Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail - USA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skied in Vail, USA?

I found a half-price flight and accommodation bargain, but am not sure what it will be like there. I'd prefer to ski in Europe really as it is my first time, but I also need to keep the costs down and this does seem to be much cheaper than most of the packages I've seen for France or Austria.

We'll be travelling on the 1st April for one week or perhaps leavinga few days later.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wondercat, Vail is a good destination, I was there at the end of March last year, and had great snow conditions.
They have an excellent ski school - if you do choose to go, let me know, and I can point you to some specific instructors. (all of whom speak a close relation of English as their first language)
Depending on where you stay there is a free shuttle bus from East and West Vail to the slopes, or you can also stay in the main village. Nightlife is good, and prices are reasonable. If you want to blow your budget and treat your SO to dinner, then pre-book for the Game Creek Restaurant - it's not cheap, but it is excellent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll let you know in 2 weeks and 3 days.... Very Happy

Staying in Beaver Creek, but will definitely be hitting Vail. I'm a snowboarder but my partner is a skier, so we'll give you the lowdon for both Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Norbert666, you'll enjoy Beaver. They give out great choc chip cookies in the mornings. Just look for resort staff wandering around at the top of the escalator above the ticket windows.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only skied a day in Vail (we were in Breckenridge), but it looked great. We were there right at the beginning of April, and the snow was a bit soft, though there was plenty of it. If you're a first timer, a good deal of Vail's best bits might not be much use to you, but I should think that there'll be plenty of skiing for you. I seem to remember that most of the green (beginner) runs are lower down the slopes, so they will get softer, sooner. Mind you, it was spectacularly hot when we went, so with a bit of luck you'll be fine.

The village is one of the most repulsive places I've seen, however, a sort of ghastly Disneyland pastiche of a Tyrolean resort. There seemed to be some good bars and restaurants, though, and the centre is car free, IIRC.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone, still not made my mind up. It seems like a good deal, but think I'd really prefer to go to the Alps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went in the middle of the first gulf war when they were threatening to shoot down uk / us planes...it was under 300 for a fortnight and it was amazing. Lift queues were non existant as were drag lifts and t bars, terrain was varied, snow was perfect, sun was hot and pistes were quiet....over in Beaver even more quiet and gorgeous long cruising runs. Passes were about 180 quid a week with a superb exchange rate and 15 years ago so I would check that. Apres ski was a bit american and a slight disappointment, but overall friendly and fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just come back from a week in Vail. Excellent conditions. I loved it, although it snowed almost every day the visibility was OK thanks to all the trees - very different from the same conditions in some 'snowsure' place in Europe like Val Thorens or Tignes.
Some advice
- Prebook ski and boot hire with the tour operator, it is unbelievably expensive in Vail.
- Don't bother with car hire as you have to pay to park near the lifts in Vail, use the free bus service (every 15 minutes).
- Remember that in the USA you have to add 15% - 18% to all food or drink prices as a tip (and taxes for all items!)
- Make sure you visit Beaver Creek.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How much is it? You can ski for £165 catered chalet in feb at the moment on iglu??? Also bear in mind american passes/eqmpt is more expensive (in some cases much more) than eu equivalents.

www.igluski.com

aj xx
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I found the offer at Igluski too - £329 for a week in April - that includes flights from London to Denver.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be more tempted by this: http://www.igluski.com/offer.cfm?oid=68928432 or this http://www.igluski.com/offer.cfm?oid=68914027 or this http://www.igluski.com/offer.cfm?oid=66436181 - the latter being probably the best for a beginner due to the resrt.

Or do you have to be april? In which case vail starts to make more sense..Bear in mind those vail condos are priced for 4 inf there are only 2 of you you'd have a hefty suplement to pay.

aj xx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy