Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me some ADVANCED PISTE SKIS pretty please!

Poster: A snowHead
I've skied 30+ years and never really had my own skis, now living in Scotland and really wanting to get some good skis secondhand/ exhire for the coming season. I got some off SkiBarn last winter, as they were an awesome price (Rossignol Pursuit 13's, 163cm), but realised very quickly - skiing on piste in Scotland - that they're too flexible/ light/ short for me, and that I really know nothing about where to start in terms of researching a better option. The only other ski I've used regularly was an old Salomon X-Max of my Dad's - at around 185cm it was much too long and heavy for me.

I will be mainly using them to ski in Scotland, so don't want a fancy-pants new expensive ski. Something around the £300 mark including bindings, so second hand/ ex hire/ ex demo would work, so that I won't be gutted if I hit rocks.

I am a tall female (180cm), weighing 85kg. I think my optimum ski length would be around 172cm, give or take a couple of centimetres. I'm thinking I'd be happy on men's skis, given my height and weight.

I'm a fairly aggressive piste skier, occasionally wandering slightly offpiste, and occasionally hitting the park. I want something fast and heavier/ more rigid than the Rossingol Pursuit 13's that can handle short hard turns.

Hope someone out there can help! Even if you can't suggest a specific ski, any tips on technical details to search for would be appreciated. Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My keyholder for our apartment also owns a local ski hire shop gave me a set of skis in May that he thinks are up there with the best for piste. They are Head Supershape Magnums but i've not tried them yet. Will be nipping out end November to try them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's really interesting - the only suggestion I had so far from a friend/ colleague was Head Supershape Titans.... so thanks for that Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there and welcome.

Some ideas.

For a Piste ski: Völkl Flair SC UVO
A little wider: Völkl Flair 81
More All Mountain: Blizzard Black Pearl

All the above skis should be suitable for hard charging.

Edit: Sorry, I've just red your post again and these may be too "fancy pants"....maybe keep an eye out at Glisshop or Ekosport for previous years skis from the likes of Volkl, Blizzard, Dynastar, Kastle and Rossignol.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 12-11-16 21:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much! Even if they're too flash for my budget, it'll help me to look at the specs anyway.. and thank you for the shop suggestions... that's helpful!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@daisyface, there is the Ellis Brigham ski test at Braehead tomorrow, if not too far away?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Height, weight and style wise I'm pretty well identical to you. I'm male but don't see that that would make a huge difference.

Head Supershape Magnums would be my suggestion. They're great for really charging on piste. I skied on them in good conditions last season in Austria and had a lot of fun. When I ventured off piste with them though it was obvious that they were not designed for fluffy stuff. However, I then took them up to Aviemore and they were in they're element. What Ice?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is the sort of thing that might suit. It's a men's ski and with the extra 10% off, it comes to 327 GBP with binding: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/dynastar/cr_74_fluid_x_spx_12_fluid_b80_white_icon-83767.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally LOVE the Head Titans. Tried Titans and Magnums, yes on perfectly groomed and ice slopes magnums just have the edge but in crud and for something with a little (and I stress this is no where near an off piste ski!) it is perfect!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As others have aid, Head Supershapes are really one of the world's staple on-piste carving skis and for good reason. Personally I have Head Revs which are their 'all mountain' skis but I personally think if you're a good skier they can outperform the Supershapes.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again, my favourite carving ski for actually having fun is the Scott Black Majic. I think this year's model is a 175. I seriously think it's the most fun piste ski I can think of. It carves very well but it jumps from side to side really well and as long as you don't let it take you for a ride, I really think it's a lot more fun to ski on than Supershapes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@daisyface, Blizzard Latigos 177cms QED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Head supershape range, try them all, personal preference are the titans as it gives you a little extra in more conditions
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My piste skis are Head Titans and I love them. If you want to try something a bit bigger and stiffer than your Rossi's I've got an old pair of Head Xenon 10.0 that I could sell you for £50. They're 170cm long and in very good condition.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bought some Titan Rallys last year and love them, almost achieved my ambition to carve so hard thst my elbow skims the snow, I find them good off piste but I was used to skiing off piste with just 67mm underfoot
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look on Keller-sports.co.uk. They have some of last years supershapes for about £350.
snow conditions
@daisyface, have a look on here under snow base for any other ideas. Lots of people love the heads, but they don't have much rebound when you bend them. Try and have a test run on them first before you buy.
snow report
Most skis these days are pretty decent. Hard to find a truly bad pair.

@captainslow, what do you mean about "rebound"?
snow conditions
I have both the Head Magnums and the Titans.....both great ski's but i prefer the Magnums for general piste skiing. The Titans i feel i have to work more, little bit wider under foot. The Magnums are just so much fun.
ski holidays
+1 for the Titans.
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, + 1 a great piste ski! As recommended by Spyderjon
latest report
So anyone else used Ski Barn

" I got some off SkiBarn last winter, as they were an awesome price"

How used is used?
snow conditions
@under a new name, how much pop the ski has to spring back as you release it from one turn to start the next.

The heads are nice and reasonably forgiving but don't then launch you into the next turn, all depends upon what you like.
snow report
@captainslow, You can't say that about all Heads. The FIS race skis are pretty poppy.
ski holidays
captainslow wrote:
@under a new name, how much pop the ski has to spring back as you release it from one turn to start the next.

The heads are nice and reasonably forgiving but don't then launch you into the next turn, all depends upon what you like.

Sorry but this isn't true regards Head skis and being poppy

Yes the titans are forgiving and obviously more forgiving than my Head FIS Sl skis, but they have a lot of pop. They are one of those skis (many are) where the more you put in the more you get out. Yes you can be lazy and carve with little pressure, but the minute you drive them you need to hold on. Many times they've pinging me about and I love it Happy. A,bit like shouting the wifes sister name 'half way though' you just have to hold on for dear life Happy
snow report
@esaw1 thank you that's really helpful, and scanning down the other messages, the Head Supershapes are definitely where I need to be focussing my search!
ski holidays
@esaw1, thank you that's really helpful, and scanning down the other messages, the Head Supershapes are definitely where I need to be focussing my search!
latest report
@Old Fartbag, Thanks for the link! Very Happy
latest report
@PaulC1984, Thanks that's really helpful - along with most other people who've replied, you're really helping me focus the search to the Supershape range, and I take your point about them not being an offpiste ski Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Valkyrie, Thanks so much for your response - and for your offer of your Head Xenon's. I'm going to look more into the Supershape series initially, but might well come back to you about those Xenon's Very Happy Thanks.
ski holidays
@dp, Thanks for your input! Really helpful Smile
ski holidays
I've seen a lot of ex rental skis for sale on eBay ... I think its a Polish seller.

These 282181027344 (on eBay)
Salomon 24 hours they are a great piste ski ... I've got a pair of these myself and I like them.

And the price is as cheap as chips!
latest report
@skimastaaah, Oh they're just so prettyyyy, I love the design, BUT I can't ignore all the amazing things people are saying about the Supershapes. Thanks though!
snow report
@Little Martin, Thanks, it's really good to see such a strong consensus towards the Supershapes
snow report
@tangowaggon, Thank you so much for the input!
snow conditions
@daisyface, not sure where you live but Ellis Brigham in Tamworth have the Head Titans, Magnums and I think the odd set of blizzards you can trial FOC. Id imagine most snowdomes with an EB or snow and rock have the same skis to trial
snow conditions
@deerman, @deerman, thanks for the link - I've been checking it out.
ski holidays
@captainslow, That could work well for me - I'm wanting something more rigid, and much less flexible than the Rossignols, so if that's what you mean, then that's helpful too! Thank you.
ski holidays
oops I should have said 272380370551
A bit more money, but still a bargain.
ski holidays
@Wolski, @Snowsartre, @scootsman1, Thanks so much y'all - very helpful to have such a strong consensus!
latest report
@oldmike, Mine were ex-hire, but quite clear from the photos about how used they were - and I think they are quite good in their descriptions etc. They don't have any super shapes for me, but I was impressed with their service, and the wrong choice of ski was entirely my own fault! For the price I paid (£80 including next day delivery, servicing and bindings), I'm happy to hang onto them as a spare!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy