 5pm till midnight and function the next day? You must have some constitution!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy