Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is a knee injury "healed"?

Poster: A snowHead
specifically mine. You may recall I did it back in September 2005. Had pretty near full range of movement by December, and since then it's coped with the heavy rowing training I've been doing with only very very minor pain and stiffness the begining. Now rowing for an hour at a mild pace/running for 30mins at a mild pace, without twinges. But there's still a blue-ish area (size of a 20p coin) at the epicentre of the bruise site.

Should the presence of bruising indicate the knee's not properly healed and I need to hold off going back on skis? Or is skiing ok so long as the joint is functionally ok. Which it is.

Don't want to hold off getting back on planks, but also don't want to add to my injury!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no expert, but bruising is an indication of internal bleeding, so I would suggest that the healing process is not complete. I hope Kramer comes along to give you some more guidance, but I'd be nervous based upon my rugby, mountain biking, skiing experiences. If in doubt, why not go to a sports remedial physio for an assessment. It should not break the bank if you go privately. I've just had an assessment on my back injury and it only cost £50 ish.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter B, spent £35 on private physio 5wks after the event and was told no structural damage, and that the purple bruising radiating the size of an outstetched palm was "just" (albeit massive) soft tissue bruising. If I return now physio's advice ain't gonna be anything different but will cost a further £35! Evil or Very Mad

What I want to know now, and which seems excessive to spent £50 on, is whether the presence of bruising at this stage is indicative of anything, well, worth worrying about. If it is, then I might think about spending another £50 quid! Or I might just leave off skiing until the bruising is well and truely gone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Now rowing for an hour at a mild pace/running for 30mins at a mild pace, without twinges

If youre doing all that without pain and any reaction then I wouldnt worry about skiing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im just off to physio in about 10mins.

Doc sent me to hospital who has booked me in for keyhole.
Apparently torn my cartilage and MCL but til keyhole they dont exactly know.
But I didnt get any bruising, but on first morning after it happened I awoke and semi cried to other half, 'look at the colour of it' but it was the fluff from bed stuck to the anti flammatory cream!!

Been over 3 weeks since done it (in Les Arcs!) but I still cannot straighten it.

So I do sympothise with you.

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Manda, to still have bruising 4 months after the original injury is extremely unusual, and is worth getting checked out to make sure that is what it actually is.

From the point of view of your knee, if you didn't break anything, or tear any vital structures, and it's functioning normally and painlessly then it has essentially healed, if not then it is still going through the healing process - which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't now exercise it.

As always with these things, I can't give much meaningful advice without seeing and examining the injury myself, if in doubt, go and see a proper doctor, or a sports physiotherapist.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Manda,

I'm with Frosty the Snowman on this. You have tried to equate training with the type of activty you want to do and it seems ok. Just follow up Kramer's advice to see that there are no complication/other issues and don't go too mad on the first few days.

Pain is a pretty good indicator and you probably have better conditioned legs than a lot of skiers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

spent £35 on private physio 5wks after the event and was told no structural damage

As an ex(junior) orthopod worry about this statement - unless the physio had MRI scans available of the knee and a report from the radiolologist to confirm no structural damage in which case I apologise....
Otherwise once again agree with Kramer's medical advice (and caveat about not having examined it myself)- if there's still bruising at 4 months probably a good idea to get an opinion from either an orthopedic or sports medicine doctor - although if it was my knee as long as it didn't hurt too much then it wouldn't stop me skiing...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer wrote:

Manda, to still have bruising 4 months after the original injury is extremely unusual, and is worth getting checked out to make sure that is what it actually is.

I think this is a very important point. Your injury ought to have healed by now, whether that be properly or badly. Bruising is an acute thing. It develops, evolves and resolves. It doesn't just stay there. If there is continuing damage causing recurrent bleeding then bruising may persist but will not be static. It will constantly be changing in size, colour, tenderness, texture etc however subtly. There are other skin changes which can mimic bruising. Haemosiderin deposition for instance is a common cause of a similar appearance (probably not applicable to you and harmless in itself).

From your description of the state of function of your knee, it sounds like to all intents and purposes your knee's healed and fully functional. From your description alone, I couldn't see why you shouldn't ski on it. However, the usual caveat of not being able to offer an opinion of any validity without a full hands-on assessment applies. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, I dunno if you saw the thread I had about the proper way for falling - the girl in question having got back to the UK has suffered torn cruciate and medial.

She had done some cartlidge damage last year on her first knee injury - her knee was fine before coming up and she had been running and rowing too.

She went and bought a knee support, after the accident this season the doc said that the support she had bought was useless for the kind of support she needed to avoid what happened I would suggest talk with a sports bandage expert and possibly try it with a metal support at first until you have your snow legs and confidence up.

I am no expert by the way, just from what has happened so far this season
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

slikedges,
Quote:
Haemosiderin deposition
Shocked A what/who? Having ferreted around a medical dictionary I *think* you're right that this doesn't relate to me. I think.

Anyhow. I've just poked and prodded the bruise. Doesn't hurt to poke and prod it, BTW. Having read all your comments am tending towards a conclusion now that it's probably just a form of scar tissue wot's formed under the skin surface.

Will do (gentle) battle with planks at local dry slope and see how the knee takes it. Clearly if it doesn't take it then it's not healed!! wink snowHead

Interestingly my masseuse now finds my right thigh muscles are tighter than my left (the left being the ex-injured one). There's no identifiable cause for this in my training, so it's got to be purely psychological - I've gotten used to favouring my good leg and still to do so despite not needing to! Sigh. Back to the gym for my left leg....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda, I still think that you should get a proper doctor to have a look at the mark on your knee.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, as usual Kramer, is giving good advice. Haemosiderin is a break-down product of haemoglobin but usually doesn't get a chance to form because the clot is removed by the inflammatory process. Sometimes, either with a very big bruise (like you had) or if there is recurrent bleeding in one spot (you sometimes see it when a varicose vein is near the surface) the inflammaotry process is inadequate to remove all the clot and haemosiderin is deposited. It is an iron compound and it is a bit like being tattooed with rust (i.e. it usually doesn't go away).

I don't think it is bruising because it isn't tender.

The one point that I would make to you about your rehab so far is that it seems to have all been "straight line" with little sudden change of direction (the sports therapists and coaches call this "cutting") and that it would probably be a good idea to do some work on uneven surfaces now e.g. running on a beach or grass (Hill Head is very good for this because there is both a grass area and a pebbley beach!) to re-educate your knee to be able to deal with the unexpected.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, last time a "proper" doctor looked at my knee, she said it would heal in time. To which my internal reaction was "S**t Shirlock, really? I'll have my taxes back, please." She was a GP, so fair's fair. So about 4-5 weeks thereafter I paid this chap: http://www.hantscare.com/company_profile.htm, who confirmed the same.

I presume that's enough doctoring for now....

Nick L yeah, good point snowHead Am already in need of cross-training to balance out the rowing-centric stuff, it's a matter of fitting it in! Used to play netball, which was good for "cutting". But present time-demands mean that all I can squeeze in is jogging on uneven surfaces. And maybe fartleck shuttle runs. And wobble boards for lower-leg gym stuff. Will have a think about other options too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the sound of it, your attitude to your poor doctor leaves a lot to be desired. They gave you the same advice as your expert, and yet you're still not happy?

As for my advice about getting someone to have a quick look at the mark on your knee, either take it or leave it. A new mark on your skin should probably be checked out, just to confirm that it's nothing more serious, but it's your knee, and your skin.
snow report
Manda wrote:
Kramer, last time a "proper" doctor looked at my knee, she said it would heal in time. To which my internal reaction was "S**t Shirlock, really? I'll have my taxes back, please."

What did you want to be told?
ski holidays
Manda, 3 docs here have all said get it checked out. Persistent skin discolouration even when in the locality of a previous injury should be checked out. Probably nothing but should be checked out. PS my wife's a consultant dermatologist.
ski holidays
Manda, I think that you may have misunderstood what I meant by a "proper doctor". I meant a proper doctor in real life as opposed to some blokes (ie us!) off the internet. I didn't mean it to be denigrating to any other professional that you may have seen. Sorry if it came across that way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy