Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why oh why can't we have decent websites for ski areas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not too much to ask?

Surely?

But patently it is. They are all crap.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Jungfrau Region website. It's like going back to 1995.

http://www.jungfrau.ch
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that depends where precisely you were in 1995. Here is where they were:
https://web.archive.org/web/19970105120728/http://www.jungfrau.ch/
Some some quite considerable progress, then.

The current site is in https://typo3.org/, not something I've come across.

I'm no fan, but I got to a decent (no flashing garbage on it) piste map in two clicks, which is better than most resort websites I'd say. Perhaps that would be a useful metric to compare these... but then it depends what people want to find. Me: piste map/ ticket price/ opening dates and hours.

You tend to find better design when the website is a "front door" for the business, which in this case may not actually be the case. It's possible, for example, that people decide where they want to go, then use the website for reassurance, in which case having a great site may not be a huge priority. Perhaps they "shop around" via web forums (!) or tour operator brochures.

And then what people think is good is quite varied. Technical people, for example used to think "valid" markup meant "good", where as businesses and users would not see than as remotely important.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, Also, which lifts and pistes are open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drammeister wrote:
http://www.skiplan.com/stations-temps-reel/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, my gripe today was the ridiculously crap "interactive" map from the Grand Massif that simply will not load on my iPad Air2.

And no proper dates.

Etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
http://www.skiplan.com/stations-temps-reel/

Thanks for the link; I always have to try and work out what the skiplan address for is for each ski resort.

It also goes to prove the OP's point that you have to go to a third party site to see decent lift and piste opening info.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there are lots of websites out there which dont fulfill the requirements of the people who want to use them.
Not just for Ski Resorts but for just about anything.

I have the feeling that many web designers forget about what the user wants to find there, rather than show off their fancy artistic abilities.

You know what I mean.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, the web designer is not the client. You can make suggestions and maybe steer the project in a particular direction, but ultimately it is down to the people paying for it, who often have their own ideas rolling eyes Personally, I'm an "information first" type of person – there is no point having a flashy website if it won't load on a phone because the bloat is too big. That visitor has gone.

And yes, a lot of resort websites are terrible at actually supplying useful information in a way that you can find it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, www.bergfex.com is my go to for weather, piste maps, resort details (opening dates etc).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AthersT, cheers, I don't really need the info these days, but keep finding instances of crap site building - usually when checking facts before posting on here snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some resort sites are useful-ish. The worst culprits that I've seen are the Portes du Soleil ones. Especially the stupid annoying autoplaying background music. Thought that music tag went out of fashion when the likes of geocities became history!
The Austrian sites I've visited do actually have some information (although admittedly one appears to be stuck in about 1999).

You're not supposed to "use" things these days. You're supposed to "experience" them. I experience such flashturbation by hitting the close page or back button.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:

The current site is in https://typo3.org/, not something I've come across.

Very widely used in Switzerland, I believe the Typo3 association is based there. It is a PHP based CMS. Very flexible for building websites but suffers usual PHP issues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of the 1 billion websites on the entire planet, only 1 is truly great. It is called Google.

There are about ~100 that are very good, like Amazon or Alibaba.

The remaining ~99% are average or cr*p.

Developer nerds rarely understand normal people's usage behavior, while developer bosses tend to overload sites with everything to stop everyone whining when that little button or image they love is not included.

Finding a decent ski resort website is rare.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy