Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The eternal question...buy or rent skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Not for me, I got my quiver.

What should my girlfriend do, with three weeks of skiing coming up this winter?

Her level is low intermediate now, or 6 on insideoutskiing's scale, and probably will be a solid to upper intermediate by the end of the winter, or 8 on the same scale (she progressed in about 14 days of skiing over one season from snowploughing on blues to being able to ski at the side of a red piste without fear)

- rent, see what she likes, decide to buy once she progresses further (downside might be time lost in renting, and maybe cost)
- buy a cheap pair of skis, it's still cheaper than renting
- rent and decide to buy what she likes, probably a lot more expensive than option 2 though, especially given that our first trip is to St Anton

We'll be driving to the slopes so no ski carriage costs to take into account.

She's definitely getting boots in December.

Any thoughts? anyone with something to sell that might be interesting?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it were me... I'd test lots of skis at St Anton (jennewein are good but no doubt so are the others), and develop a notion for the type of ski you want to buy. Wait until January when sales start happening, then buy online. I reckon you'd still be cheaper than buying in resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

cheaper than buying in resort

I don't know - if buying last season's skis you might well pick up a good deal.

But +1 to testing loads in St Anton. Switch in the evenings so as to not take up ski time. Shop might also sell you at Marked price - rental costs although you would be buying at resort cost however.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would definitely make sure that you tell the shop you want to buy a pair of ski's before renting. Almost all will deduct the rental cost if you buy. If they won't move on.
If she is skiing for 3 weeks in one winter then buying is a no-brainer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have my own skis...Why?....Probably it's just habit, as I have done since 1980. I'm not sure it's that logical, because:

- Hiring is fairly cheap these days.
- You can hire the skis for the conditions that are prevalent.
- You can keep up with the latest technology
- Ski Carriage/Servicing is so expensive, that you are out the cost of hiring
- Lugging them about airports etc. isn't much fun.

The advantage is that there is no messing about in hire shops, they are serviced how you want them to be and you know how they will feel to ski.

I swore I was going to go back to hiring...but then I saw some Scott The Ski with over 60% off....so now I own another set of skis. Doh!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just give up now and admit spyderjon's probably already got you in his sights
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Just give up now and admit spyderjon's probably already got you in his sights

Laughing

@horizon, just give her your DPS's & buy some decent skis Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horizon, I really don't think that the eternal question is "Buy or rent". It's something like- "will human nature ever change" or "do humans ever learn anything" or "what's the point of it all."

Nothing to do with "to skiset or not to skiset...."
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can pick up some from last season, you can buy now and sell them in a year or two. I saw my old skis for sale only £100 less than I bought them for 3 years ago (end of season), so £33 a season is cheap. Only problem is that its a false economy as you tend to hold onto old pairs just in case...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did the sane with Scott skis !!! Tried hiring a pair skis for one season ... Not impressed then i saw the scotts being advertised at the same time they were recomended by GBSki club
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having your own skis is sort of cool ... not so much at Geneva Airport, but on the number 26 bus from Cambridge to Royston.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@horizon,

To be honest, your question is similar to the one that I ask about my kids' skis every year. They will do 3 weeks but their skis won't last them long (partially improvement but mainly growing), if I don't pay too much then owning is cheaper than renting. A couple of differences: they are stronger skiers than your GF is at present, we can pass down skis from older to younger to get a bit more life out of them before we sell again. Like you we won't be paying ski carriage.

The approach that I have settled on is to buy second hand or ex-rental - something that is appropriate for them but restricted by what is available and not the "best in class". I've been paying £100-£150 for skis and bindings that we will get 3-6 weeks use out of and may even get some sell on value. For us it is mainly an economic decision plus a bit of convenience (get skis our of our cave rather than queue in hire shop). It's a bit of a no brainer really in our situation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of the downsides of renting is that you have to decide each time where and what to rent. Service and prices vary. Ski's come and go. Otherwise, you take pot luck. Owning a pair means one less thing to think about for a few years.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an example:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127928&highlight=
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't this the eternal question: can I take my boots as hand luggage? Mad

I acquired some suitable skis for my girlfriend (third week skier) second-hand. Even with ski carriage, this will be much cheaper than renting and we'll buy her a better pair of skis as she progresses this season and beyond. The convenience of avoiding the first evening or first morning rush at the hire shop is worth the pain of lugging them to, through and from the airport.
latest report
@horizon, Just a thought mate - my wife has a great pair of Volkl Auras (female version of Mantra, steel top sheet wood core etc) sat in our garage that I reckon she's grown out of, might fit your girlfriends requirements for the season and then move them on after? They are drilled for F10 Tour bindings on QK's, Spyderjon knows the centres etc I'm sure if you need info (her other skis are there right now, he could measure and advise what binding fits?)

I'm in St Anton 23 December same time as you (good for a few turns as arranged) and we're also driving....could bring them with us in Roofbox if you're interested. Not looking for big money......let me know and i'll FB you photos, think they're 156cm so a good ski for her level I'd suggest, they're fat enough to get into pow, turn well on piste, good carve at speed on piste and easy to throw about.

My wife's on CL WD R108's and CL Directors both 168cm now but she had fun times on the Auras. probably 5 years old I'd say, decent condition, all waxed and 3 degree edge angle ready to go. Was going to ebaaay them. wink
snow report
I'm with Paul Getty: If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it
latest report
^ Can vouch for his missus - tidy skier skis won't have been too abused.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy