Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flachau or Wagrain

Poster: A snowHead
We are 4 fellas heading to Austria for 5 nights in January.
We are looking for some advice as to which is the better village to stay in.
Also is there a new link between Flachau and Flachauwinkl.
We skied Flachau for a day a few years ago and liked the area only there didn't seem to be much of a central village.
We might also consider Bad Hofgastein as we have not skied that area yet.
Our Flights are booked to Salzburg.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your post suggests that you maybe after apres ski and nightlife.
If so then go with Flachau.
Wagrain is a little quieter in the evenings but has a great couple of apres ski bars at the bottom of the graffenberg and the flying mozart.
Flachau has great apres ski bars along with a much more lively night life.

There is no link from Flachau to Flachau Winkl. There are still plans here and there from where to where but certainly not for this season!
There are regular busses up from Flachau to flachau winkl.
You can also get the busses from Wagrain to Kleinarl (the back of Flachau Winkl).

Flachau and Wagrain get very busy at peak times. More on the piste than lifts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Flangesax.
A bit of Apres would be nice were not really into nightlife.
Where would be the best place to base our self in the village or out near the lifts.
That's presuming there is a village as we did not see one the time we skied there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure what it is you are after.
What do you intent to do in the village?

You probably went to Space Jet 1 lift which is not in town but has possibly the best apres bar!
Star Jet one is more centrally located.
Achter jet is a bout a 7 minute walk away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@flangesax, so what are the best aprés bars in Flachau? We're going mob handed in Feb and a bit of local knowledge is useful. Whats good for a few jars coming off the hill, whats good if you're going out later etc...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We need the real Flachauers to answer that one...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard_Sideways, dampfkessel at the bottom of the space jet 1; hofstadl at the bottom of star jet 1, umbrella bar and the herzelalm at the bottom of the achterjet. Musistadl in the village for live music from 9 to about 1am. Yetis party house for clubbing and dancers. Emas pub for a few beers in the village. Alter neuwirt for something a bit classier
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Expertly answered there @holidayloverxx, wink Ange.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The other advantage of Flachau is that the bus to Flachauwinkl also serves the backdoor to Zauchensee, well worth a trip.

You asked about Bad Hofgastein, which is quite a different sort of place - more of a small town with lots of bars and restaurants but not so handy for access to slopes. And a very good spa if that's your sort of thing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx, you forgot the 'towns'!!

Downtown - cheesy club
Midtown - cheesy pub
Showtown - 'You can touch!'

The Hoo-Ruck is pretty good too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the info just have to convince the rest of the party now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dampfkessel is really good from about 16-19.00
Purzelbaum used to be really good, but the last few years its got pretty quiet up there, maybe not everyone was appreciative of the scantily clad dancers on the bar Puzzled
I still like Lisa Alm although its quite *pretentious* but they have some really good chill out style club nights with various DJs.
Emmas pub gets going a bit later.
Hofstadel is ok but like the "`Towns" pretty young......or maybe its just me getting old rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:
@holidayloverxx, you forgot the 'towns'!!

Downtown - cheesy club
Midtown - cheesy pub
Showtown - 'You can touch!'

The Hoo-Ruck is pretty good too.

Never been to the towns...maybe next time. Hoo ruck is now Almrausch
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chick, whichever you choose you'll have a great time.

@1gunsalute, Wagrain has a bus which takes you to Kleinarl, which is the back door to Flachauwinkl, which is the back door to...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, and owned by mr towny man.
Fire and Ice... if you want a club that thinks it is is better than it is.
snow conditions
@flangesax, fire and Ice I think is now part of essgalerie...New Restaurant taken over from la luma and extended. It was all ripped out in the summer. We stopped going to la luma but will try essgalerie
latest report
And now I've just had to find the Dampfkessel song video on my phone! Laughing
snow report
For civilised meals in good surroundings, Hoagascht and the Schusterhaus in central Flachau are highly recommended. Hoagascht is also a convivial place for a quiet drink if you can get through the door, though meals are clearly their main target. The Schusterhaus serves the best steak I've ever had in Austria, and reservations are essential as it is tiny.

Flachau has a good bus service to all of the lifts, so staying centrally has its attractions. We've stayed in Almlust over the Spar supermarket several times, and they have a wide choice of self-catering options. For higher end options, there are several good hotels.

Wagrain has the benefit of a public swimming pool, but little else to raise it over Flachau - both have good apres places at the bottom of the lifts, but outside of this Wagrain is quieter. Central Flachau suffers a little from being strung out along the main road and then back to the lifts so some of the places are a fair walk away.

Going in January, if you can be in Flachau when the women's night slalom is on, the town is buzzing - the draw on Monday is worth a visit, while the racing is great for those interested or if you just want to be part of the party. See http://www.flachau.com/skiweltcup/en/race/info/programme.html for the details - 9th and 10th January 2017.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info, will spread it out amongst the collective - one final question (which I KNOW will get asked) Where in town will be showing the football?
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, probably Emmas Pub.
@holidayloverxx, Fire and Ice is now the Essgalerie, and owned by a friend of mine, Markus who used to be the chef at Lisa Alm, that will be a really great place to eat I am sure.
Another really great new (ish) place to try is the Paularei, just a tiny bit out of the main drag at Flachau. Food is very good and they do an absolutely awesome Planters Punch Cool
latest report
Any suggestions for a decent Garni Hotel in a good location.
ski holidays
@Kooky, paulerei is on our regular nightcap List as it's 2 minutes from home. Was nor the impressed with the food
snow conditions
@Kooky, paulerei is on our regular nightcap List as it's 2 minutes from home. Was nor the impressed with the food
ski holidays
@Chick, I don't know what a gaenough hotel is. Describe what you want and I will have a think
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, what football?
snow report
@holidayloverxx, it's a hotel which only does B&B, so while it probably has a small bar, there's no need for a kitchen as breakfast is a standard continental buffet.
snow conditions
Ah ok....then I don't know of any. They tend to be apartments or proper hotels. Tourist information would be a good start
latest report
http://www.pension-tannenhof.com/ Or http://www.sonnhof-michis.at are the most obvious in Flachau, but I have no experience of either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Duplicate

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 18-11-16 0:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@ousekjarr, same thought here. Sonnhof is near a bus stop....Bit of walk to the achterjet but that is the nearest lift. I would recommend an apartment or small hotel to be nearer the lifts
latest report
@Chick, if you find somewhere you like I can tell you what it's like in terms of location
snow conditions
@Chick, if you find somewhere you like I can tell you what it's like in terms of location
ski holidays
@flangesax, it'll be premier league matches... actually, whatever matches contains Liverpool that week.
snow conditions
Thanks will check out some of the hotels.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy