Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tesco Premium Card - includes winter sports ins??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm being very tempted by the current offer for the new Tesco Premium Credit card as it comes with a very good bonus of additional points - which can be converted to Virgin air miles. It also comes with a reasonably good travel insurance which includes winter sports cover - however - I am dithering as the wording for off piste states - you will not be covered unless accompanied by a guide or instructor - compared to my current policy that allows off piste as long as it is within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines.

This policy covers myself and husband - we do very little off piste.

My question is - to ensure we were 100% covered if we did venture off piste can I purchase basic ski cover (to include off piste) purely for the weeks we are away skiing? And approx how much would this cost??

There is an annual charge of £150 on this Tesco Premium Credit card which is less than what I pay for our annual world wide travel insurance???

Any thoughts please?? Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dippy wrote:
My question is - to ensure we were 100% covered if we did venture off piste can I purchase basic ski cover (to include off piste) purely for the weeks we are away skiing? And approx how much would this cost??

May I respectfully suggest you try calling Tescos rather than asking a bunch of internet weirdos snowHead to guess?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dippy, if you are in France, you could purchase Carte/Carré Neige insurance with your lift pass, but why not just buy a policy that is appropriate for your needs rather than one which is giving you points but not suitable cover.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dippy wrote:
I'm being very tempted by the current offer for the new Tesco Premium Credit card as it comes with a very good bonus of additional points - which can be converted to Virgin air miles. It also comes with a reasonably good travel insurance which includes winter sports cover - however - I am dithering as the wording for off piste states - you will not be covered unless accompanied by a guide or instructor - compared to my current policy that allows off piste as long as it is within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines.

This policy covers myself and husband - we do very little off piste.

There is an annual charge of £150 on this Tesco Premium Credit card which is less than what I pay for our annual world wide travel insurance???

Any thoughts please?? Confused

If you do very little off piste then I would think it not difficult to extend that to not skiing off piste at all.

The alternative is to not take out this policy at all but to stick with your current policy and pay slightly more.

It will cost you more to extend the Tesco cover anyway. And you would have to do that if you want to be sure you are covered.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have read the small print - wording exactly as stated above - tesco ins will only cover off piste if accompanied by guide or instructor - the rest of the policy covers all our needs for winter sports cover and for rest of world travel for the year.

Carte Neige ins with lift pass would work well - thats what I was trying to think of but could not recall - thank you!

The £150 annual fee would be cheaper than our annual travel ins - plus we would earn at least an additional 30,000 virgin airmiles - which I also collect via other means.

Conclusion: - we either stay on piste if unaccompanied (fairly easy for me) or purchase carte Neige to ensure we are fully covered.
I think thats right!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dippy, beware that if you are injured off-piste without a guide, your Tesco insurance won't be valid to get you home, even though you will have been rescued by your separate off-piste insurance. Make sure the additional cover you buy gets you home too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There has been a lot of debate in the past in regard of what carte neige gives you and how it embeds with your travel insurance.

Frankly it's a can of worms and you will probably only know when it actually happens. CN though does at least mean you will get off the hill without any expense.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, not sure it's quite a can of worms, policy details are published online, and are available in English. This is Serre Chevalier's policy for 2,90€ per day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dippy, have a look at the Nationwide Flex premium or whatever it is called - it's a tenner a month and includes unlimited days winter sports family worldwide cover plus UK breakdown cover so more than pays for itself.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@always29, it still doesn't include off-piste without a guide or instructor
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@always29, +1 for the Nationwide flex though we don't go off piste now
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
@Layne, not sure it's quite a can of worms, policy details are published online, and are available in English. This is Serre Chevalier's policy for 2,90€ per day.

Off piste skiing and travel insurance in general is a can of worms. Adding CN into the mix helps in some ways (double coverage) but adds complexity in other ways. For example you go off piste, need rescue. CN gets you off the hill with no hassle or payment. But then you have to go to your insurance company who may well ask if you were skiing off piste. You could lie but that is fraud. And so on.

I don't have a concrete solution. Don't believe there is one. I use MPI because they give me most confidence in understanding the off piste aspect of skiing. Snowcard is an alternative but more expensive. Mountaineering club insurance seems to be similar.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.assursport.fr ski insurance cover repatriation, helicopter rescue etc. It's about €20 for a week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet,
Assursport looked interesting, but the cover is low
Assistance and Repatriation €10,000
Medical Expenses €5,000
My wife's air ambulance repatriation from France last year cost the insurance company in excess of £30k
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timc, Shocked well that's good to know, I suppose. I've never had to claim so am probably a bit naïve about the costs. With a guide, I'm covered by TSB who I think have a higher level of cover.
Hope your wife has recovered from her injury.
snow report
Hells Bells - thank you very good point to take into account! As are other comments to consider!

i would only be interested in the Tesco Premium (compared to other card offers) as this will add a nice amount to my already decent amount of virgin air miles.
My current insurance expires in March so would cover our january trip anyway. Maybe I will just get separate winter sports ins for our trips in March/April. That would still be a nice little saving - that way all is covered!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy