Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc or Grand Massif?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to organise a holiday for myself and 6 other friends, 2 skiers and 5 snowboarders of mixed ability, for the first week of March 2017. And Evasion Mont Blanc and The Grand Massif seem to offer a lot of piste for relatively low cost when compared to better known resorts.

Would anyone be able to give me opinions of either? If you have opinions on both, even better. We would probably stay in Samoens for the Grand Massif or St Gervais for Evasion Mont Blanc.

It looks like Samoens has a fairly regular ski bus, but I can not find much information on St Gervais having a regular ski bus. A lot of the accommodation seems to be on a hill to the west of town (under the gondola) which might mean a bit of a steep walk to and from the gondola if there is no bus?

The slopes for both areas are fairly low, but I'd of thought we'd be fine early March unless we were extremely unfortunate. What are the slopes like for snowboarding in each resort? There appears to be a lot of drag lifts around Evasion Mont Blanc, but can these be avoided? Are there many flat areas in either?

Any and all insights into each area are gratefully received!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As long as it's week beginning 4 March, it should be a perfect time to visit either area (previous week still French school hols). Can't advise on your other queries.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only cursory experience of EMB so unable to offer you anything in regard to that.

However, I've been skiing for more that 20yrs in weeks 1,2 and 3 of march with alot of time in GM. Principally I'm a skier but learned boarding too and visited GM with only one week experience of a board.

There are virtually no flats to speak of so great for even raw beginner riding a board, only one of significance for me was top of Samoens across ridge toward LC which as an learner needed quite alot of speed to get there without walking but it's only the connect that way and mainly you'll be on other stuff anyway. You'd only have to walk about 100mtr anyway and you'll be in good company. Nowhere else did I have to get off and walk.
Some of the the widest most accessible pistes are all over the area so I'd rate it one of the best places to advance skill on both board or ski.

My two kids have virtually grown up skiing there and both progressed from zero to going anywhere, it's a really great place for it.

Samoens ski bus, not used it but see it going around, if no bus its within the realms to walk over to main lift from village. You can see one from the other as they are about 500mtrs apart, so not the end of the world if you miss one.

For choice to stay we as a family feel we can't beat Morillion, specifically Les Esserts and also known as Morillion 1100. Its small but located at the top of the telecabine that comes up from Morillion village on the valley floor. Here there is no problem getting to the lift as all accommodation is just walking out onto the snow.
It is fairly quite at night so a consideration if you want big apre. There are cafés shops restaurants and bars, just not a huge amount. Has a small supermarket that is fine for a weeks self catering but also some good food is served.
It is easily connected skiing wise into the general area with one of the best green runs in any ski area coming back into M1100, called Marvel. I know that sounds tame but it's a beautifully rolling turning long and wide piste from top to bottom.
The whole of GM offers some of the best access to mixed skilled groups, including right to the highest lift served areas so you can all run together. Virtually no drag lifts and certainly none you'd be forced to use to get anywhere. Most of the chairs are new as well with only two high speed lifts needed to get you all the way back from Flaine bowl to Morillion. It's a great area.

I'm in danger of sounding like an employee of the local tourist info bureau! But it's really that good for mixed ability. Also we've only had one closed piste when going at the beginning of March in ten years.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chrismurray1986, lots of frequent small ski buses going around StG but best to stay in town if you can
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chrismurray1986,

You CAN avoid the drags around EMB but on the Bettex/St G side if you do that you will find some long green flattish pistes which are probably a bit of a pain on a board TBH. I wouldn't say it was ideal (on skis I think it would be a good choice). I would have high confidence in the snow in early March. I wouldn't BOOK for Xmas or end March though (leave it late).

Les Contamines (also on the EMB pass but not linked) has better snow and better terrain (in general but for snowboarders in particular) but you would lose on the big, linked ski area that you are looking for. Unless you are going to have a car, in which case it is very easy to drive 10 mins to the big car park at the St G gondola for some extra mileage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's all really great information, thanks.

Quote:

I'm in danger of sounding like an employee of the local tourist info bureau!

I think you've sold it to me!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy